Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exporting geologic maps  (Read 392 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Exporting geologic maps
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:28:56 pm »

Hi all,

Does anyone know where in the save files the map info is located, and whether it could be used to construct a geologic map of the world or other maps not covered in the legends exporter?

I've been unable to discover any predictor for the presence of limestone whatsoever, other than that it favors ocean floors (there's a biome token in the raws for limestone.  Real limestone is found all over the place, certainly much more common than in DF, so I prefer to delete that token).  Drainage, volcanism, temperature, elevation, and rainfall have no effect, other than whether sedimentary rocks are present.  If they are present, it appears to be a random roll of the dice for which sed rocks are shown.  So, I thought it would be nice to be able to map it.

This is mostly just to satisfy my inner geek and not really for gameplay.  I've found ways to make limestone common enough that you don't have to work too hard looking for it (just delete the more useless sed rocks so that limestone is picked more often).  I just think it would be neat to be able to do this.  It sounded like something a dwarf would do.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.