Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: If you ruled the world...  (Read 16542 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: If you ruled the world...
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »

You know, the more I read about the 'ideal governments' people are listing here, the happier I become that none of them are ever going to actually rule the world.
Everybody here has the potential to be a megalomaniacal supervillain.
I already got issue 1 taken care of in my post.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »

Objection!!!

They would be stealing Phoenix Wright's job!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2010, 04:00:02 am »

If a convicted felon is later proven innocent, the judge and/or plaintiff will face the full sentence, including but not restricted to fines, imprisonment, and execution.  That may be expanded to civil suits, too.
That would be an absolutely apalling thing to do.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2010, 04:09:20 am »

If a convicted felon is later proven innocent, the judge and/or plaintiff will face the full sentence, including but not restricted to fines, imprisonment, and execution.  That may be expanded to civil suits, too.
I'd execute the felon anyway. Suspicion is grounds for execution. No-one gets to be arch-supervillain without a healthy measure of extreme paranoia.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2010, 04:31:10 am »

If I ruled the world, I'd reform education. Those damn nationalists keep going for piss-poor education and fighting for their rights to get a job even when they don't qualify. I'd design it to give everyone an equal chance to work hard towards being qualified, but make education systems more brutal on weeding out graduates who perform poorly. Right now, you've got people with straight A's coming from bad universities and comp science graduates who can't even answer questions from the first chapter of C++ for Dummies.

It'd have to start from school, though. Western schools put too much focus on teaching kids to be creative (with SAT, ACT, etc), Eastern ones too much on rote learning. Kids should be at a level where all of them can know derivatives, complex numbers, and basic statistics comfortably, as well as some world history... on WHY things happened not WHAT happened. I'd put less focus on PE, art, literature, religion, and music, because it's all personal taste. I'd force them to take at least one of those subjects, to be cultural and stuff.

Education solves half the world's problems. Malaria? AIDS? Get more doctors and teach them proper health care. Poverty? Teach them to earn money, don't goddamn have million dollar campaigns to stop poor people from breeding. Dictatorships? Corruption? People are more reluctant to supress the rights of intellectuals.

Ruling the world means that everyone in the world's the citizen of the same country, not this silly my country vs yours crap. Everyone gets their country built to an average level of development, though each country/state still gets to keep a significant portion of the wealth they produce, otherwise the nationalists will still get angry.

Once we get education and economy right, we can focus on the important stuff, like military and conquering other planets.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2010, 04:44:02 am »

I'd execute the felon anyway. Suspicion is grounds for execution. No-one gets to be arch-supervillain without a healthy measure of extreme paranoia.
Yeah, besides, he likely felt guilty anyway, and smiled during the trial.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2010, 06:20:38 am »

Yeah, besides, he likely felt guilty anyway, and smiled during the trial.
Oooooh no, we've moved on from that.

Arch-supervillany gets the thumbs up from me though. It's just what you do when you rule the world.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2010, 07:17:53 am »

Western schools put too much focus on teaching kids to be creative (with SAT, ACT, etc)
Buh? Have you seen ACT/SAT "strategy guides"? Western education is focused exactly, as you say, on "weeding out" graduates instead of actually educating them. The whole system categorizes kids from elementary school and up into slots ranging neatly from 'failure' to 'graduate school', and teachers focus most on the kids that need the least amount of help, assuming that the rest are too stupid to contribute to their district GPA. Meanwhile, math and science are rendered joyless by constant reminders of the consequences of failure. It's a terrible way to encourage success and breed innovation - the few people that do perform well under it are those that learn to work the system and the lucky few that managed to impress their teachers with being able to read normal literature in middle school/elementary because their parents actually gave a shit about teaching them.
</rant>
This has been my experience, at least.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:09 am »

I thought the whole point of this thread was offering, as hypothetical Supreme Despot, our ham-handed "solutions" to various problems.  Or are we supposed to pretend we'd be wise, benevolent rulers?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2010, 07:32:45 am »

Hey, no one said we couldn't comment too :P
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:11 am »

I thought the whole point of this thread was offering, as hypothetical Supreme Despot, our ham-handed "solutions" to various problems.  Or are we supposed to pretend we'd be wise, benevolent rulers?

The reason your idea wouldn't work is because judges and crown attornies would no longer exist, as they would be incredibly high risk jobs. Those that did exist would never send anybody to jail. The whole legal system would collapse.

Good try getting all defensive, though.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2010, 09:53:58 am »

The reason your idea wouldn't work is because judges and crown attornies would no longer exist, as they would be incredibly high risk jobs. Those that did exist would never send anybody to jail. The whole legal system would collapse.

Good try getting all defensive, though.

If you read the laws at the link he originally gave, it works better.  The judge only gets in trouble if the reason the conviction was done wrong is explicitly the judges fault.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2010, 10:39:18 am »

Something interesting but slightly off topic - a confession doesn't always mean guilt.  A lot of the worst miscarriages of justice are based on confessions squeezed or tricked out of people.

And Grakelin - he was basically saying it was a joke.

I missed Aqizzar's conscriptocracy idea, and I definately support it.  I quite liked the idea of a jury type system as a way of reforming the House of Lords in Britain too (although, quite frankly, flipping a coin would be more fair than our current system).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2010, 11:51:57 am »

Western schools put too much focus on teaching kids to be creative (with SAT, ACT, etc)

Creative?
There are classes you can take just to pass these.  Far from creative.  They basically tell you the tips and tricks of gaming the test.  You do not need an imagination or develop innovative stuff to pass.

Though, it doesn't help that many colleges and universities like to ride on these tests as the #1 criteria to weed out applicants.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2010, 12:30:32 pm »

As a Drama major, I would argue that creativity is vitally important for our youth. It keeps the brain juices flowing, it allows people to make decisions, it is the reason for doing all the work and living in the first place.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14