Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Absolute Power and Honesty  (Read 2803 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Absolute Power and Honesty
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 10:33:22 pm »

I recently got into a conversation about what it would be like to be Kim-Jong-Il. Most of the people I talked to agreed that knowing in the back of your mind that no one will ever speak honestly to you about anything would make it horrible. So I ask of you, Bay 12: Would you accept absolute power with the knowlage that everyone will fear you too much to ever speak truthfuly to you again?

... so how absolute are we talking? Because with absolute power, you can redefine their pathetic honesty. Remember, whoever controls the past controls the present, and whoever controls the present controls the future.

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 10:35:46 pm »

We are talking beyond Ingsoc levels of control. You could do almost anything but redefine the minds of the people, who would fear you too much for them to do anything about it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 10:44:04 pm »

Beyond? Hell, I'm all over that shit. I'm gonna go Miracleman on North America. Accept utopia or I'll tear you in half by spitting at you.

Utopia justifies the means. Absolute power would mean that you'd have to consider a path of morality distinct from the usual one, because the usual one assumes human means and ways. Full-on ubermensch, people*.

*In all honesty, though, I'd find such a course of action appalling.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 10:46:26 pm »

Can I order everyone in the world to continue on with their lives exactly as before I came to power except stop killing each other over differing religion and ethnicity?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 10:48:19 pm »

I'm too libertarian to be very authoritarian.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 10:48:36 pm »

Can I order everyone in the world to continue on with their lives exactly as before I came to power except stop killing each other over differing religion and ethnicity?

Indeed you could. And they would all say, "Yes, Great Leader.".
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 10:58:45 pm »

That's not the act of a dictator, but of an army of jedi!

I would hate it. Not because of all the lies, but because I would have no clue what to do with all that power and would give it up as soon as possible.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 11:01:54 pm »

I would hate it. Not because of all the lies, but because I would have no clue what to do with all that power and would give it up as soon as possible.

Oh no, you don't get to give it up. All attempts to remove yourself from power will be viewed as the Great Leader searching for poteintal dissadents. A suicide attempt will result in all the world's  best medical technlogy being used to try and save you. If you accept the power, it's yours forever.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 11:04:45 pm »

That's not the act of a dictator, but of an army of jedi!

Conquer the solar system.

Spread humanity throughout the galaxy.

Become nothing less than a God-Emperor.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 11:08:10 pm »

Oh no, you don't get to give it up. All attempts to remove yourself from power will be viewed as the Great Leader searching for poteintal dissadents. A suicide attempt will result in all the world's  best medical technlogy being used to try and save you. If you accept the power, it's yours forever.
What if I built myself a bunker on the moon then ordered no one to ever follow me up there? Also, I'm leaving my cat in charge. Muahahahaha!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 11:11:06 pm »

God no. I don't ever want to have that much power.

A huge amount of power, yes, but I value anonymity. A lot.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 11:13:42 pm »

Smae. If I ever succeed in creating the awesome games I want to and become famous(unlikely), I'll hire someone to represent me for  the press. No one shall know who I am, no matter what!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 11:14:38 pm »

Smae. If I ever succeed in creating the awesome games I want to and become famous(unlikely), I'll hire someone to represent me for  the press. No one shall know who I am, no matter what!

Likewise, if I ever become a famous writer, it's pseudonyms all the way!

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 12:53:47 am »

I struggle with an incredible lust for power.

It would kind of suck because you would never know if someone really loved you, or if they were afraid to act otherwise.

A difficult choice.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 01:08:34 am »

Absolutely. I don't give a damn if people lie to me or whatever, with absolute power their lies don't matter. I daresay, they don't matter. If I could have anything I wanted, I don't think it'd be possible to be unhappy. I don't think it'd be 'horrible', rather, I think it'd be 'heaven'.

Absolute power, absolute control. Everything would be within your grasp.
Heh, for some weird reason your strategy -- "ignore the critics, I have absolute power so who cares?" -- makes me think of Michael Jackson hanging out at Neverland Ranch and never mind how weird it may seem.
The equal opposite of that would be Barbara Streisand suing everyone in sight.

I think Jackson had the better strategy, or at least wasted a lot less time being stressed out.

Heh, there's the rub, isn't it?  Even with absolute power time is still a scarce resource, the one thing you're guaranteed to waste worrying what people are saying about you.

Your strategy is definitely the wisest ... assuming your absolute power were never in danger of usurpation, of course.  I'm not sure Kim Jong-Il could afford it.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4