Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (uber) Farming  (Read 1274 times)

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
(uber) Farming
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:28:41 am »

Is it just me who thinks farming is a bit overpowered at the moment?

I think we should tone down the produce. Say, make plants that have growing times closer to 9 months or so, and make it so that plants can only be planted out in one season or similar. Except perhaps plump helmets, which are the ones that really need nerfing, which can be planted any time of year, but take about a season to grow.

Also, would it be possible to implement orchards? So growing trees and harvesting the fruit once each year, which increase in yield as they grow until they finally die? And then these 'orchards' could be farmed for logs as well.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (uber) Farming
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:47:59 am »

One detail: Given that "cultivating" an orchard means cutting and forming the tree regularly (unless you're an Elf, I guess ...), their wood isn't worth much for logs afterwards. Firewood, yes ...

Other than that, I like the idea.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:54:02 am »

I meant when the orchard wasn't going to be used anymore. Set the ravenous logger loose on it.

chopchopchopchopchop.

*apple tree beds* all round.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:57:05 am »

I meant it too. Orchard trees are kept low, squat and rather wrinkly on purpose - so it's easier to gather the fruits, among other things. As such, they aren't wood which you can cut logs from.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:21:39 am »

You can modify the plant_standard.txt raws to increase the growing time of plants and modify the seasons they can be planted in, as well as how much each plot might yield. Enjoy your self-imposed hardmode.

Planting trees is a bit harder, but it's on Toady's list to be added. It's just way lower than, say, healthcare and military bugs.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:17:49 am »

Improved Farming topic, #10 on the Eternal Suggestion Voting. (Keep in mind that the argument migrated, so don't just read the first couple of pages, and respond to those 30 pages down the line.)

There are... strong opinions on this topic regarding what should be implimented, but they generally run towards forcing a nutrient depletion/replinishment mechanic, irrigation system, crop diseases or pests.

Besides, plump helmets aren't what's broken, sweet pods and quarry bushes produce five times as much food, and are far more valuable, allowing you to produce those insane 20,000-60,000 DB meals that let you buy entire caravans for a single food item.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:35:42 am »

I still prefer hunting.

Much more Fun.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:59:59 am »

Funny, I never hunt - it's too random for me.  I prefer to just set traps, and domesticate livestock for slaughter.

Regardless, you'll find my manifesto on the subject of crops and orchards somewhere around page 24 of that Improved Farming thread, my views haven't changed really since then.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:46 am »

I'm not sure what's changed in .31...  But it seems like food in general has become very easy to acquire.

I just have a couple farms going, and I butcher the occasional animal, and I'm absolutely buried under food.  I don't have anyone hunting or fishing...  I'm not gathering any plants...  I haven't been buying any food from the caravans...  And I've got far more food than I can deal with.  All my stockpiles are full.  I'm running out of barrels.  It's madness!
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:26:33 am »

I know butchering returns have gotten ridiculous.  I'm not so sure about farming.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:15:27 pm »

I know butchering returns have gotten ridiculous.  I'm not so sure about farming.

Maybe that's it...  I didn't butcher much in 40d.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »

Farming hasn't changed much from 40d, it is instead butchering that has exploded in returns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:30:37 pm »

imo.

5x5 plots provide far too many plants far too quickly.
you should have to irrigate your plots every year or so instead of just once.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 12:45:40 pm »

The main issue I have with farming right now is that above ground I can plant anything, all year round, yet underground there appears to be seasons and limits what I can plant, despite the constant temperature and utter darkness. I'm all for making it more difficult to farm, especially underground, but this just seems counter-intuitive. Pretty sure I've seen this mentioned before though, and it's easily edited in the RAW's anyway.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 01:24:44 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to require dwarves to eat larger stacks? Currently a dwarf is full after eating 1 plump helmet. If they instead would eat, say 15 plump helmets a meal, things would become a lot harder.
Pages: [1] 2