Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?  (Read 64356 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:01 am »

Wait? DF does split processing frames from aparent frames? Well that means it must have a very simple level of multithreading then, as that shows two differentt tasks running together.

Totaly capping my veiwed fps at 60. Maybe less.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2011, 12:38:07 am »

It's capped by default at 50. lowering it increases game FPS
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2011, 09:20:23 am »

it must have a very simple level of multithreading then, as that shows two differentt tasks running together.
It does have separate graphics/interface and data processing threads since one of 40d versions.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:01 am »

They arn't quantem at all! They just use sub-atomic physics.

And yet you don't bat an eye at "sub-atomic".  Welcome to !!language!!.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »

Wait? DF does split processing frames from aparent frames? Well that means it must have a very simple level of multithreading then, as that shows two differentt tasks running together.

Processing logical frames and rendered frames at different rates doesn't necessarily imply separate threads.  An easy way to do it in one thread is to simply process logical frames at the desired rate, and each frame check to see if it's time to render yet.  I do not know if this is what DF does or not, though.  If logical frames and rendering frames do have separate threads, it probably still does not benefit significantly from multiple cores, as the rendering thread cannot proceed while the logic thread is updating the game state.  There's a lot the logic could do before updating the state, but I doubt it's cleanly separated that way; having incremental updates throughout the logic is probably what makes parallelizing it such an intractable problem.

taodih

• Bay Watcher
  • Aye
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »

Just by reading this thread i double/tripled my fps.

Really , there should be a thread that lists all little tricks that can be used to improve framerate.
And the wiki can't really fullfill it because it's a more all arround guide.
some tricks could be version related , others just outdated and some just sure enough if it really helps.

I would set up such a thread but knowing me I won't keep it up to date/neglect it..

so If anyone would be up for it i will help where i can (like the ramp design really helped out)
Aye

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

taodih

• Bay Watcher
  • Aye
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 02, 2011, 08:16:52 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

And like I said...

That dosent cover everything...
Or is it ok to edit that page with links to the mods and usefull tips.
i mean , you have fortress designs , ramps , burrows , and so forth. it will/would also cover some proper fortress management
or does that go to another wiki page?

there is more then just what is on the wiki..
Aye

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2011, 08:20:32 pm »

Well right now computers don't look at things on an atomic level, a transistor is a single unit, and isn't made of anything smaller, as far as the computer as a unit cares. This way of processing looking as units smaller then a conventional chemical atom, so things smaller then atoms, so sub-atomic. Problem?

taodih

• Bay Watcher
  • Aye
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »

to the entire "language" problem I can not say it better then Stephen Fry

watch this to the end if you wish to be educated.

watch me on vimeo or youtube if you desire
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:17:18 pm by taodih »
Aye

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2011, 10:51:05 pm »

*Half way through*
I like this guy! He is an un-gramma nazi, so to speek. Still, tecnical terms and common english arn't the same thing. Tecnical jargon has a specific reason to be, and should be held to that standard.

taodih

• Bay Watcher
  • Aye
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2011, 11:17:47 pm »

*Half way through*
I like this guy! He is an un-gramma nazi, so to speek. Still, tecnical terms and common english arn't the same thing. Tecnical jargon has a specific reason to be, and should be held to that standard.

True that , but what i tried to point out was the fact that new words and verbs will be made when they are needed are felt like it was possible.
eventually there will always be need for a temporary term but so many things have changed within language and tbh I find (next to verbal language) scientific terms the most changing (due to extreemly fast and renewed theories)

BUT

back on topic. fps death will always be there but imo i think you can make a very fast pc perfectly made for DF (or heavy cpu dependant programs).
2 cores are more then fine and honestly , i find it nice to have a reason to build a good dual core cpu oriented pc becuase i like to build/overclock computers.
it's a challange i dare to take. eventually with a bit of time you can make such a pc for less then 200 - 300 $.
find it such a waste for such good hardware to let it catch dust.

[EDIT] also to blame Stephen Fry for making me realise over and over that i need to learn the english language (although it isint my first language).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:26:17 pm by taodih »
Aye

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10:39 am »

Well right now computers don't look at things on an atomic level, a transistor is a single unit, and isn't made of anything smaller, as far as the computer as a unit cares. This way of processing looking as units smaller then a conventional chemical atom, so things smaller then atoms, so sub-atomic. Problem?

You were complaining that the "quantum" in "quantum computer" doesn't meet your understanding of the term from some context other than quantum physics.  Lest you forget, once upon a time "atom" meant an indivisible unit.  With that understanding of the word, "sub-atomic" is a contradiction.  The term was justifiably applied to physical units once thought to be atomic, and later discovered not to be.  By that time, the term was established technical jargon, and "atomic" can refer to anything having to do with atoms or the study of atoms.  It's much the same with quantum physics.  The behaviors of things which were unexpectedly found to come in discrete quantities turned out to also include things like superposition and entanglement.  These aren't quanta of anything, but still fall under the broad banner of quantum physics.  And it is these that are responsible for the unique properties of quantum computers.

The point is, language isn't static.  It changes over time and according to context.  You can't criticize a term like "quantum computer" without considering the context it comes from.

Or, in dwarven metaphor:  People often don't notice the difference between language and !!language!!.  If you pick up the wrong one, you may find your lips have suddenly melted off.  The moral is, I dunno, always consult the language files?

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2011, 07:06:10 am »

Hi, i've been paging trough this thread a little and i feel i bit out of place(Math breaks my brain for some reason) But you know the nvidia has a little side project running using CUDA for repettetive tasks and that the cuda source is open for develepors (look at boinc for example) I think Df is a prime example of a program that could use the brute force of recently releaced video cards?

Or am i making a REALLY dump statement here  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21