Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RPGs with Appearance Changing?  (Read 2849 times)

Pathos

RPGs with Appearance Changing?
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:55:03 am »

Changed the main post:

Please tell me any RPGs you guys know of that have appearance changing based on equipment. The better / more high quality the game, the better it gets obviously. SNES-style graphics are always a plus.

Thanks in advance, ladies and gents.

Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:21:32 pm by Pathos »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: Best DS (That Nintendo Handheld) RPGs?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:11:34 am »

FF 3, I found it better than 4 to be honest. Pokemon Soulsilver and Mystery dungeon is amazing.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:36:09 am »

Chrono Trigger is a good RPG.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:44:15 am »

POWDER!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:22 am »

I'd say definatly check out The World Ends With You, but if you're completely against using the touch screen then you won't like it. Though it isn't really gimmicky in my opinion.

Pathos

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:20:19 am »

FF 3, I found it better than 4 to be honest. Pokemon Soulsilver and Mystery dungeon is amazing.

Basic ports or with added features?

POWDER!

Powder?

I'd say definatly check out The World Ends With You, but if you're completely against using the touch screen then you won't like it. Though it isn't really gimmicky in my opinion.

It depends if it's integrated into the controls or not, really. If it's like, "SHOUT AT MIC QUICKLY" or something like that once per game, I hate it. WarioWare was a good example of a good example.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:30:30 am »

Not a DS-game but playable on the DS (it's a GBA game).

Riviera: The Prosmised Land.

The way you travel around and interact with your surroundings reminds of an adventure, with beautiful and detailed backgrounds.
The sound is well done and fitting.
The game features an interesting story, mixed with norse mythology and christian elements.
Combat is turn based and looks great.

Sadly, I could only find a japanese trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYqEE1fy1SY

Also an example of its great soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kUIs8al0TM

God I wish they would bring it out for the virtual console, so I could play it on the Wii...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:41:36 am by Mindmaker »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:32:09 am »

Pokemon I suppose really isnt for you, the only thing that you can change with the equipment in FF4 (yes im an aesthetics whore aswell) are the weapons, some look great. In FF 3 you can choose jobs which change the the appearance of the character, I liked that alot. They are pretty much updated versions of the old ones, new 3d graphics and new features. FF 4 has some replay value, bit I liked 3 more.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 09:18:33 am »

Etrian Odyssey and it's sequel might be what you're looking for or it might be the opposite. It plays a little like  Wizardry, so a first person tile based, and turn based combat RPG.

Dark Spire similar to Etrian Odyssey again. I'm not very far into this one but this guy, seems to love it.

Orcs & Elves is a bit like a stripped down first person rougelike, I enjoyed it but you do use the touch screen for menus.

Contact, I can't find a decent trailer for this one but I really enjoyed it. It's mostly real time but attacks need to cool down after use, there are a variety of costumes that change your powers and a variety of weapons. I enjoyed this most for the little details.

I don't know about you but I know I like some comic mischief and cartoon violence and so I really enjoyed Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and really should play Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story. They might sound like an odd idea they work really well. Turn based combat but you need to hit combos and have reasonable reaction times to get critical hits and dodge attacks so they keep you on your toes.

Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon a tactical turn based RPG. Remake of the original. Sorry about the voice over on the trailer.

There are also all the Castlevania games if you consider those RPGs, lot's of weapons changes, many foes to defeat.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 09:46:41 am »

Glory of Heracles is an interesting one, but I stopped playing it because they were butchering Mythology.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 10:39:29 am »

Basic ports or with added features?

Final Fantasy 3 for the DS is a complete graphical overhaul. Everything's 3D. There are a few changes but core mechanics are pretty much the same. It's definitively worth it. Probably only 20 bucks. I'm pretty sure the Chrono Trigger DS port adds some features, but I don't own it myself.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:11 am »

It depends if it's integrated into the controls or not, really. If it's like, "SHOUT AT MIC QUICKLY" or something like that once per game, I hate it. WarioWare was a good example of a good example.
It's not like that at all... but it is very hard to get used to. You control two characters at once, one on the top screen and one on the bottom. It's as confusing as it sounds. Luckily the one on top has an AI control setting, allowing you to focus on your awesome psychic powers.(flinging cars around, tapping things to light them on fire, slash across them to slice them to ribbons, etc.)

Chrono trigger on the DS adds some bonus dungeons and another ending that links it to Chrono Cross better. Some other suggestions: Mario and Luigi, Final Fantasy Tactics, Castlevania.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:12 am »

I ask this too, but my request might be too daunting, preferably non turn based combat (this really isnt a neccisety) and isnt a Jrpg (this is).
Pages: [1] 2