Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2899 2900 [2901] 2902 2903 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690904 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today:Our "favorite" anniversary Edition
« Reply #43500 on: September 20, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My mom decided that she'd start forcing me off the computer thirty minutes before she makes me go to bed (another rage, considering my age, but for another time) and cited exactly two sources (and probably an assload of facebook paranoia) as "a lot of studies" that "prove" that using the computer before you go to bed is bad for your health.

And what did she suggest I do instead?

READ.

LIKE THAT'S NOT ROUGHLY EIGHTY PERCENT OF WHAT I DO ON THE COMPUTER ALREADY.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:(

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot the icing on the cake: she refuses to look up how many "studies" say otherwise.

So, basically, she's being both an impulsive control freak and an ignorant idiot! What a great set of traits for a parent.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:04:13 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today:Our "favorite" anniversary Edition
« Reply #43501 on: September 20, 2014, 06:13:33 pm »

She's referring to how computers, tablets and phones emit blue light which stimulates your brain and keeps you awake, resulting in insomnia. It's midnight and I'm on my laptop, so I'll say maybe she's not that mad :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43502 on: September 20, 2014, 06:15:17 pm »

To be fair, computer light is why I have trouble sleeping DX

I go to bed early when with my parents out of respect anyways, since they usually let me stay up as long as I want so long as I ask.

So maybe you could negotiate with her to be occasionally allowed to stay up at night if you follow her policy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43503 on: September 20, 2014, 06:25:06 pm »

Hands up here, I actually had that situation with my mom.
The situation didn't change much because we aren't really that big control freaks but it was eventually solved by mom putting a limiter on the internet after 9-10 or so, but by that time I'm normally pretty tired anyway and am only on the internet out of some sort of tradition.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43504 on: September 20, 2014, 06:30:31 pm »

Hm. I will say that half an hour is still kind of ridiculous, even then.

But still, her logic bugs the hell out of me.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #43505 on: September 20, 2014, 07:04:26 pm »

I'm angry about something but I think that is enough of an, objectively, insignificant thing, that it's not worth it. And I feel like an idiot for even writing so much about it here.

Because someone is probably gonna ask, TL;DR assholes gonna asshole.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43506 on: September 20, 2014, 07:05:04 pm »

Patrick Stewart may be the guy :P

Regardless... my rage.

Every time I've gotten sick in the past year or two, I've had post sickness terribleness. That sucks. It gives me headaches. I hate feeling terrible. Raeg.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43507 on: September 20, 2014, 07:08:45 pm »

Wait, you're angry because a politician gave money to a charity?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43508 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:44 pm »

There's a widgit you can get for your computer that starts adjusting the colour output of your monitor away from blue as you get close to bed. Not sure what it's called though, my friend uses it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43509 on: September 20, 2014, 07:13:16 pm »

Obama has only himself to blame for being Obama

Thanks, Obama
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43510 on: September 20, 2014, 07:30:34 pm »

She's referring to how computers, tablets and phones emit blue light which stimulates your brain and keeps you awake, resulting in insomnia.
Not... really resulting in insomnia. It does, supposedly, make it harder to sleep for (as per Taw's mom) about a half hour, iirc, but it's not really any better at keeping you awake than any other stimulating activity, so far as I'm aware. 'Bout as easy to power through the night reading a particularly gripping book or watching TV (Well, listening to a TV for 8 hours straight would personally just make me want to kill people, but... eh.) as it is mucking about on the computer.

And it's not just computers. It's books, TV, activity in general... basically anything. There's a period after mental stimulation during which it's harder to sleep (Surprise! That's a secret to freaking no one.). Harder doesn't mean impossible, and it varies by person (those fuckers that can just conk out, may they burn in hell for all eternity after I rip their means of doing so from their brains, are what they are. The bastards.), and I'm fairly sure you can acclimate to it after a while (I go to sleep easier after using a computer than I did a decade ago, ferex. Not saying much 'cause it's still 30+ min on the average goddamn regardless but whatever.), but... yeah.

Though when it comes right down to it it's a half bloody hour. That's not much missed sleep, if it's any missed sleep at all. Just go to sleep a bit earlier if you got stuff to do in the morning.

E: All that said, I've never actually used f.lux before. This... this is nice.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:34:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #43511 on: September 20, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »

Off topic, but I love your name, Caroline :3
So I've been browsing back and-
Oh...oh goodness. Yes.
Caroline~ ♥

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43512 on: September 20, 2014, 07:40:56 pm »

UGH! MY FRIEND IS SUCH A JERK!!!

So we were supposed to do something on Friday but as usual he never EVER plans ahead always chosing to do things on the fly so the plans were cancelled (which is typical for him, because he is a flake)... So he is like "we will do things on Saturday" and I was fine with that, it may work better in fact.

So Saturday he calls and is like "yeah... about that... Instead you are coming to one of my friend's houses with 5 other of my friends, none of whom you know... ohh and we may or may not be doing drugs, ohh can you pick me up too?" (Note: I don't like large gatherings OR drugs... and he knows this)... I say no... because why would I want to...

And then he calls me and needs a ride somewhere he says is within 5 minutes (I knew he was exaggerating how little time it would take) but he gives a specific location and I am vaguely aware of where it is. So I go to pick him up, take a wrong turn and take like an extra 2 minutes he phones me while I am driving and barates me for how long it is taking... He comes in... and
-Puts his feet on the dashboard and door... and this is a nice clean car...
-Screams loudly, puts the music on loudly while I am driving and tell him to stop
-Criticizes my driving constantly
-PUTS HIS HAND ON THE WHEEL AND TURNS IT WHILE I AM DRIVING!
-Criticizes what I am wearing...
-Banged and hit the car, pretended to break the mirror
-Was being really unpleasant IN GENERAL by being EXTRA perv...
-Some stuff that ANNOYS THE HECK OUT OF ME that I cannot say...

Ohh and that location? Yeah we weren't going there... I was actually picking up him and his friends for them to do stuff... for WAY longer then he said it would take... and the ONLY reason I was able to leave early (though later then it would have taken)... was because one of his friends agreed to drive him...

I said "You owe me" and he was like "Ok, I'll buy you a pizza tomorrow" ohh wait NO HE ISN'T!!!

AHHHHH!!!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43513 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:35 pm »

That does not sound like a friend.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43514 on: September 20, 2014, 07:45:21 pm »

That sounds like someone mugged you and forced you to drive him as a get-away car. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 2899 2900 [2901] 2902 2903 ... 3345