Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2723 2724 [2725] 2726 2727 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695266 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Ach, mah sweetbreads! Edition
« Reply #40860 on: August 04, 2014, 09:54:42 am »

This should be in the sad thread but bleh, continuity ._.

I'll never know my bloodline.
I think a lot of people won't, with how hard it is to find decent records on such things unless you're lucky enough to have ancestors who took care to keep track of such things. :( Sympathies. I know there's a decent amount of knowledge on my father's side of the family (some relatives dug up a bunch of info for a family reunion a few years back) but I'm not sure about my mother's side... there's some information, but I don't know how far back that goes.
I've only heard relatively recent stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Ach, mah sweetbreads! Edition
« Reply #40861 on: August 04, 2014, 09:56:36 am »

My current rage is that now that my hair looks curly, a little old lady locked her car when I passed. great

I think a lot of people won't, with how hard it is to find decent records on such things unless you're lucky enough to have ancestors who took care to keep track of such things. :( Sympathies. I know there's a decent amount of knowledge on my father's side of the family (some relatives dug up a bunch of info for a family reunion a few years back) but I'm not sure about my mother's side... there's some information, but I don't know how far back that goes.
I've only heard relatively recent stuff.

In my family, it's mostly oral tradition, not documentation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #40862 on: August 04, 2014, 09:57:02 am »

Doesn't matter, you define you, not your ancestors.

They tend to be jerks anyway.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #40863 on: August 04, 2014, 09:59:33 am »

As I said, we can go back to early 18 hundreds. In my history I am even connected to the surname "Drinkmilk" but anyway :P

We're still finding more, through family records (Our house has a lot of history) and through lots of internet research. It's very interesting. Nearly all my roots come from Suffolk, with a few tendrils creeping into French Huguenots.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40864 on: August 04, 2014, 10:00:49 am »

My current rage is that now that my hair looks curly, a little old lady locked her car when I passed. great
...What? ???

I'd disagree, there. Knowing one's ancestry can be a powerful thing. Even just what little I know about a handful of my (mostly batshit crazy) ancestors is fascinating... I'd love to know more, especially all the gory details.

As I said, we can go back to early 18 hundreds. In my history I am even connected to the surname "Drinkmilk" but anyway :P

We're still finding more, through family records (Our house has a lot of history) and through lots of internet research. It's very interesting. Nearly all my roots come from Suffolk, with a few tendrils creeping into French Huguenots.
Lucky bastard, having a family who actually kept track of their history. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40865 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:04 am »

I don't think my ancestors would be very significant.
One of my great-grandfathers was a salesman of something, that's the only significant thing I know other than that another great-grandfather hid in the attic of a barn during WW2 :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #40866 on: August 04, 2014, 10:03:56 am »

My linage disappears into the mishmash and horror of Maoist China, so yeah, same boat
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40867 on: August 04, 2014, 10:04:34 am »

I'm...
* SomeStupidGuy counts on his fingers.
Irish, English, German, French... Definitely forgetting something here...
But yeah, I am a mutt.

Indeed. It's nice to know where you came from, but at the end of the day, it's not worth getting too worked up over.

You damned curly-haired people, nothing but thieves and muggers... :v
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40868 on: August 04, 2014, 10:05:44 am »

Apparently the world thinks I'm part Black (which is why they keep on making the weird comments about Spanish or French ancestry and swarthiness and pestering me about what I am even after I make it clear that I don't want to talk about it--because they want to know if at some point my bloodline mixed). So yeah! There you go.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40869 on: August 04, 2014, 10:07:17 am »

My family disappears into obscurity in every direction.

Slaves from Africa one way, Eastern Europeans who didn't care to record themselves another, and a complicated mess of inbreeding in another.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #40870 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:31 am »

I know XD

Family history can be hilarious. There's an oak tree planted near our house hundreds of years old, and planted by my ancestors. Came from some relatives in another area of the country, so it's connected to an even older tree. But years ago, a relative used it as a perch to escape a herd of angry cows :P

Then there was my great-great-great grandfather Alexander who rode a pig down our lane (Which is long and steep) and at the bottom is a road. Once he hit the road, the pig ran into the hedge on the other side and left him behind XD

Also, just asked my dad. Apparently we know back into the mid 17 hundreds, so further back than I thought. And that's just in this house.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #40871 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:58 am »

Mmph :v Even though.
My bloodline would've weathered through 2 wars in the last century at least. Looking at my grandparents, it makes quite the epic story.
...Err, sans the death march and war crimes committed during then by the 'winners'. But yeah. Bloodlines and relatives. :S

Wherein 99% of the people I know and knew aren't dem jerks. :P

[...]

[...]
Indeed. It's nice to know where you came from, but at the end of the day, it's not worth getting too worked up over.
You don't know my pain.
But yeah, I agree. T'would be hard to explain in this format considering all I've done in that matter but yeah.
Yeah...

Apparently the world thinks I'm part Black (which is why they keep on making the weird comments about Spanish or French ancestry and swarthiness and pestering me about what I am even after I make it clear that I don't want to talk about it--because they want to know if at some point my bloodline mixed). So yeah! There you go.
O__o
Strange comments those must be...

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40872 on: August 04, 2014, 10:10:08 am »

Er...
* SomeStupidGuy steps into the photo-thread to inspect Vector's pic.
That's... interesting.
Reminds me of one time in the irc when Descan claimed I looked... oh what was it. Either asian or native american(Maybe both?).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40873 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:44 am »

There's also questions about like "Oh, is your hair ... natural?"

YES ASSHOLES IT IS. MY HAIR IS CURLY AND THAT IS HOW IT GROWS OUT OF MY HEAD. STOP FUSSING.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40874 on: August 04, 2014, 10:12:46 am »

People care far too much about that sorta thing...
Pages: 1 ... 2723 2724 [2725] 2726 2727 ... 3345