Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571546 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #750 on: April 16, 2012, 08:16:58 pm »

If you need a fast and reliable host I rent two dedicated servers in a datacenter, I can set you a ftp/http access... keep me in touch.

That would be great, I think you guys would really enjoy this sound.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #751 on: April 17, 2012, 03:13:20 am »

Is it some kind of a setting? I am playing adv. mode and attack sounds are amazing, but they work like 5% of the time.

I literally do no testing with adv mode so I couldn't say.

The text events are different in adv mode I think. It's something which will be worked on eventually.

Yes, there are three types of messages:

You (do something).
(someone) (does something).
The (someone) (does something).

Since only last one appears in dwarf mode, most of pack is tuned to that. Adventurer mode will sometimes catch combat actions of your enemies, but that is mostly accidental.

Adv mode support leaves a lot to be desired.

Arena uses same message system as adventurer, so it is also not that great.

If you need a fast and reliable host I rent two dedicated servers in a datacenter, I can set you a ftp/http access... keep me in touch.

That would be much appreciated.

All I need to deploy auto update site is dumb http server (just unpacked sounndpack.zip with autoUpdater.xml definition in root - http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack/autoUpdater.xml ).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 17, 2012, 03:48:13 am »

Copying strikes.xml and making advstrikes.xml does not help. I replaced "strikes" with "strike", "bashes" with "bash" etc there, but it does not work for some reason.

I've added the file to the autoupdater (but I don't know how to get a proper checksum or size), what else should I do?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 21, 2012, 04:14:57 am »

Zwei, I'm getting a download speed from your site (FTP, not HTTP) of 671bytes/sec.

I normally get into the early 200s of kB/s.

Could you check if something is wrong?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #754 on: April 23, 2012, 11:44:11 am »

Zwei, I'm getting a download speed from your site (FTP, not HTTP) of 671bytes/sec. I normally get into the early 200s of kB/s. Could you check if something is wrong?

It overloaded a bit, should be fine.

Anyhow: connard kindly provided alternative hosting. So far I have set up auto update site, so if you edit autoUpdateURL element in configuration.xml to this:

Code: [Select]
<autoUpdateURL path="http://www.armedassault.info/_hosted/soundsense/au"/>
You should get much more realiable downloads. Shout if auto update complains about some files :-).

I've added the file to the autoupdater (but I don't know how to get a proper checksum or size), what else should I do?

If you want to set up you own autoupdate site, there is ant task for it which will generate proper autoUpdate.xml file: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/ant.zip - edit build.xml to point to correct directories, run with with apache ant.

You can do it by hand, you need to include size and hash and simply add entry for your file:

size is size of file in bytes.
sha1 checksum is plain sha1 hash, total commander can do it.

Ogren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:29 am »

Got a weird error when to start SoundSense the second time (first time worked fine). My version of SoundSense was downloaded together with LazyNewbPack[0.34.07]. I have java version 1.7.

[Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
27/04/2012 03:35:15.110: Exception :org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1;

I was going to post here and ask away immediately, but since I wanted to be able to play (with sound) now, I googled (also, I didnt want to look stupid). After some investigation I found that this was caused by the "configuration.xml" file, it had been currupted and contained only a long string of [NULL] boxes (viewed in notepad++). Once I restored the config file to vanilla the app was working again.

Posting this here in case someone else is googling around. Also, I wonder how the config file could get corrupted?

HunterZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 02, 2012, 10:42:11 pm »

Some random thoughts:
  • It strikes me as odd that StoneSense has a built-in update checker for the soundpack but not for the program itself. At least giving a heads-up that a new version is available might be nice.
  • It might be nice to have something between levels 4 and 5 that excludes the sounds of animals fighting each other. Better yet, a bunch of checkboxes to choose which types of sounds to play (or not) might be the most user-friendly.
  • It would also be good to have the option of having Toady's song_title.ogg and/or song_game.ogg thrown into the mix when they are available.

I first started using SoundSense when it was new, then I took a break from DF and recently came back. I'm pleased to see that SoundSense has really matured in that time. I'm also pleased to see that my Hall of the Mountain King suggestion is still in the soundpack :)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #757 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:56 am »

Okay, there is new version is up. You know the drill: gamelog.txt of you playthrough would be very much appreciated and helpfull for making new version of soundpack.

Especially if you do some animal taming and training and well as crazy minecart physics stuff.

Some random thoughts:
  • It strikes me as odd that StoneSense has a built-in update checker for the soundpack but not for the program itself. At least giving a heads-up that a new version is available might be nice.
  • It might be nice to have something between levels 4 and 5 that excludes the sounds of animals fighting each other. Better yet, a bunch of checkboxes to choose which types of sounds to play (or not) might be the most user-friendly.
  • It would also be good to have the option of having Toady's song_title.ogg and/or song_game.ogg thrown into the mix when they are available.

I first started using SoundSense when it was new, then I took a break from DF and recently came back. I'm pleased to see that SoundSense has really matured in that time. I'm also pleased to see that my Hall of the Mountain King suggestion is still in the soundpack :)

Version check sounds like very reasonable thing to implement, as well as other stuff. Thanks for feedback!

HunterZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 17, 2012, 10:38:09 am »

Thanks. Is there a changelog somewhere?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #759 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:09 am »

I discovered this: http://roguebard.eptalys.net/

Looks like great source of aditional music - I am inclined to add one track per season from this site.

Thanks. Is there a changelog somewhere?

Not really. Most changes are in soundpack anyway.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 24, 2012, 07:41:35 am »

I discovered this: http://roguebard.eptalys.net/

Looks like great source of aditional music - I am inclined to add one track per season from this site.
Sounds awesome! I wouldn't complain.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #761 on: May 24, 2012, 01:08:44 pm »

Question: Is this an open-source project?  I'm in the mood for some hard-coding.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #762 on: May 25, 2012, 05:36:39 am »

Thank to Greiger for providing his minecart related logs!

Question: Is this an open-source project?  I'm in the mood for some hard-coding.

Yes, it is. Sourcecode is included with distribution, but there is no license yet.

What is it that you want to do?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 25, 2012, 10:35:24 am »

Yay the Cartcannon served an actual useful purpose outside of flattening goslings, dingoes and elk birds!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 26, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »

Hey I followed all the downloading steps and soundsense is still not working, how do I go about uninstalling soundsense so I cna have the original soundtack back?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 105