Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Multiple Dimensions  (Read 2880 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Dimensions
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »

So, this one's never going to get done, but..

Impliment a system of multiple dimensions/planes, probably just the four elemental ones. They'd be accessed by magical portals, which would be either pre-existing or created from magic (once such exists).

Wouldn't be too hard to program... you just generate five worlds instead of one, and the extra four don't need to be balanced. Each one functions as a mini-HFS, posing both dangers and potential rewards. The game already has three dimensions, not a lot of difficulty to add a fourth...

Elemental plane of air would have no ground (or floating islands); dwarves could use it to try to capture ultra-exotic flying species, or as a garbage dump.

Water would be either a map of pure water, or just a really friggin' wet map. Dwarves could get some rare plant species there, as well as fish, but they'd have to contend with the MegaCarp.

Fire would be obvious- bonus source of magma (and magma men)... might be fun to give it some extra stuff. Maybe a stone with natural properties similiar to a thermonuclear reaction?

And, of course the plane of earth- the Home Plane of the dwarves, from which they were exiled due to degenerate acts. High concentration of ores and gems, but also super-caverns filled with extra-fun creatures.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:26:06 pm »

You wouldn't even have to generate X overlapping worlds, you'd just randomize the extra X overlapping embark areas. Or heck, randomize them exactly when you go and build a way to get to them.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:28:48 pm »

It's not even hard. The only thing you need is to generate pocket worlds with the appropriate settings as needed. You'd have what essentially are thorough mods of the raws in a directory: those will define which elemental/Essential plains are available for the program to work with. Even a randomized one would be possible with some trial and much error to find out which numerical values can be randomized in what way.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »

this was actually in the old plans not sure where youd find it now

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:09:41 pm »

I don't like the planes idea as you are imaging.
During the world gen, it should generate multiple worlds in only one save file, that are connected to one, two, three, or all of the other ones, each world having its own characters, history, technology, access to magic, creatures and methods to reach.During the first time you start the world you should be able to select which of the planes to start playing, and then, you would discover the methods of reaching the other planes, for example, opening portals, or transport magic, or even some already opened portals scattered around the world.Everything should be accessible trough both modes.
Also I think that a good idea is also to have one(or more) heaven and one(or more) hell plane too, and based on the deeds of a character he should go to one of them after the death.
In adventure mode you would continue playing before die???what about it???

keratacon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »

I’d be interested to see an actual fourth spatial dimension added.  This game is already one of the most complicated out there, imagine how great it could be if we had to content with a W axis!

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:50 pm »

Or even a fifth one and be able to travel trough time!!!
Just kidding XD

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 07:28:35 pm »

Ive did copy them to the wiki here and some nice people helped to make it readable. The page is thought still very long and would need some additional anchors etc.

Apart from the elements stuff spirit-worlds, different underworlds and heavens as well as artificial micro-worlds come also to my mind as in (atleast 1 of) Threetoes storys. 

edit: some spelling and missing words
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:25:20 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:40 pm »

As well artificial micro-worlds Storys.

Personal paradises!!!(Only for great(I mean EPIC!!!)  magicians)

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 03:02:06 am »

You guys realize that pathfinding would grind a multi-dimensional fortress to a halt in no time, right?

On a more positive note, pumping magma through a 4-th dimension rift sounds awesomely dwarfy to me :)
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 03:09:34 am »

Even more dwarfy:

Open to the rift at magma sea, pump magma into 4th dimension.

Open another rift wher eyou want your furnaces / fiery world-killing machine, and pump magma out of 4th dimension. 

Turning an elemental plane into nothing more than an elaborate pump stack for magma.  Now  *that's* dwarfy  ;D

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 04:47:24 am »

I want to see dimensions, in the sense of weird places, implemented as dimensions, in the sense of xyz; planes, in the sense of magical destinations, implemented as planes, in the sense of spaces parallel to the plane the game exists on.

The big work with this was done with the transition to 3d.  4d, 5d, 6d isn't such a jump from that, and the ways we've trained ourselves to deal with this particular 2d representation of a 3d world could make this game uniquely suited to this idea.  We already hit < or > to view a different plane.  Why not hit . or , to view a different extra- dimensional plane?  We already have portals that allow us to move between the z-levels.  What's different about portals that allow us to move between the a-levels?

But, of course, it'd be a real performance hit.  Extra dimensions lead to exponentially increasing world-sizes.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 12:48:53 pm »

I really liked Master of Magic's Arcanus/Myrror. Magic could transport you but you needed to make certain there was land in the corresponding location in the other plane. Towers functioned as portals and were present in both planes at once. Very cool.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:30:20 pm »

You guys realize that pathfinding would grind a multi-dimensional fortress to a halt in no time, right?
On a more positive note,   pumping magma through a 4-th dimension rift sounds awesomely dwarfy to   me :)

It does not. The pathing changes a bit but thats it. The Pathing would just calculate over 2 Grids instead of 1 as soon it encounters a open Gate. Thus it could - with a number of portals - even speed up. Said that you can even ignore the other dimensions if there is only one gate leading to them. 

Also by "dimensions" are - in this thread - Parallel worlds ment as in "Hugh everets theory of multiple worlds" or "Alternative reality's in a Multi-verse" not Objects/places with more then 3 room-dimensions (like a Hypercube).  Just saying to clarify any misunderstandings.

(i know its a little bit more complicated then that. But for fucks sake not everyone here has a degree on computer-science/physics or similar stuff. )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:48:01 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »

It would be awesome if I could create a portal to another region(save game). Kinda like an alternate universe, with my two saves are working together.
Pages: [1] 2 3