Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I have created a monster !  (Read 4098 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have created a monster !
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 02:59:36 pm »

Four grand master dragons might do the trick.

Or just put him in the next level of legendary.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »

I ran into one of these in fortress mode, wandering over to my fort over land - I went into instant defcon 1, scrambled every military unit I had, and...

He walked into a cage trap.

And it caught him.

I had him in a zoo for a while, with gold walls and stuff.

Then I thought that was a waste of his talents, so I modded him as a pet, and assigned him to my militia commander.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:28:04 pm »

^^

What would we do without cage traps?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 03:34:59 pm »

I ran into one of these in fortress mode, wandering over to my fort over land - I went into instant defcon 1, scrambled every military unit I had, and...

He walked into a cage trap.

And it caught him.

I had him in a zoo for a while, with gold walls and stuff.

Then I thought that was a waste of his talents, so I modded him as a pet, and assigned him to my militia commander.

Breach the HFS and start the war of the century. You must do it NAO!

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 04:06:30 pm »

hel lose to men of fire if he gets swarmed by them with no armor

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 04:36:39 pm »

Bronze collosus have no chance of taking hell. over 15 men of fire can make fire that can melt bronze and kill any creature from the heat. lets say they can kill over 3 bronze collosus with armor.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »

I think we need to build a huge temple in his honor. Place him at the alter inside his cage. All dwarves will bow down to him. Every day there will be offerings to the great Adamantite Armored Bronze Colossus.

Only when the dwarves need him will he be released from his cage, to fight at their side. Soon all nations will tremble at the feet of the dwarven empire. But alas, the poor Colossus, trapped, only used when he is needed, a tool at the hands of maniacs.

One day the Bronze Colossus goes on a rampage, killing all who were once his masters. The walls are covered in blood, the floors in bone. Only the Colossus remains now, waiting, silent, alone.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

currently against 20 fully slade dwarves nothing hes killing them one by one slowly.................. only thing that can kill is 10-20 Fire men

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 05:15:23 pm »

Mod fluffy wamblers to be non-vermin.

Gear up a fluffy wambler.

Put it in with the colossus.

Watch the carnage.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 05:18:43 pm »

Sadly slade armored cow die fast  ;)

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »

Well, yeah, it's a cow.  Use a horse.  Once I had a horse chained up as trap bait, and a troll wandered up in a siege and started wrestling with it.  I let it go for a bit, and the horse jointlocked him until he passed out from the pain.  Horses are totally badass in DF.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 05:27:20 pm »

Sadly slade armored cow die fast  ;)

I once managed to give an elephant steel armor in the arena.  :o

It was rampaging across an army of dwarves, though one of them managed to get in a lucky crit that killed it instantly.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 05:30:45 pm »

well i threw Alot more dwarves at this time diff weapons. its all red all over yet it wont die. are they supposed ot be immortal.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 05:46:11 pm »

They're not quite immortal.  Either decapitation or bisection will kill them (and any other nonbleeding inorganic titans). 

Bronze colossi are tough for several reasons.  The first is that you have to use something stronger than bronze to even hurt them.  A multilegendary adventurer couldn't touch a colossus with his exceptional bronze axe, but an ordinary steel axe (obtained from a dwarf comrade) allowed him to slice'n'dice it very nicely.

The second problem is that weapons have a hardcoded limit to what size of body parts they can remove, based on their contact area and similar.  This is the property that stops arrows from slicing off anything larger than a finger, and similar.  A human-sized axe capable of wounding a bronze colossus will allow you to remove its feet, hands, ears, and nose.  However, since bronze colossi do not bleed or feel pain, this will not massively inconvenience it (it will be reduced to crawling, slowing it, and will use its "push" attack rather than punching, but it will survive). 

The problem here is that there is no method for, say, repeatedly chopping at the colossus's neck with an axe like someone felling a tree to achieve the lethal decapitation.  If a weapon isn't large enough remove its head or bisect it in one blow, it won't do it, period.  After messing around with some modding, a human-sized axe with ten times the normal "contact area" value (Buster Axe!) could remove arms and legs from the colossus.  I'm not sure if it could achieve a killing strike, but I didn't see it happen.  One twenty times larger than normal, however, quickly decapitated the monster, killing it. 

Ideally, this could be fixed in vanilla DF by putting in some sort of system where multiple wounds to the same part add their "effective contact area" together in order to allow lumberjack-style kills on the more resilient enemies.

Another hint: don't use full slade armor.  It's so insanely heavy that they'll barely be able to move (even a controllable bronze colossus had his speed highly reduced by full slade armor), and they'll get their asses kicked.  Use adamantine for armor instead, with a single slade weapon.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 05:48:23 pm »

Mod fluffy wamblers to be non-vermin.

Gear up a fluffy wambler.