Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invader siege weapons  (Read 1021 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
Invader siege weapons
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:05:20 pm »

What it says. After a certain population or wealth, invaders start packing the heavy artillery. Mobile catapults and ballistas. They park about 100 tiles from wherever they're gonna shoot from and open fire. I'd say they'd come with two Siege Operators and maybe two-three guards?

Naturally, they'd need setup and set-down time, meaning they'd take a while to unpack, move to another place, and re-pack. They'd also have limited ammo, meaning eventually they'd be forced to unpack and either find some stone laying around (catapults) or just plain retreat (ballistas).

Another fun idea to play around with is battering rams. They're manned by a couple invaders and they meander on up to your doors, floodgates, grates, whatever. I'm thinking they'd need a 3-tile space to move like the Trade Wagons. They'd begin battering the gate when they get in range and after a while the gate would be destroyed.

I'm aware this is probably already suggested or whatever, or is planned for the war arc, but I didn't see anything on it.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invader siege weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:01:55 pm »

I don't think the three-by-three battering rams is a good idea. It just means you have to put your door slightly in the tunnel.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:11:37 pm »

I don't think the three-by-three battering rams is a good idea. It just means you have to put your door slightly in the tunnel.

Rams could have the ability to punch holes in walls, rather than just being large, unwieldy [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]s. You could set up a moat to stop them, but eventually invaders will start building bridges so you'll need to actively shoot them down to protect your walls. Getting through walls, doors and moats is already planned in another sieges arc.Core26.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »

As you suspected, this is a very common request, (#31 on the Eternal Suggestion Voting) enough that probably not even forum feature dilligent tracker of the suggestions board, Footkerchief, will bother with the number of threads that cover this...

As far as I can tell, there are generally two major draws that DF has, and players can tend to be divided along how much they prefer one over the other - players interested in the military aspects of the game, and players interested in the physics engine/architecture side of the game...

... and having more challenging and intelligent threats to one's fortress has been a sort of eternal request among the militarists, and the "invincible turtle strategy" has forced quite a few house rules against using any traps, drawbridges, crossbows, or other defenses that make the game "too easy".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:24:37 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:22 pm »

i read in the raws that sieges weapons are going to be added sooner or later, go to raw objects and find the wagon, he explains that in the mean time before siege weaponry is implemented he'll leave the wagon tissues wood
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...