Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fall of the Goblin Civilization  (Read 1247 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
The fall of the Goblin Civilization
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:30 pm »

After several years passed without any sieges, ambushes, or thievery, I checked their civilization status.

They got a law giver. They're fucked.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fall of the Goblin Civilization
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:11:30 pm »

What, like a titan took over and started slapping suckas around?  What does a lawgiver do to them?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »

What, like a titan took over and started slapping suckas around?  What does a lawgiver do to them?

law-giver is a human leader, not goblin
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:35:25 pm »

Gobs are infamous for being violent, but very simple-minded. VERY. SIMPLE. MINDED. So much so that they are unable to rebel or stage an uprising. They submit entirely and willingly to the guy who killed the most things they hate.

There is only one thing they hate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 06:53:10 pm »

law-giver is a human leader, not goblin

Law-giver is the title given to a ruler whose positios was not explicitly defined in the raws but created during gameplay, approximately equivalent to a king.  In other words, some gobbo or demon was popular enough, charming enough, visionary enough, or just brutal enough to say, "we now have a ruler: me.  If you have a problem with that, I'll gut you like a pig (or have my loyal followers do so)."  Humans and goblins can both create positions; by default, goblins have no ruling nobles, and the only human nobles are the town-ruling warlords.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:58:58 pm »

speaking of something like that..

once in adventurer mode i stumbled upon a very unique  goblin tower

at first it seemed as if the goblins in it still had rule, with a bunch of kidnapped kids and such, then i saw a human.. ok sure.. then i saw a dwarf, not a prisoner dwarf,

all 3 civlizations, gobling, human, and dwarf were living together in harmony

wierd..

another freaky occurence in a test fort a ran at an embark, the first year caravan/liason came, but the liason was a goblin..
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 07:08:18 pm »

Only one thing to do.

Adventure up and liberate the gobbos to run free once more.

I'm sure they'll be appropriately grateful.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:06:53 pm »

Get the gobbo's to repay you by fighting by your side. Then attack an elf town.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:01:55 pm »

Law-giver is the title given to a ruler whose positios was not explicitly defined in the raws but created during gameplay, approximately equivalent to a king.  In other words, some gobbo or demon was popular enough, charming enough, visionary enough, or just brutal enough to say, "we now have a ruler: me.  If you have a problem with that, I'll gut you like a pig (or have my loyal followers do so)."  Humans and goblins can both create positions; by default, goblins have no ruling nobles, and the only human nobles are the town-ruling warlords.

I've also seen the position Master; I think this was a demon who approached a goblin civ before they'd made themselves a law-giver or anything and said "yo, it's me"....

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:06:32 pm »

Gobs are infamous for being violent, but very simple-minded. VERY. SIMPLE. MINDED. So much so that they are unable to rebel or stage an uprising. They submit entirely and willingly to the guy who killed the most things they hate.

There is only one thing they hate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not these goblins. It's been established that dwarves, humans, and goblins hate elves much more than they hate each other.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:22 pm »

I once had a gremlin law-giver in adventure mode.

he got poisonous blood.

as soon as my legendery wrestler dwarf got covered with his blood,

he instantly ripped me in half.

yes. it was stupid of me to tear his ear apart.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:21:21 am »

all 3 civlizations, gobling, human, and dwarf were living together in harmony

wierd..

normally caused by goblins kidnapping other civs children and raising them as goblins. in older versions there was this awesomely delightful thing where goblins, being smaller and reproducing less then some other races like elves/humans, would end up dying out but leaving all their forts populated with the races they had been kidnapping, who would wear iron and think they were goblins. i can recall one of my more amazing challenges in 40d was iron wearing elite elven weaponmasters leading goblin sieges. all that elf speed combined with goblin forged iron plate was pretty badass. they actually scored kills on my adamantium clad chapions in my arena.

in the latest version ive encountered dark towers populated only by humans wearing goblin gear, and still kidnapping human children from the nearby towns, so i guess it still happens even with the goblin size increase.

you could also get goblins showing up to trade with you if you were somehow at peace with them, although having one as a liason sounds interesting if they were liasing for the humans or something. if you can check out the legends on that it would be really interesting.

also, the gremlin law giver sounds amazing. i didnt know they could even enter a civilization. find his story in legends and tell us about it. hopefully its as good as that elf who had his wife eaten by other elves, and rose to become the dwarven ruler through the terrible vengeance he wrought against his own pointy eared race.

ive yet to hear of a kobold leader of another race though. does that ever happen?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 08:13:04 am »

To answer your question, Chesire cat, they cannot.
They lack the [Intelligent] tag, so they are unable to rule.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 08:39:43 am »

Crap, the same thing just happened to me... didn't even get a siege  :'(
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf