Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571741 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #675 on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:04 am »

Just wanted to say that I installed SoundSense with low expectations, thinking I'd get a jumbled mess of sounds that don't fit together, but I was very, very pleasantly surprised! The music is nice, and the sounds while not professional-quality really enhance the game experience and work well as a whole package. It makes the game less stressful in a sense because you can rely on your ears to warn you of various events instead of keeping your eyes riveted to the log.

I quite like the humor in the dwarven speech, as well, it reflects the spirit of the DF community. I think you need to add a few more variations to the voices as they quickly feel repetitive, but I still like them.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 14, 2012, 02:54:28 am »

I have a question, I don't know if this is a bug or my installation which is not correct, although I'm up to date on package.

I have sounds and music... See these messages... I got the voice sound for the thief! announcement... but I heard nothing about how the crossbow bolt flew into the skull of the lizard thief... Is it normal? Overall I'm not sure I hear any sound when my dorfs fight in fact, although all others sounds play?

Thief!  Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
`Cloth/XBow', Crafter cancels Fell Tree: Interrupted by Lizardwoman Thief.
`Lye/Diplo', Crafter cancels Fell Tree: Interrupted by Lizardwoman Thief.
`Craft/Mace', Crafter cancels Fell Tree: Interrupted by Lizardwoman Thief.
The flying {pine bolt} strikes The Lizardwoman Thief in the head, bruising the muscle, fracturing the skull and bruising the brain!

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 14, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »

@ vorpal+5 I'm not certainly sure how the development of this mod has continued, but I think it relates to the huge amount of sounds you would hear all the time - training uses same sounds as fighting for example so it was a constant volley of sounds if there are militia around. Another quite nasty "spam" sound was vomiting, and boy those goblins and animals tend to vomit long, long time after being shot by my marksdwarves...

I love the latest version, it's far more pleasant now as it doesn't bombard my ears by spamming all the available log sounds. Good work. Adding own soundfiles was easy with this version as it was with the previous version I used.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:08:38 pm by Kuikka »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 14, 2012, 06:28:10 pm »

Yeah, SS seems to decide that at some point, there's too much sound going on and it doesn't play all the effects.

Although I am wondering what happened to the season change voice over. I've gotten so used to hearing her it's like missing a step while walking down the stairs when the seasons change and I don't hear anything.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:46 pm »

@vorpal+5 At least in the version I use (included with the Masterwork mod) the fighting sounds are off by default, you have to enable them in the options.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 15, 2012, 01:47:03 am »

Indeed, I found that myself, they are sorted in the lowest priority, which is off by default. I enable them back (as I don't train my dwarves for now, this is fine).

How do you follow the messages? By checking Soundsense logs or (1) you don't check them now or (2) another method?

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 15, 2012, 07:21:02 am »

Obviously the easiest way is to press "a" for "announcements" in DF, as there are all the lines that trigger new sounds. New mineral/ore found, ambush, season change, moods, death, you name it. SS also follows "r" for "reports" that saves all information about battles - swings, hits and so on.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:41 pm »

Minor update bug. When using the automatic soundpack update in the program, I was getting this every time:
Code: [Select]
Scanning ./packs/
Done scanning ./packs/
Changed: 384438_One_Eternal_Dream.mp3
Changed: 399596_Quest___Overworld_Theme_1.mp3
Changed: 423736_ultimatewhimsyoverturefix.mp3
Done, restart SoundSense.

Quick look in the Seasons folder showed 384438_One_Eternal_Dream.mp3 having 7,509kb and 399596_Quest___Overworld_Theme_1.mp3 and 423736_ultimatewhimsyoverturefix.mp3 having 0kb and 1kb respectively - empty files. Downloaded the soundpack manually from yer site and extracted those three to the folder, and they're normal files: the music autoupdater no longer stutters over 'em.

Long story short: those three files are somehow corrupted in the autoupdate list; hafta manually download the pack to get 'em.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #683 on: March 15, 2012, 02:03:51 pm »

Long story short: those three files are somehow corrupted in the autoupdate list; hafta manually download the pack to get 'em.

Long story even shorter, I fixed that corruption :-)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #684 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:05 am »

Minor SP update is on update site - added some stuff from logs Greiger sent me (necromancer related)

darkstorm51

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 17, 2012, 01:38:03 pm »

Start up the soundsense.exe it will exit after about half a second, when I run the .cmd file it comes up with this:
Code: [Select]
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx1g -Xms1g
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: cz/zweistein/
df/soundsense/SoundSense : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense.  Program w
ill exit.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dwarf Fortress\soundsense>

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 17, 2012, 01:59:00 pm »

I just got the same message.

I have a clean install of DF 34.05 and have never run into this problem before.
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #687 on: March 17, 2012, 03:05:52 pm »

Update your java to 7.x, that should fix it.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »

Update your java to 7.x, that should fix it.

I have the same problem. Grabbed jre-7u3-windows-i586 off of the Java website and SS is still doing the command prompt flash. I'm not Java-savvy but I did have quick enough fingers to nab the command prompt before it closed... although it would be pointless to link the image since someone has already tossed up the text it contained.

What else could be causing this? Only thing I've done that would possibly be "weird" is copied the folder that contains all of the sounds from my previous install of LNP in to the new folder. I figured that would be faster than downloading all of the files again, considering I already have them. I don't see how any of that would create this sort of problem, though.

Thanks in advance!

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 20, 2012, 08:55:32 am »

Just a tip: There's an evil laughter file in one of the folders, I can't for the life of me remember which one, I think it's in the moods folder (maybe for a Fell mood?). I used that for the discovery of a dwarf drained of blood. You have no idea how scary it is to read "Urist McUnfortunateVampireVictim has been found dead, completely drained of blood!" and hear that sinister witch laughter. Heartily recommend you try that :D
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 105