Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571540 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1035 on: May 15, 2013, 06:10:10 am »

Would it be possible to put in an option to launch minimized? 

I know that the guys working on v16.x of the LNP gui want to include an option to launch stuff minimized, but presumably something like soundsense that has two windows would behave oddly - for a while I was using a batch file to start playing, and I could only ever get the first window resized.  I mean, while I love listening to the sounds (really - thanks), the window popping up and covering half my small screen every time I start the game is a little annoying. 

Can't be too hard, right?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1036 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:58 am »

Would it be possible to put in an option to launch minimized? 

I know that the guys working on v16.x of the LNP gui want to include an option to launch stuff minimized, but presumably something like soundsense that has two windows would behave oddly - for a while I was using a batch file to start playing, and I could only ever get the first window resized.  I mean, while I love listening to the sounds (really - thanks), the window popping up and covering half my small screen every time I start the game is a little annoying. 

Can't be too hard, right?

You can edit line

Code: [Select]
<gui value="true"/>
in configuration.xml to

<gui value="false"/>
to turn off seccond window, that should help a bit.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1037 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:42 am »

There is new release: r42: https://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/downloads/list

added ability to remember muted channels after restart
reset button for achievements
more minor touchups

Also, some minor new stuff in soundpack.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 19, 2013, 11:14:12 pm »

Nice!  soundSense is one of the utilities I would hate to play without - so of course it's in my extended LNP - but this is the first time I've manually updated it instead of getting a pack which included it already, and while I was testing the setup for my expanded LNP I thought of two potential improvements for newbies.  Sorry if this is a pain, but I tend to focus on the things that stop people getting into the game, which is basically either the learning cliff, or the amount of tweaking required to get everything beyond the game to work. 

First, to watch gamelog.txt soundsense expects to have been installed in a subdirectory - is it possible to add another check before asking for user input, from the default LNP install location in the utilities folder?  Everyone with the LNP and a long file path would love this, and I would guess more people use it installed there than in the main directory.  As it is, it triggers a window asking to navigate to gamelog.txt in DF directory, which happens every time you change a folder name / move the package / update something / etc - it just seems like an artifact from an earlier and less polished version.  This also looks scary to a newb, as it reopens that window if you try to close it with soundSense open. 

Second, is it possible to make the autoUpdate actually automatic?  While I'm cautious of starting a ~300MB download by surprise, you could pop up a dialogue box to prompt a download in two circumstances: 
1) packs folder is empty (or smaller than 50MB, etc), in which case prompt for a full download, or
2) more than [some amount of time] since last check - and then prompt and maybe an option to silently get updates below a certain size, or offer a popup above that size.  At present, you have to manually check if new sounds are available in order to get them, and this is not great for new or casual players. 

Are those two ideas doable, or way more trouble than they're worth?  And thanks for the utility - I definitely don't want to come across as critical, since I love it personally and only ask for the sake of newbies. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:18:00 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1039 on: May 20, 2013, 02:27:35 am »

Nice!  soundSense is one of the utilities I would hate to play without - so of course it's in my extended LNP - but this is the first time I've manually updated it instead of getting a pack which included it already, and while I was testing the setup for my expanded LNP I thought of two potential improvements for newbies.  Sorry if this is a pain, but I tend to focus on the things that stop people getting into the game, which is basically either the learning cliff, or the amount of tweaking required to get everything beyond the game to work. 

First, to watch gamelog.txt soundsense expects to have been installed in a subdirectory - is it possible to add another check before asking for user input, from the default LNP install location in the utilities folder?  Everyone with the LNP and a long file path would love this, and I would guess more people use it installed there than in the main directory.  As it is, it triggers a window asking to navigate to gamelog.txt in DF directory, which happens every time you change a folder name / move the package / update something / etc - it just seems like an artifact from an earlier and less polished version.  This also looks scary to a newb, as it reopens that window if you try to close it with soundSense open. 

Second, is it possible to make the autoUpdate actually automatic?  While I'm cautious of starting a ~300MB download by surprise, you could pop up a dialogue box to prompt a download in two circumstances: 
1) packs folder is empty (or smaller than 50MB, etc), in which case prompt for a full download, or
2) more than [some amount of time] since last check - and then prompt and maybe an option to silently get updates below a certain size, or offer a popup above that size.  At present, you have to manually check if new sounds are available in order to get them, and this is not great for new or casual players. 

Are those two ideas doable, or way more trouble than they're worth?  And thanks for the utility - I definitely don't want to come across as critical, since I love it personally and only ask for the sake of newbies.

If you are including it on LNP, you can pre-edit path to gamelox.txt in config yourself - just use relative path. I think that vanilla LNP does it. Unless user does the renaming, it shuld work regardless of how whole bundle is relocated.

If that is not going to work out, i could try to check parent directories.

For now, ill look onto not being able to cancel this dialog.

Autoupdate is weird beast - i am very warry of making downloads people might not know about or not desire (i.e. intentionally using older pack or their own custom pack modification.), so update is inbuilt rather than automatic. I can, however do something about it. Periodic check and proceed/cancel dialog could work very well.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 20, 2013, 02:55:37 am »

to watch gamelog.txt soundsense expects to have been installed in a subdirectory

If you are including it on LNP, you can pre-edit path to gamelox.txt in config yourself - just use relative path. I think that vanilla LNP does it. Unless user does the renaming, it should work regardless of how whole bundle is relocated.

I googled relative paths, and after some experimentation changed
<gamelog encoding="Cp850" path="../gamelog.txt"/>to
<gamelog path="..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11/gamelog.txt" />
Maybe, given that the LNP gets used by newbs, this should be the default - or even better enable checks to multiple locations. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:27:19 pm by PeridexisErrant »
 Donations here.

Skin36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 26, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »

hi zwei !

http://shot.qip.ru/00b0A8-4VVx8eugQ/

this files is not download. PLS fix it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:13:54 pm by Skin36 »

Norbi1156

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 27, 2013, 02:31:05 pm »

Hello!
I have to say that you are doing fantastic job, but I have a little problem. New computer always causes new problems, but now I don`t know what to do - Soundsense don`t want to work. Yes, program is tracking gamelog.txt, but there aren`t any sounds in game. Could you help me?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 27, 2013, 06:47:14 pm »

You need to download the sound packs, is my guess. Copy then update is better for slow or limited internet if you've still got the old one. 
 Donations here.

jthill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linux startup, start df as soon as soundsense is ready
« Reply #1044 on: May 28, 2013, 01:53:11 pm »

Guessing at how long SoundSense needs to startup was bugging me, it took me a while to think of checking for dbus activity -- now df starts the instant soundsense is ready.

pgrep soundSense.sh >/dev/null \
    || test ! -x soundsense/soundSense.sh \
    || { soundsense/soundSense.sh & dbus-monitor \
        | sed -n '/SoundSense.*gamelog.txt/q'; }`

jthill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How about playing song_game.ogg instead of a random one at startup?
« Reply #1045 on: May 28, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »

I think it'd be a nice tribute/jog down memory lane ...

Skin36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 01, 2013, 12:56:02 pm »

somebody tried to update from within the program?

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 01, 2013, 01:49:59 pm »

somebody tried to update from within the program?
You mean update the soundpack? Sure, I've done it many times.

Skin36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 01, 2013, 02:45:48 pm »

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 02, 2013, 12:53:13 pm »

Hey, just so you know, the shell script has DOS (\r\n) line endings(used by default on Windows) instead of Unix line endings (\n). (used by default on Linux) So if anyone on Linux needs wants to execute the script, they need to convert line endings; My shell reading the shebang doesn't like it( "bad interpreter: /bin/sh^M"), and leaves the shell unable to read the script ( "parse error near `\n'" or "syntax error: unexpected end of fine"). In vim, you can type
:set ff=unix and then save. OP might consider converting the line endings for soundSense.sh in Windows by using these command-line programs

By the way, after this minor problem, soundsense worked amazing, and it's really useful for notifications. Thanks for making it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:02:21 pm by Azrathud »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 105