Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3035 3036 [3037] 3038 3039 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692380 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Take a deep breath Edition
« Reply #45540 on: November 01, 2014, 09:44:25 am »

Something tell me that our dependence on technology and adaptation on that will end up being our downfall.
The fun thing is that, some point in the far distant past, someone probably communicated that same idea in regards to pointed sticks. Pretty sure I actually recall more or less the same concept in relation to the written word, from stuff transmitted from grecian times.

... seriously though, we haven't particularly adapted in a biological sense to modern day technology. We've barely adapted at all during the entirety of written history. Technology has made our lives significantly easier, but it hasn't substantially impacted our natural tools much. Tech might end up killing us, but it won't be due to dependence issues. Least not anytime soon (soon being on a historic and/or geological time scale).

But yeah, being without kinda' sucks. Losing access to all that information and communication capability feels a lot like I've always thought losing a limb would feel like... massive reduction in capability. Sure, you can still get by, but everything becomes a lot more... clumsy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45541 on: November 01, 2014, 10:39:28 am »

Got roped into staying until closing yesterday. All for what amounts to about $16 minus taxes and a pie and a half of room-temperature mediocre-quality cheese pizza. Story of my fucking life.

Oh, but I did a double-check of my paycheck, and found that the pay is still enough for minimum survival, my boss took off 2.25 hours off of it. My assumption is that she took off pay for the 15 minute lunch breaks I've been taking. Lunch breaks, I might add, that I have not been taking voluntarily. I am told to go on break, I do not ask for one.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #45542 on: November 01, 2014, 11:03:41 am »

I started playing Christmas music at midnight on November 1 and my roommate and his girlfriend got mad and made me stop. Some people just don't understand.

To be fair, I would have had the same reaction. I'm already sick of christmas music, and it hasn't really started around here yet.
Christmas music shouldn't be played until December >_>

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #45543 on: November 01, 2014, 12:02:18 pm »

penguin, you're forgetting turkeymas music. You can't just skip over it!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45544 on: November 01, 2014, 12:07:18 pm »

Music should not be played at midnight, regardless of the kind, if your roommate can hear it well enough to care.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #45545 on: November 01, 2014, 12:08:25 pm »

Your roommate is a buster.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45546 on: November 01, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »

I started playing Christmas music at midnight on November 1 and my roommate and his girlfriend got mad and made me stop. Some people just don't understand.
To be fair, I would have had the same reaction. I'm already sick of christmas music, and it hasn't really started around here yet.
I was sick of this year's Christmas last year. Given that every year seems to have 3 times as much Christmas as it should.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45547 on: November 01, 2014, 12:14:19 pm »

We already did our Turkeymas up here, there's nothing between now and Christmas *puts on TransSiberian Orchestra*

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45548 on: November 01, 2014, 12:17:11 pm »

penguin, you're forgetting turkeymas music. You can't just skip over it!

The American public don't give two flips about the turkey day. It's straight from Halloween to Christmas in decorations
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #45549 on: November 01, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »

Thanksgiving is just the Christmas dinner practice round.

Music should not be played at midnight, regardless of the kind, if your roommate can hear it well enough to care.

My roommate would disagree, because he was fine with the music I changed it to.

I was sick of this year's Christmas last year. Given that every year seems to have 3 times as much Christmas as it should.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45550 on: November 01, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »

Something tell me that our dependence on technology and adaptation on that will end up being our downfall.
The fun thing is that, some point in the far distant past, someone probably communicated that same idea in regards to pointed sticks. Pretty sure I actually recall more or less the same concept in relation to the written word, from stuff transmitted from grecian times.

... seriously though, we haven't particularly adapted in a biological sense to modern day technology. We've barely adapted at all during the entirety of written history. Technology has made our lives significantly easier, but it hasn't substantially impacted our natural tools much. Tech might end up killing us, but it won't be due to dependence issues. Least not anytime soon (soon being on a historic and/or geological time scale).

But yeah, being without kinda' sucks. Losing access to all that information and communication capability feels a lot like I've always thought losing a limb would feel like... massive reduction in capability. Sure, you can still get by, but everything becomes a lot more... clumsy.

Once again you've taken the words from my mouth, Frumple. Furthermore, 'technology'? That's everything which humanity has created, from sharpened rocks & sticks and manmade fire to whatever we'll have achieved when we finally bite the big one. Of course civilization is dependent on technology to continue existing: we depend on the ability to cultivate food, to create clothing, to transport goods, to travel farther than our own legs can take us, &c. Without technology, human civilization cannot exist. Furthermore, there's not one point in human history where turning back the clock on technological development would have been the better option in the long run. Ferex, nuclear power: hundreds of thousands dead, half a century of incredibly paranoid life, but we're now past the real danger of extinction and we've got fission reactors to fall back on if we run out of fossil fuels before developing sustainable sources or efficient fusion to the point necessary to sustain us.

On a side note, on a biological level we haven't even really adapted to our earliest changes, much less modernity. That's conflating 'adaptation' in the lay sense of "I've adapted to the situation at my new job," with the biological sense of adaptation, "A change or the process of change by which an organism or species becomes better suited to its environment." Individuals adapt to technological changes which occur in their lifetimes (or not) on a psychological level; the species is still in the early stages of biological adaptation to relatively primitive technologies (for example, our bodies are still set up to be healthiest when we eat small amounts of food periodically over the course of a day, consistent with a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, as opposed to a few large meals, which would fit more with agricultural humans who both have a food surplus and can't spend as much time being idle).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45551 on: November 01, 2014, 01:12:42 pm »

"Hey, Cheese, the thermometer's broken! What's wrong with it?"
*I take one look at it*
"You switched it to Celcius."

Later...

"Hey Cheese, this chicken isn't getting a good temperature! What's wrong with it?"
*I look at it*
"Probably because it isn't cooked."

I swear to god, I don't know how these people passed high school.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45552 on: November 01, 2014, 01:18:05 pm »

Who's to say they did?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45553 on: November 01, 2014, 01:33:31 pm »

*I take one look at it*
Good. Keep it that way.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #45554 on: November 01, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

*I take one look at it*
Good. Keep it that way.
+1
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3035 3036 [3037] 3038 3039 ... 3345