Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Impressive gen (31.10)  (Read 2068 times)

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impressive gen (31.10)
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:09:04 am »

Okay, so I've just fired up 31.10, started genning a world... almost the first thing I see on the map screen? an entire mountain range with the "terrifying" biome. Considering how I like to roleplay, that's just epic. [EDIT: Oh, wow, it's called "The Cremated Wall" too! MUAHAHAAA!]

Of course, one of my first forts will now be in said mountain range, just to see how much carnage takes place. XD

And yes, I am easily pleased. Oh, and I shall be checking out marksdwarves too... :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:12:38 am by darkwolf »

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Impressive gen (31.10)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:40:26 am »

You do know that you can make minimal evil at 65 and savagery at 65 and you will still have some civ's and a lot of evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »

Hehe, I'm happy with having one uber source of evil for the entire world. But I shall no doubt try that at some point! XD

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:08:27 am »

I've seen that before, the huge biomes usually get assigned to Oceans, but Moutain Ranges and huge forests happen occasionally.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:19:49 am »

yeah, the massive oceans and continent wide aquifers are gettin kinda old though
Demon of Darkness

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »

Ah, now that problem I've had before. It seems that if you make the worldgen do a region instead of the default (Island), then you'll end up with less aquifers. Last I checked, anyways. Might be different in 31.10.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:11:42 pm »

Argh. I've endlessly been trying to find a brook surrounded by cliffs (6+), but all I've been finding is, at maximum, a 3 or more commonly a 2.

Which is weird, because usually on the older versions, I could find * ones next to flowing water!
*Rubs chin* Perhaps there's a difference of the nearby cliffs when comparing brooks and rivers/streams.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 02:21:17 pm »

Brooks are generally small, search brook up in google images, it's not going to erode away any cliffs :P

A (major) river or a stream might.  I'm not too sure about streams though.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:38:12 am by freeformschooler »

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 03:58:43 pm »

Ho, ho. My computer is already at it's knees. In fact, the executioner is standing ready next to it with an axe. I usually create a Medium Region.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 04:43:27 pm »

Hey, MiniMacker, I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but your post actually inspired me to post the details of [what I think is] a pretty awesome worldgen/embark site.  Well, the worldgen is pretty unremarkable in itself, but the site is great.  I posted about it here -- check it out if you like.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61414.0

(If you are interested, given your comments about your computer's executability, I'd be happy to put a pre-genned copy of the world up for download.)
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:40:36 am »

Hey, MiniMacker, I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but your post actually inspired me to post the details of [what I think is] a pretty awesome worldgen/embark site.  Well, the worldgen is pretty unremarkable in itself, but the site is great.  I posted about it here -- check it out if you like.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61414.0

(If you are interested, given your comments about your computer's executability, I'd be happy to put a pre-genned copy of the world up for download.)

The first time I came around Dwarf Fortress I thought everyone was going to beat me with clubs. But hey, I could give it a try on generating it myself. I'm sure it will work, it will just, er, work slowly.

Edit :
It's generating very, very slowly. I'm at year ~980 so far. It's been nearly 30 minutes, hurr hurr hurr. P.S, Chicken, check your inbox.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:15:59 am by MiniMacker »

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:52 am »

Argh. I've endlessly been trying to find a brook surrounded by cliffs (6+), but all I've been finding is, at maximum, a 3 or more commonly a 2.

I had this place in 31.08. It has 20 z-level cliff next to a brook. Those two ramps are the only access to the brook.

Aquifer to the north.
Forest to the east.
Volcano to the south.
Sand to the west.

In 31.10, I generated this.

I don't really understand what is going on here. It started off with snow on the ground (it does thaw though), the green patch is dark underground soil.
Here is the full z-level:

Freshwater lake to the north.
Cliff to the south.
Brook 10 z-levels up.
The parallel walls are the edge of the brook.

I need a Mac based 3D visualizer, I really want to see what is going on here.

Images are hosted by ImageShack.us; clicking on the thumbnails should result in larger images.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »

Whoa, that one is weird.  Yeah, the game doesn't always seem to handle embarking on top of a brook very well.  (Or placing a cave on one, for that matter -- it scuttled a generated cave that was on top of a brok, scattering EVERYTHING inside it all over the place on the surface.  I like to imagine some seriously confused ettins wandering about.  Where cave go?)

On the one I posted about, yeah, that puppy generates really slowly (especially if you do it with 80 civs and Dwarf Chocolate!)  I put up a pregenerated version that uses the Ironhand graphics, so, if yar enterested, 'ere it is!  Link
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:03:32 pm by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 04:12:57 pm »

Whoa, that one is weird.  Yeah, the game doesn't always seem to handle embarking on top of a brook very well.  (Or placing a cave on one, for that matter -- it scuttled a generated cave that was on top of a brok, scattering EVERYTHING inside it all over the place on the surface.  I like to imagine some seriously confused ettins wandering about.  Where cave go?)

On the one I posted about, yeah, that puppy generates really slowly (especially if you do it with 80 civs and Dwarf Chocolate!)  I put up a pregenerated version that uses the Ironhand graphics, so, if yar enterested, 'ere it is!  Link

Hey, thanks. I'll give it a try!