Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Control what items get encrusted?  (Read 13721 times)

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Control what items get encrusted?
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:07:35 am »

How do i get my jeweler to encrust specific items?
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Control what items get encrusted?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:19:16 am »

Try to forbidden every item close to him except the one that you want to be encrusted. Or locking the room with a lever with just the dwarfs, the workshop and the item.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:35:09 pm »

I like building isolated workshops.  Make them big, make stockpiles for food, drink, bones, metal, and gems.  Place a bed for each dwarf that'll be involved in the process, and then make a one sized stockpile that only accepts the type of object you want.  So if it's a masterwork statue, make a masterwork statue stockpile and then lock them in the room. 

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:24:52 pm »

I just build a jeweler shop in a special room a bit apart from the rest, mainly to not have the jeweler pick in a stockpile in a lower level of the fort since my forts are vertical by design.
I put a small stockpile of the stuff i want to encrust like best quality table/chair for my dining room (you can set the stockpile by type of furniture and quality) next to the jeweler shop. The jeweler will always pick the furniture the nearest to him, so the ones in the stockpile near the shop. You can also make it so only your best gem setter work in this workshop so you are sure you'll get best quality end product.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 02:52:17 am »

edit: nvm, i'm stupid.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:01:38 am by RCIX »
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:42:30 am »

It would be nice if you could just mark a particular item for encrusting, as you do with melting metals and slaughtering animals.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:59:58 am »

It would be nice if you could just mark a particular item for encrusting, as you do with melting metals and slaughtering animals.
This will probably come with the ability to choose materials to manufacture items out of.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:05:46 am »

The jeweler will always pick the furniture the nearest to him, so the ones in the stockpile near the shop.

This does not at *all* seem to be true in my current experience.

I suspect it *could* work like engraving, mining and other such jobs -- going by X coordinate from west to east, regardless of Z-level (or however precisely it works -- still not totally clear on it, except that it produces some absurdly inefficient results).  Because in my situation, I have several Z-levels of storerooms above and below my jeweler's shop, and there are some stockpiles of choice things I put 10 or so tiles away on the same Z-level that he has ignored with the most steadfast and consistent faith. Instead, to my chagrin, he goes up 3, 4 or 5 Z-levels and 40-50 steps to get different pieces of furniture, every time.  Little bastard.

Yeah, designating items for decoration similar to how melt designation is done would be a very, very good thing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:08:28 am by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:40:11 am »

This does not at *all* seem to be true in my current experience.

I suspect it *could* work like engraving, mining and other such jobs -- going by X coordinate from west to east, regardless of Z-level (or however precisely it works -- still not totally clear on it, except that it produces some absurdly inefficient results).  Because in my situation, I have several Z-levels of storerooms above and below my jeweler's shop, and there are some stockpiles of choice things I put 10 or so tiles away on the same Z-level that he has ignored with the most steadfast and consistent faith. Instead, to my chagrin, he goes up 3, 4 or 5 Z-levels and 40-50 steps to get different pieces of furniture, every time.  Little bastard.

Yeah, designating items for decoration similar to how melt designation is done would be a very, very good thing.

That is because he will always choose the item closest item in absolute terms disregarding floors and pathing.

Go ahead and try it with a stonecrafter. Same thing. He will pick stones in a cubic space closets to him rather than show a preference for the same z level.

In the dwarf's mind. something right below him at -3 z levels is closer than something on the same floor at 10 tiles away. In absolute numbers it makes sense if you factor out the walking distance.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:06:53 pm »

In the dwarf's "mind", something right below him at -3 z levels is closer than something on the same floor at 10 tiles away. In absolute numbers it makes sense if you factor out the walking distance.
[scare quotes added]

Only if you also allow dwarves to be omniscient regarding item location AND completely solid-bone-headed stupid regarding pathfinding.

Quote from: Urist O'Sculptor McSeesAll
Hmm, I see 573 chalk 10 steps to the east. But WITH THE POWER OF MY MIND I am aware of some bauxite 5 floors below me and 4 steps southwest. Bauxite it is! OK, how do I get there? I see, I need to walk 180 steps to get out of the fortress, 50 steps to the auxiliary entrance, and then another 30 stairs straight down. Oh look, a cave spider. Wow, it's big.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:18:52 pm »

That's it.  Off with my jeweler's head!
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:32:13 pm »

Make a burrow that includes your gem stockpile, the workshops, and your masterwork platinum statue stockpile. And food/drink and bedrooms. Assign jewelcrafter. Profit!
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:01 pm »

Actually, I did that, but he seems to be happy to run outside-of-burrow to grab improvable items.  I suppose it ends up requiring forbidden-doors isolation to get him to stop that.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:14:53 pm by ChickenLips »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:30:07 pm »

Also, note that you can encrust an item one time per type of gem you have. I've seen numerous people make that mistake.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »

And they just love to go wild on some irrelevant piece of furniture, leaving you with a 22k grate -- no, a 22k $<<-gypsum grate->>$.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:58:27 pm by ChickenLips »

Pages: [1] 2