Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126202 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.20) [for DF 31.08]
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2010, 06:32:01 am »

Reading for fun leads to "satisfied at work" positive thoughts for good readers, and it keeps idlers busy.  Other than that, it's just for flavor at this point, until Toady One makes the Reading skill more useful.

Thanks for verifying the mod works for 31.10.  Unfortunately, the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag doesn't make red wizards magma-safe by itself, and I'm still tinkering a work-around.
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_MELTING_POINT:15000]
[IF_EXISTS_SET_BOILING_POINT:20000]
Taken from the fire imp raws.
Also known as Zuhayr.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:32 am »

Code: [Select]
   [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
      [HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
      [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
      [IF_EXISTS_SET_MELTING_POINT:15000]
      [IF_EXISTS_SET_BOILING_POINT:20000]
Taken from the fire imp raws.

Yes, but I think each caste must use the same definition. So it's either all wizards or none.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »

Yes, but I think each caste must use the same definition. So it's either all wizards or none.

Castes are not required to share anything.  The raws I pasted my affect all castes due to the ALL line, but you could manually alter a caste's materials to be different from all the others and it would work fine.
Also known as Zuhayr.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »

Thanks, Lofn.  To reiterate, any caste-level alteration of a material called inside the caste affects the material for the entire creature if the material was defined before the castes.  I'm positive it works this way (as of 31.08, anyway).  You can test it yourself; try and make only black wizards have black blood, and each of them will.  Same thing applies to the temperature resistances.

This doesn't seem apply to materials that are declared at the caste-level, but not in the main creature entry (casted golems/colossi are a good example).  Defining the blood on a caste-by-caste basis should fix the problem.

Thanks for the testing, Rask.  Also, I have to ask:  Moving Fortresses?

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2010, 02:12:31 pm »

Thanks for the testing, Rask.  Also, I have to ask:  Moving Fortresses?
Devlog, maybe.
Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2010, 04:58:07 pm »

Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)
And whole fortresses, as Toady unofficially, partly confirmed in the FotF thread.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2010, 02:42:31 am »

That's pretty cool.  I need to take a closer look at the new devlog sooner than later.

Version .22 is up now with some adventurer mode reactions, magma forges, re-balances and more stuff.  I didn't want to call it done until the adventurer's magic missiles were where I wanted them to be, and I think they're good enough for now.  Thing is, if you don't throw them immediately after conjuring them, they explode in your hand, surrounding you in "a burst of magic missile."  :-\  When you throw them right, they are effective weapons with the coolest "Dwarf Fortress ASCII" special effects I could muster.

Another thing is the lack of entity control over adventure mode reactions.   I wonder if Toady One has plans to change that.  As of right now, every adventurer can use the reactions unless they're removed from the save folder before play.  This may be undesirable for some.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.22) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2010, 03:43:02 am »

Tested the rebalancing with a series of 1v1 duels between green wizards (so magic missiles wouldn't interfere), all steel gear+shield, all competent combat skills.

Results:

digging vs cutting wands:  2 digging wins, 3 cutting wins. However, there's no mining skill in the arena, so the digging were effectively unskilled.

cutting vs battle axe:  1 cutting win, 4 axe wins

war hammer vs smiting:  5 war hammer wins, 0 smiting wins. One broken nose the single injury on the hammer side.

slaying vs spear: 2 slaying wins, 3 spear wins

piercing vs spear: 2 piercing wins, 3 spear wins

biting vs whip: 0 biting wins, 5 whip wins. No injuries.

long sword vs whip: 1 sword win, 4 whip wins

long sword vs axe: 4 sword wins, 1 axe win

Right now, it looks as if longswords are the only worthwhile weapon against armoured opponents. Ranged weapons probably too, but I didn't test those. The problem is still that the wands penetrate less than their counterparts.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2010, 03:51:23 am »

Wow, Rask, thanks.  That's extremely helpful.  I hope to have the balance worked out soon, please share if you discover anything new.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2010, 05:06:02 pm »

Wow, this mod was the first time I've actually used burro.... now wait I used them once when I still had invaders on,  but anyways... a lesson I just learned.

Do NOT have a Red Wizard on hunting duty >.>

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23b) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2010, 08:24:20 pm »

It's a great idea if you need to clear a lot of brush really fast.  But, at least your burrows saved their lives.  During testing I tried to get the wizards into a burrow away from the fire; unfortunately, they weren't smart enough to go around the fire to get to the burrow...

Version .23b is up.  While it pains me to remove wands it's only temporary.  With the new combat calculations, I can't get them to be small, made of conventional materials, and penetrating all at the same time.  I have plans for a wandmaker's workshop that will create functional wands made of a special material able to penetrate heavy armor.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:02 am »

Hmm. Would hot and cold materials work? I dunno if they effect the wielder too.
It'd be cool to burn some dude to ashes though.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2010, 11:19:14 am »

There appears to be a rather fine line between making a hot and effective weapon and making a weapon that conflagrates the wielder.  I haven't pinpointed exactly where that line is drawn.

Edit:  Version .23c uploaded to remove [TRAINING] from wands.  It was added so they could be made from wood, but it was preventing Wands of Cutting from being embarked with by default.  It's easy to dismantle the wagon for the wood you'd need, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Edit again:  Version .23d is up now, with a couple tweaks and an extra adventure mode conjuration.  The improvised fireballs are a bit strange.  They burn for a long time and they don't really seem to disappear.  I hope to improve them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:26:39 am by SethCreiyd »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23d) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2010, 09:20:01 am »

I just noticed something,  Wizard Cities always seem to be laid out the same way, how did you manage that?  Or maybe I've just gotten a trend in the RNG.

Also appearently fireballs can melt  the Red Wizards >.>  Did you give them Fire Immune AND super fire immune or just one of them? nevermind

I saw that you'd need someway to make them immune to heatdam,  probably really friggin high Ignite, Melt, and heatdam points.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:57:53 am by Kaelem Gaen »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23d) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2010, 04:17:16 pm »

Yes, and the appropriate mats will need to be set up individually for each caste in order to work properly.  I'm not even completely sure it will work.

Wizard Cities are definitely genned random.  Last evening I discovered one that had it's keep built on a canyon over the rest of the town proper, which sat on the shore in the valley below.  The to the keep was extremely well-hidden down a very thin slope of land, I couldn't even find it without following one of the locals.  It seems to me like oceans generate the most interesting cities, but that may just be more randomness.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33