Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I miss chasms so much...  (Read 1864 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
I miss chasms so much...
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:46:33 am »

I realise they had to go because of all the stuff with the caverns and such, but oh Armok, how I miss them. I feel completely lost at how to build a complex fortress now, because I've always based my designs around a chasm. Used to make lots of tunnels and rooms, bridges over the chasm, narrow stairs, etc, then visit in adventure mode and see it all totally infested with chasm creatures, and fight to turn it into a glorious mess of blood, ichor and vomit... Sigh.

No, I'm not really frustrated, it's just a random rant. Just don't know what to do now that I finally found time to play the new version with its nastiest bugs (mostly) fixed. Maybe I'll try to create an artificial chasm spanning all the cavern levels down to you know what.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I miss chasms so much...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:56:59 am »

*deleted*

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:11 am »

Once in DF2010 I did run across the message for "hey there's a chasm here". But they don't actively show up anymore and it's just considered unnecessary if all you want is a large spawning point for monsters. You can make those spawning locations yourself as you've already pointed out.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:05 am »

i think i have a chasm at my current fort, it has it all right now, magama pipes, chasms, ungergound caverns filled with lush tress and very few monsters.. excpt for the damned FB, which is currently haunting the east side of my cavern, not a worry, though
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:04:45 pm »

i think i have a chasm at my current fort, it has it all right now, magama pipes, chasms, ungergound caverns filled with lush tress and very few monsters.. excpt for the damned FB, which is currently haunting the east side of my cavern, not a worry, though
Do you have 100+ cave swallowmen or other subterranean peoples in the chasm? Or just the regular "3-7 ghouls" which get replaced by other wildlife when they wander off.
Do you enjoy having 3 FBs come before the first goblin squad?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:07:03 pm »

:o

not a chasm

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:49:09 pm »

I also miss chasm's and bottomless pits and underground pools ):

Caverns are so... disorganized. Not worth the fps hit to me, but then again now it's hard to find another water source.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:39:22 pm »

If you gen a world with 100 openness and 0 passages the caverns will function much like a shallow chasm.

Your caverns will be wide open, with large stone pillars going from ceiling to floor. You can carve out those pillars to be bedrooms, workshops, or storage, and then link each pillar together with elevated walkways.

Anything that falls off the walkway will be lost forever to the harsh, evil underworld. All of those skeletal cave trolls will tear them apart. Giving the walkways walls is optional, so is enclosing them, which means fliers can still attack the walkways.

Most caverns are around 5 Z levels in height (average from what I've seen), so if you build walkways on the Z level just below the ceiling, constructing them out of rock blocks, and then carve rooms in the pillars themselves you'll end up with 4-5 Z level tall buildings with skybridges linking them together.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »

@Hyndis: Some caverns can be incredibly tall also. I've seen them go over 40z.

PS. Has anyone figured out what in world gen causes this?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »

You could try tweaking    [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1] to [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:15], and
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:50]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0] 0,40 or 80 haven't tried
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]

==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 08:14:34 pm »

You could try tweaking    [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1] to [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:15], and
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:50]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0] 0,40 or 80 haven't tried
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]

in my current for my third , bottem cavern expands fo Z-elvel till bottem 88 to z-level to boteem -6, so, thats 94 z levels from veeery tops to water

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »

in my current for my third , bottem cavern expands fo Z-elvel till bottem 88 to z-level to boteem -6, so, thats 94 z levels from veeery tops to water

did your cat type that?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 09:45:53 pm »

did your cat type that?

damn. im embarassed :| thats what i get for typin without the light on.. or looking at what im typing