Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2934 2935 [2936] 2937 2938 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698451 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: TPS Reports Edition
« Reply #44025 on: October 03, 2014, 05:44:43 pm »

Yes, and give a Youtuber TEN CENTS of pay. TEN CENTS which will forever be missing from their lives if you put on Adblock. You monster.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44026 on: October 03, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »

You, TOO, can deny people who make money of those ads their paychecks! :P
Nah, that's Youtube's doing.
I ain't denying anyone nowt.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44027 on: October 03, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »

Oh, I'm only giving them ten cents?

* Worldmaster27 re-enables ad-block on YouTube

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #44028 on: October 03, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »

Youtuber shouldn't count as a profession anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #44029 on: October 03, 2014, 05:48:23 pm »

It's a shame we can't white-list ads on individual channels that we like.

Someone really needs to make a Better YoutubeTM that is... well, less shit.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44030 on: October 03, 2014, 05:48:36 pm »

But saving like 10 seconds per video is worth preventing a random youtuber from being able to pay the rent and put food into the mouths of their family!
Sometimes upwards a minute or two, often bullshit political ads that get old after the first five seconds of the first one, only to be repeated entirely beyond the point of nausea.

Dunno about other folks, but it's not like I'm looking at the ads anyway. Cutting me out of the equation isn't getting the advertising folks any more money, and it's probably more fair to them (who represent a considerably larger number of paychecks than a single youtube goer) if they're only paying out an amount equal to the amount of people that might actually be interested in their product.

If you're not going to buy advertised products, you owe it to the advertising companies and the businesses they represent to turn on adblock, so they don't overpay.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44031 on: October 03, 2014, 05:49:54 pm »

There are reasons Adblock can permit ads on certain pages, although admittedly it would be hard on Youtube since you'd need to enable it for each individual video involving somebody who's actually making money. If you feel guilty you can check for a Patreon or something, and Youtube won't even take most of the cut!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44032 on: October 03, 2014, 05:51:30 pm »

This is the best thing about Bay12forum. We'll always have funding because the server bills also get paid by the donation money for Dwarf Fortress, so we'll never get Toady One badgering people to donate and keep the server running and ad-free.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44033 on: October 03, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »

Oh, I'm only giving them ten cents?

* Worldmaster27 re-enables ad-block on YouTube
1000 people say this, and then the youtube video creator is out $100. Saying that someone doesn't deserve ten cents for giving you entertainment is an idea with a certain amount of critical mass, and when everyone says it then it can become a problem.

But saving like 10 seconds per video is worth preventing a random youtuber from being able to pay the rent and put food into the mouths of their family!
Sometimes upwards a minute or two, often bullshit political ads that get old after the first five seconds of the first one, only to be repeated entirely beyond the point of nausea.

Dunno about other folks, but it's not like I'm looking at the ads anyway. Cutting me out of the equation isn't getting the advertising folks any more money, and it's probably more fair to them (who represent a considerably larger number of paychecks than a single youtube goer) if they're only paying out an amount equal to the amount of people that might actually be interested in their product.

If you're not going to buy advertised products, you owe it to the advertising companies and the businesses they represent to turn on adblock, so they don't overpay.

There is only an incentive for varied ads when there is a market worth marketing to. By shrinking that pool you are only continuing to create the situation you describe.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #44034 on: October 03, 2014, 05:53:53 pm »

This is the best thing about Bay12forum. We'll always have funding because the server bills also get paid by the donation money for Dwarf Fortress, so we'll never get Toady One badgering people to donate and keep the server running and ad-free.
Similarly, KoL's devs apparently need more cash, if the new donation ads are anything to go by.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44035 on: October 03, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »

If I want someone to have money, I'll donate. See: Toady One. I should really donate again. Kind of wish I still had access to that T-shirt press, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44036 on: October 03, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »

Youtuber shouldn't count as a profession anyway.
Taw, that's...

Kinda douchey to say, dude. It's an entirely legitimate job, nowadays. Usually gaming. But saying it shouldn't?

Bit mean. 'Twould be like someone walking into a gas station, where someone who is ENJOYING their job, and saying, 'You don't deserve to be paid for this.'
I dunno. Just...Doing something you enjoy and being paid for it should count as a profession. :P
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44037 on: October 03, 2014, 06:39:34 pm »

brb becoming a bank robber
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

You know what I meant. :/
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Well, bank robber is technically a profession. The issue, though, is that most banks are very rich, and don't take kindly to having their money stolen. And when rich people get upset, they bring ten thousand lawyers down on your butt.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 2934 2935 [2936] 2937 2938 ... 3345