Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Australia has a new government.  (Read 6910 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Australia has a new government.
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2010, 01:30:11 am »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2010, 07:14:42 am »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2010, 08:46:17 am »

THATS AS FUNNY AS A FROZEN BOOT THE THE HEAD!
AND A KNIFE IN THE BALLS!
A FROZEN KNIFE
AND A QUOTE PYRIMID TO THE FACE!

Ha! Your pyramid isn't as big as mine!

I'm sorry Josh, what was that?  ;)

Also, heh, I'm glad Labor won, but I actually am a bit suspicious of the result. Katter siding with the Libs means that Labor has zero slack; if even a single seat is lost, BAM!, election.

So, the question is, can the independents withdraw their support at any time? This is all idle speculation, and probably invalid, but hey, why not? I'm not to sure on the actual policy, but can an independant officially change his support once a government is in office? If they can, that means each of the two independents, plus the green, supporting labor individually has the power to destroy the government. That would add to their already considerable political heft, no? Further, Katter loses nothing out of the deal, relative to what the three had as the original bloc, and while he wouldn't gain quite as much vote power as the others, he gets to keep the moral high ground with his statements about supporting Rudd. Also, he's crazy, so why not?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2010, 10:17:04 am »

Interesting.

Anyway, I don't understand the crazy system Australia has. You can have another election if someone else is elected?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2010, 11:02:04 am »

Parliamentary systems usually allow for early elections, especially if the composition of the legislature changes. In many countries they can also be called for by the Prime Minister or by a majority vote in the legislature. In some cases, you might call for new elections if you think the political climate has shifted enough to see an electoral gain (although this can backfire if you're wrong or if the public sees it for the cynical powermongering dick move that it usually is).

And when you have a coalition government to reach that majority, the minor parties have serious kingmaker potential if it's a slim majority. You see this a LOT in places with highly fragmented legislatures like Italy and Israel.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]