Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lead Mugs to Gold Mugs: Concerning Alchemy  (Read 1096 times)

ClaidheamhMor16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lead Mugs to Gold Mugs: Concerning Alchemy
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »

I was playing DF and I was using therapist like many folks do.
I enabled some dwarves to have alchemy labors to see what would come of it.
(Not knowing many considered it a stock labor with no actual in-game function)
Soon I had come across lead and smelted some lead bars like a good little Urist McDwarf.
When I set my Urist McBlacksmith to create some lead mugs to sell to the dirty hippies,
(Who purchased lead items like they were platinum)
they mysteriously appeared to have created -gold- mugs.

I had a little (WTF!) moment then took a look at labors.
I saw the only possible explanation,
(that made sense)
was that Alchemy had an adverse side effect on lead turning to gold when used to produce mugs/goblets.

This is a bug or proof that Alchemy does stuff?

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Lead Mugs to Gold Mugs: Concerning Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:43 pm »

It's a known bug, and it's got nothing to do with alchemy. I suppose you could still pretend that your dwarves are magic, though.

ClaidheamhMor16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:59:14 pm »

It's a known bug, and it's got nothing to do with alchemy. I suppose you could still pretend that your dwarves are magic, though.

But.. Urist McDwarf -is- magic.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:39 am »

Unfortunately this also works in reverse.

I've had platinum and aluminum suddenly turn into gold goblets...
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

reborninthefortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:00:31 am »

Yeah, that happens. Platinum turns to iron as well, had a bunch of iron flasks. :( Also when I made platinum > gold goblets they wouldn't show up in the trade screen (although the flasks did).
'I have enough barrels!'

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:38 am »

Aluminum mugs
Will sometimes degrade to gold
but there is a cure!

Aluminium!
Renaming it properly
seems to fix it. Strange.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 04:16:20 am »

Alchemy, Alchemy, they've all got it Alchemy!

Not only am I having trouble providing a noble with three demanded lay-pewter items, because when I've constructed (say) goblets from Lay Pewter bars, they turn into gold and the noble ignores them, but a Bonecrafter also went moody, gathered a stack of 9 mountain goat bones (and that's all) and was able to create an Iron Figurine of Dwarfs out of it...

The latter I don't mind ("Carve bone bolts"=>stack of Iron bolts?, hmm, I wonder...), but the former could be troublesome, especially as I'm low on wood (don't want to routeably tap into the underground caverns, just yet, until I'm prepared to deal with hostile force sitting there), not yet got down to the magma and had to charcoalify some of my precious arboreal stock already to smelt the metal I already used, so I can't experiment too much to see whether I can get something else to become Lay Pewter (sounds like I couldn't, anyway), short of modding in a custom game reactions.

I don't know if it's related, but I just dabbled (separately from the above event, and without touching the actual "Alchemy" skill, which so far I've not even bothered in any form, even if it had been relevent) with the latest Dwarf Therapist, set up for my verison of .08, with a config file partly self-derived, with the last address needing grabbing from a recent forum post (though I need to go back to that thread to see if there was an update, from past use, I thought there was a military tab as well) and some of the "Current task" infos were totally unrelated to anything the given dwarf was doing.  Something like (though I forget exactly) saying they were making rope-reed vests instead of making stone crafts.  Probably a separate issue, though.  And most jobs seem to be accurate.