Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ahh, the sweet, calming sound of a gentle brook  (Read 1270 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Ahh, the sweet, calming sound of a gentle brook
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:40 pm »

So, it took my diligent worker ants nearly four years, but finally, we've succeeded in turning the map into an artificial lake. Well... STARTED the long road to success, anyhow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've built us up a nice, waterproof (fingers crossed) new fortress, to boot!

Cellar:
First floor (farming):
Second Floor:
and then they continue up, so on and so forth, for about 10 z-levels, with drawbridges every couple levels. There's a third, hanging building t the south in the works. Now, if only that water would flow a little faster...

Also, the reason there's nothing in them is because I haven't moved my stuff from the old, underground site quite yet.

[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ahh, the sweet, calming sound of a gentle brook
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »

Wait, so the fortress extends above the lake?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:44:01 pm »

Yes. It's like an artificial island fort, sort of.

Tiny Adventure Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, I say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »

YOU'D BETTER KEEP US POSTED. This looks cool c:
That's me.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:48 pm »

YOU'D BETTER KEEP US POSTED. This looks cool c:

Uhh, okay, right now, umm, one guy went berserk and is killing dogs left and right, the water continues to flow.... slowly.... and I'm worried about our short-term food supplies, as well as a possible gap in the far retaining wall.

edit: Here's an overview of the water level right now:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:43:57 pm by existent »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:22:57 am »

Hm... seems awesome, but seems like flooding the world would cause huge fps issues, even with a low population. also won't it stop immigrants and merchants and so forth from coming to your fort (although i do see a trade depot on your second floor, looks like it goes underground somewhere, does it go out of the area to be flooded)?

does seem very dwarfy as well... dunno if it will flood the whole area, won't it just evaporate after going a while though when the water height at the edge of the flood is all ones?

do hope that it works out though, keep posting updates :)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:31:32 pm »

Hm... seems awesome, but seems like flooding the world would cause huge fps issues, even with a low population. also won't it stop immigrants and merchants and so forth from coming to your fort (although i do see a trade depot on your second floor, looks like it goes underground somewhere, does it go out of the area to be flooded)?

does seem very dwarfy as well... dunno if it will flood the whole area, won't it just evaporate after going a while though when the water height at the edge of the flood is all ones?

do hope that it works out though, keep posting updates :)

Yes, there's an underground passage to the "outside", which at some point I wanted to channel out and create a glass roof.

As for updates, well.... *ahem*.... I had to, of course, seal off my fortress from the flood water. However, I got so wrapped up in what I was doing, I forgot to make booze, and, well... they started dying of thirst. Then, since they were almost consistently idle when I wasn't building stuff, they tantrum spiraled.

I'm sure I'll go back and reclaim it, but for now, it seems my arrogance was my own downfall. Also, it was probably going to take 5 IRL hours to fill the area.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:40:58 pm »

As for updates, well.... *ahem*.... I had to, of course, seal off my fortress from the flood water. However, I got so wrapped up in what I was doing, I forgot to make booze, and, well... they started dying of thirst. Then, since they were almost consistently idle when I wasn't building stuff, they tantrum spiraled.
Couldn't you have built a well out on a balcony? It is fresh water you've flooded with, correct?
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »

Couldn't you have built a well out on a balcony? It is fresh water you've flooded with, correct?
The water was spreading so slowly, it hadn't reached the actual structures yet. It's not that it couldn't be saved,but I wasn't in that much of a mood to intervene.