Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie: Miners die of thirst  (Read 1714 times)

crazyduck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newbie: Miners die of thirst
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:31:04 am »

So I just started out yesterday and I can't find any answer to my question. My miners are in level 140 and won't go up to 142 to get food. I can get other dwarfs to go to level 141 to store food by designating a specific area but none would go to level 140 to bring the food there. All my other dwarfs are idle and both miners are hunting for vermin now.

So what can I do to rescue them? All I need to do is to get them to go one level up to get their food or to bring it down to them. Can I give a dwarf a specific command where he should go? thanks

[Edit] One died. How do I tell another dwarf to go to pick up his mining pick? I enabled the mining skill on all the other dwarfs and none cares.
And how do I make a mining pick myself?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:45:43 am by crazyduck »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie: Miners die of thirst
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:59:30 am »

It sounds like you don't have a path to the miners.  Have the remaining miner dig a new staircase up to your fort.

If your dwarfs can path to it, they should pick up the pick if you just enable mining on them.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:00:17 am »

Are you using channel/ramps to move up and down? Don't, they are too difficult to bother. Use up and down stairs; for ease of use, start WITH up/down stairs.

Use http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Stairs for the diagram; It still applies to the current version.
Be sure to check http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Stairs for the most up to date info.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

crazyduck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:32:32 am »

thanks I am using up/down stairs. maybe i am doing something wrong?

level 140 - where the miners are stuck

level 141

Do miners take care of themselves normally?  In my previous test game they also died of hunger.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 04:39:41 am »

As I was saying, ramps behave oddly. Use stairs.

On level 140, carve an up-stair two south from the ramps; then, right above it, designate a down-stair.

That should be enough.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:41:41 am »

On level 141 put down(or up/down) stairs directly above where the up/down stairs are on level 142.
That should solve it i think.
Join the new Hermit Succession

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:50:56 am »

Your ramps are broken.

Ramps are tricky. Until you get the hang of them you're better off with stairs.

crazyduck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:10 am »

As I was saying, ramps behave oddly. Use stairs.

On level 140, carve an up-stair two south from the ramps; then, right above it, designate a down-stair.

That should be enough.

That's strange.  I thought that they I asked them to build stairways. (upward stairway - key U and downward stairway - key J). I'll try to build up/down stairways from now on. The information shows them as "slopes" and I was puzzled why the icon doesn't look like a stairway.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:56:48 am »

Remove the one tile on Level 141 just over the ramp and the miners should be able to get out.
Ramps are a bit tricky, you need a line of free tiles for your dwarves to use them.
For example: Miners enter ramp on Level 140 from the left, are "beamed" on the right tile of the ramp in level 141 and would crash into the wall --> access won't work.
Alternately, miners enter the ramp on level 140 from the bottom tile, are "beamed" onto the tile just above the ramp in level 141 and would end up in the wall there, too.
So, just remove one of these tiles on level 141 (either the ones on the right or above the ramp) and it should work.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 07:52:58 am »

If you want the ramps to work dig the square on the right (lvl 140) of the ramps and build a wall on their left this way your ramps will be working.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 08:46:20 am »

Or you could just give ramps the finger and use the superior stair. Ramps are for uncivilized humans!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 09:10:13 am »

No ramps are faster and put sligtly less strain on your fps. And if you know how to use them they are suppior.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 09:14:45 am »

But they're natural! And the only natural thing that is awesome is magma.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.