Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3131 3132 [3133] 3134 3135 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701299 times)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: MOBA me? I MOBA you! Edition
« Reply #46980 on: November 28, 2014, 06:05:07 pm »

Some asshole is trying to convince me that I'm anti-semetic for liking some of the Cthulhu Mythos books. I'm Jewish. They're literally accusing me of being racist against myself. What the fuck.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46981 on: November 28, 2014, 06:07:15 pm »

Some asshole is trying to convince me that I'm anti-semetic for liking some of the Cthulhu Mythos books. I'm Jewish. They're literally accusing me of being racist against myself. What the fuck.

That sounds closer to a wtf than a rage, though definetly a combination.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46982 on: November 28, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »

Talk to you Prof/teacher/whatever privately, that's just 100% not right.

I think I've mentioned it before, but my teacher told the class that she did not want to hear about group conflicts. All group formations were final, with no-one backing out or joining in after they were created, and all conflicts are to be sorted out by the group. She said that any complaints about groups could be aired on our peer evaluation sheets at the end of each segment of the project.

The first sheet was for our report and was a chart where you would mark your partners between one-to-four on different criteria, with no space alloted for commenting. Based on that, I thought the second sheet for our presentations would be different. The only difference is that the markings we gave were now between one-to-five.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46983 on: November 28, 2014, 07:16:05 pm »

I just...

spent 2 or 3 hours

on fixing this.

Why the fuck can't things break in a way that makes some kind of sense? I apparently set a surface to be too small, so I wrote a few(thousand) pixels outside of the assigned area. Instead of crashing right then like something that makes sense, it instead crashes when I am converting an entirely different surface into a texture.

That's why you need bounds checking as a default methodology, then you don't get these sorts of error so much. Making a bounded value object is a good idea, then you can just instantiate that class any time you need a bounded value, and the code is only written once and doesn't clutter your program readability. you can then typdef it back to int for the production version, for extra speed (as long as you trust user input, still validate that separately if you're going to do this).

And it does make sense that it broke something that wasn't the object that was over-writing the memory. When you write outside the memory bounds of an object, it is natural to overwrite something else, so that other thing freaks out when you try and access it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:20:32 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46984 on: November 28, 2014, 07:21:34 pm »

Talk to you Prof/teacher/whatever privately, that's just 100% not right.

I think I've mentioned it before, but my teacher told the class that she did not want to hear about group conflicts. All group formations were final, with no-one backing out or joining in after they were created, and all conflicts are to be sorted out by the group. She said that any complaints about groups could be aired on our peer evaluation sheets at the end of each segment of the project.

The first sheet was for our report and was a chart where you would mark your partners between one-to-four on different criteria, with no space alloted for commenting. Based on that, I thought the second sheet for our presentations would be different. The only difference is that the markings we gave were now between one-to-five.

Sounds like a recipie for trouble if there's a major problem. And the fact that no space is allotted for commenting also sucks. Maybe talk to the dean of the section or something? Sounds like complete sabotage and who knows how many other groups have had problems that couldn't be voiced to the professor.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #46985 on: November 28, 2014, 08:04:14 pm »

And if that fails, take it up with the Ministry of Education or whatever the Canadianaian equivalent is. Serious problems right there.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46986 on: November 28, 2014, 08:07:24 pm »

... yeah, if that's the teacher's position, after what happened, it's probably time to say, "Okay, they're not doing their job, time to go over their head." I would say try talking to the teacher one more time, because, y'know, people deserve a chance and there's a difference between interpersonal conflict and something roughly equivalent to blackmail, but. Yeah.

Mind you, it was also probably time for a great deal of vulgarity and maybe a light assault charge when that piece of shit tried to bully and blackmail you into lying, but *shrugs* If the school's worth a damn, there's probably some sort of academic malfeasance whatsit they violated doing that.

... less violently, the actual appropriate response in that situation actually kinda' is "Fuck off and get the hell away from me." Try politely, at first, but after that comes the screaming and the f-bombs. Sometimes people do not get the point until the sexual practices of their ancestors are maligned.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46987 on: November 29, 2014, 03:25:43 am »

The notion that white people don't have culture just baffles me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #46988 on: November 29, 2014, 03:31:46 am »

The notion that white people don't have culture just baffles me.

Do people actually believe that, or are they just trolls?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #46989 on: November 29, 2014, 04:46:14 am »

I'm visiting with my grandparents for the holidays, and their security system's battery is low or something (they know about this after the first time). So, at god knows when in the morning:

BEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEP

And I don't know how to shut it off.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46990 on: November 29, 2014, 05:15:34 am »

The matreshka, why y u not work in DF?!
._.

blazing glory

« Reply #46991 on: November 29, 2014, 05:19:16 am »

I'm visiting with my grandparents for the holidays, and their security system's battery is low or something (they know about this after the first time). So, at god knows when in the morning:

BEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEPBEEPBEEEPBEEP

And I don't know how to shut it off.

Blunt heavy objects generally work.

Otherwise, can it be dismounted and can it have it's battery removed?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #46992 on: November 29, 2014, 10:15:32 am »

A five-minute Wikipedia diagnosis suggests I may have come down with carpal tunnel.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #46993 on: November 29, 2014, 10:19:23 am »

A five-minute Wikipedia diagnosis suggests I may have come down with carpal tunnel.

Hi thee to a doctor.

Working natural clay to a smooth, even consistency is ridiculously hard work. DF needs to simulate this properly so I can draft potters as wrestlers and see them pinch arms, pulping them.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46994 on: November 29, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »

It's basically two balls of stuff made out of the same material crashing into each other. There are no vitals there, except for the ball itself.

It's not overflowing, since the behavior keep the same even if I lower the velocity modifier to 1 (from default 1000).

If the ball itself is the vital part/tissue, then damage to it can be fatal. I'm not sure how the randomness of it is working, but if there's no damage accumulation beforehand, then any damage at all is proving fatal.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 3131 3132 [3133] 3134 3135 ... 3345