Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First full-on tantrum spiral  (Read 1154 times)

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First full-on tantrum spiral
« on: July 13, 2010, 09:51:46 pm »

For the first time I had a full on tantrum spiral.
89 dwarves spiraled down to 32 in a half hour and there are still a few too beat up to make it through.

I ran out of booze. i'm in a freezing zone and the cook was baking all the fruits before the brewer could get to them.  when it started i had 5-7 dwarves dieing of thirst at a time.

What do you guys usually do to contain it?
I didn't do anything. i just set up a graveyard (several because there were so many dead) and started cranking out coffins. i now need more coffins then beds.  I let everyone run amok and beat the dwarf crap out of everyone else. I watched the mayor tantrum and brake his own desk, get a happy thought to have a wood cutter come in right after, complain, and set him berserk. the wood cutter lopped off his arm and somehow the one armed crazy mayor from insanesville strangled the woodcutter to death. then he ran off after someone else who ran in his office. awesome

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: First full-on tantrum spiral
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:06 pm »

all i can say is: quarantine
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:36:20 pm »

Quarantine? Don't listen to the softy. PURGE! Anarchy is a time for excess and pandemonium, not reestablishment of the status quo! Let loose all your nightmarish contraptions, your monstrous animals of war! Until only the last dwarf remains!

Then let him brew booze and lead a happy life all alone until the migrants come.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:40:51 pm »

Quarantine? Don't listen to the softy. PURGE! Anarchy is a time for excess and pandemonium, not reestablishment of the status quo! Let loose all your nightmarish contraptions, your monstrous animals of war! the magma! Until only the last dwarf remains!

Then let him brew booze and lead a happy life all alone craft unstable death traps that could activate at any moment, connected to countless, unmarked levers and pressure plates until the migrants come.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

No booze?  :'(
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:47:35 pm »

[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:50 pm »

But the elves stole all that too.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:50:14 am »

Coffins are a waste of wood. A simple refuse stockpile does the trick too.

Just solve the supply problem and let them fight it out. Execute the cripples afterwards, they are useless. The rest may continue working. Migrants will repopulate the fortress sooner or later.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:53 am »

I had my first tantrum spiral yesterday too. Started when I had about 98 dwarves, then a migrant wave brought it up to a short peak of 105 before the fortress entered a six-month-long riot, exacerbated by a kobold ambush, leaving only 45 dwarves and a lot of dead animals.

I knew something was up when I had 3 8x8 stockpile rooms full of food, booze, and prepared meals, respectively, but crowds of dwarves were refusing to eat. I'm still not completely sure what the ultimate ignitor was but it didn't help that I had placed more than enough stone coffins placed but forgot to [q] them to allow burial.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:59 am »

They were stone coffins.
 I had a fort with nothing but plump helmets to eat.  after eating nothing but plump helmets and drinking only dwarf wine for a few years they stopped eating and drinking all together, determined to go on a hunger strike untill new food came in i guess.  Lucky I cought it and murdered butchered all the kittens and puppies and traded for some rum and beer.

I've begun locking in the wounded sleeping in thier beds to try and stop the flood of urist mceveryone flooding can't give water announcements.  I'm not sure if it's working.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:17:27 am »

I had a fort with nothing but plump helmets to eat.  after eating nothing but plump helmets and drinking only dwarf wine for a few years they stopped eating and drinking all together, determined to go on a hunger strike untill new food came in i guess.

Yeah, i guess that's what happened to me. I refused to believe it because I kept checking their thought profiles and it didn't say they were tired of the lack of variety in food.

Usually it was enough to buy out the traders' stock of food, but after several years in a row of (1) Accidentally making my site wagon-inaccessible by keeping drawbridges closed 24/7, and (2) Forgetting to trade with the damn traders when they finally showed up, I ran out of outside food and everyone was stuck with minced plump helmet loafs and plump helmet wine at every meal.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 02:08:20 pm »

Lucky I cought it and murdered butchered all the kittens and puppies and traded for some rum and beer.
Lucky I cought it and butchered murdered all the kittens and puppies and traded for some rum and beer.
Fixed it for you.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.