Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Parasites, BIG EFFING PARASITES  (Read 6442 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Parasites, BIG EFFING PARASITES
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:29:31 pm »

After going through a few topics, I've decided to suggest parasites. I'm not talking about those small tape worms or laying eggs in flesh bot flys. NOOO, I'm talking about something way more hardcore.

Remember that movie aliens? Remember that one scene where some poor schmuck gets a face full of alien face hugger? Remember what happens next?

Spoiler: Kinda gory (click to show/hide)

Yep that's what I'm thinking about. I was thinking that there should be a variety of methods for transmittable parasites.

First off there needs to be a way in which they are transmitted. The first is obviously some sorta liquid type, maybe through a stinger or mouth hugging kind, if we want to get more fancy, it could be through some spore release.

The second would be once if gets into the host, where will it stay? I'm thinking some sorta tag associated with organ functions such as...
[PARASITE] The name
[INCUBATES: DIGESTION] Where it stays in organ function areas

After that is the incubation period, that should be fairly easy to do. NEXT! Is how it leaves...
[RELEASE]
[BURSTS] Leaves causing much damage to its host
[SECRETES] Leaves through other methods...
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Parasites, BIG EFFING PARASITES
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:00:42 pm »

You know... most parasites don't leave your body...

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:07:07 pm »

I know that some kinds of flies lay their eggs inside other creatures, for them to hatch and eat the creature from the inside. It's not odd or new, we just aren't used to it happening on anything near our own scale.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:30:19 pm »

You know... most parasites don't leave your body...

So, this is DF! We'll just have to make up a new name for them! (or use google to look for the exact name)

I know that some kinds of flies lay their eggs inside other creatures, for them to hatch and eat the creature from the inside. It's not odd or new, we just aren't used to it happening on anything near our own scale.

On our scale? Do you remember which forum you're on?

Wait a minute... what is our scale?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:44:03 pm »

So, this is DF! We'll just have to make up a new name for them! (or use google to look for the exact name)

Exactly this is Dwarf Fortress so lets try to get this thing right. The fact that the suggestion only included the "Burst from thyself" paracite is rather limited.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:25:23 pm »

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, neonivek....

As far as I know, every parasite leaves its host at some point.  After all, hosts die, and new hosts are waiting to be parasitized....  The only possible exception would be a parasite that was transmitted from mother to unborn child, and I'm unaware of any parasites that do so.

It's true that most parasites are microscopically small, though, and that this proposal doesn't include them.  That's fine.  Most living things are microscopically small, and yet nobody argues that if DF is going to include elephants, it has to have a way to deal with e. coli.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:28:35 pm »

A lot of Paracites live in their host and then lay eggs meant to be transmitted to new hosts.

This includes most if not all of the Worm family.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »

The egg is part of the life-cycle of the parasite.  It's still a parasite while its an egg.  But I don't want to get too pedantic :)

Many parasites have multiple parts of their life cycle.  Malaria's a pretty important example.  Organisms that cause malaria have multiple distinct forms throughout their life-cycle.  It changes upon initial transmission from mosquito host to human host, and it changes during migration through the tissues of the human host.  I think it has multiple stages inside the mosquito, too.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:09:53 pm »

Parasites don't kill, parasitoids do.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 05:35:22 pm »

Exactly this is Dwarf Fortress so lets try to get this thing right. The fact that the suggestion only included the "Burst from thyself" paracite is rather limited.

O.K., the whole leech off the host is still there. The problem is, it's traditional and just boring to me. There are other types of parasites that alter the behavior of hosts and even types that can be symbiotic with their host!

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, neonivek....

As far as I know, every parasite leaves its host at some point.  After all, hosts die, and new hosts are waiting to be parasitized....  The only possible exception would be a parasite that was transmitted from mother to unborn child, and I'm unaware of any parasites that do so.

It's true that most parasites are microscopically small, though, and that this proposal doesn't include them.  That's fine.  Most living things are microscopically small, and yet nobody argues that if DF is going to include elephants, it has to have a way to deal with e. coli.

For now, transmittable parasites will be the first real DF diseases of the game! I call it, starting before the smallest you can get!

A lot of Paracites live in their host and then lay eggs meant to be transmitted to new hosts.

This includes most if not all of the Worm family.

Got anymore real life examples?

The egg is part of the life-cycle of the parasite.  It's still a parasite while its an egg.  But I don't want to get too pedantic :)

Many parasites have multiple parts of their life cycle.  Malaria's a pretty important example.  Organisms that cause malaria have multiple distinct forms throughout their life-cycle.  It changes upon initial transmission from mosquito host to human host, and it changes during migration through the tissues of the human host.  I think it has multiple stages inside the mosquito, too.

So than if that's true, then we can have creatures that have multiple stages in their life, wait; if I remember correctly, babies are handled as different castes in DF!

Parasites don't kill, parasitoids do.

Confirmed people.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:49:50 pm »

O.K., the whole leech off the host is still there. The problem is, it's traditional and just boring to me. There are other types of parasites that alter the behavior of hosts and even types that can be symbiotic with their host!

Actually, part of the definition of a parasite is that it is not symbiotic.  Still, that distinction was invented a long time ago, and doesn't always make a lot of sense.  Is the staph aureus living on our skin a symbiote or a parasite?  Well, it helps to prevent colonization by more pathogenic organisms.  At the same time, it can be pathogenic itself.

So than if that's true, then we can have creatures that have multiple stages in their life, wait; if I remember correctly, babies are handled as different castes in DF!

That ought to be in the game anyways.  There's a lot of room for interesting fantasy with life cycles.

Still, believe me, you don't want to simulate malaria by keeping track of individual organisms.  That's way too complicated.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:33 pm »

Actually, part of the definition of a parasite is that it is not symbiotic.  Still, that distinction was invented a long time ago, and doesn't always make a lot of sense.  Is the staph aureus living on our skin a symbiote or a parasite?  Well, it helps to prevent colonization by more pathogenic organisms.  At the same time, it can be pathogenic itself.

That ought to be in the game anyways.  There's a lot of room for interesting fantasy with life cycles.

Still, believe me, you don't want to simulate malaria by keeping track of individual organisms.  That's way too complicated.

Viruses and bacteria can wait. Parasites that can burrow through your dwarf's stomachs I'd like to see in some time in the next two or more big updates.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 08:54:36 pm »

Virusen and Bacterias are covered under the poisonframework since they work in a similiar way. Most Bacteria even produce some kind of poison that makes them that dangerous.

Also: Intelligent parasites = Goa'uld?

Parasites dont have to be animals at all. Many lichens and fungy can be parasites as well. There is a Fungy that feeds on and controls ants. This picture shows a infected Ant.

Since this is df we can go even to a rediculus variant - living Crystals that feed of the your flesh and form a stationary orgasm on your corpse. Being explosive in nature they propagate themselvs by launching theyr own shards into anything living that passes by.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:09:07 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 09:07:37 pm »

Got anymore real life examples?
Google "bot fly". Now, since DF has giant versions of a lot of vermin type things, imagine a Giant Bot Fly. Pretty much your chestburster right there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 09:34:48 pm »

"O.K., the whole leech off the host is still there. The problem is, it's traditional and just boring to me. There are other types of parasites that alter the behavior of hosts and even types that can be symbiotic with their host!

Not saying don't do it. I am saying a Parasite system should include all types of parasites rather then the only ones you included.

Also yes the virus/poison system could also work excellently for some paracites.
Pages: [1] 2 3