Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1912 1913 [1914] 1915 1916 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691968 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Song of Sigs Edition
« Reply #28695 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:14 pm »

I'm beginning to think that I could set up a club on campus dedicated to just breaking things. Y'know how folks will sometimes bring therapy dogs or whatever for stress relief? It'd be like that, except you get a bunch of cheap glassware, broken computer towers, or maybe a scrap car, and you just beat the crap out of things to vent all that pent-up anger and aggression. Destruction committee, y'know?
The idea is quite cool, the only problem is that contrary to pop-psychology letting out your anger makes you more susceptible to raging in the future.
It makes you feel better at the time though.
Which causes positive reinforcement, making you more likely to get angry and hit something. When you're angry, you don't tend to think straight. That something could become someone.
I am not the type of person who cares all too much about future-me. He can go and die of something or other so long as I get what I want now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28696 on: October 22, 2013, 08:36:49 pm »

Man, we are just getting really judgmental of perspectives in the emotion threads lately. I mean, I get where most of those posts are coming from. It doesn't usually start out as an attempt to convince the subject that their ideas are wrong, and is more of just a reaction because that's what you're thinking. But, still, I think we might need to scale it back? I hate to be making so many, "Hey, maybe this isn't a thing we should be talking about" posts lately, but eh. Just something to think on. I might just be mistaking the intent and quantity, in which case it's my bad, not anybody else's.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28697 on: October 22, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »

I am not the type of person who cares all too much about future-me. He can go and die of something or other so long as I get what I want now.
You will think past you is the biggest asshole in the world once he starts screwing you over.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #28698 on: October 22, 2013, 11:40:38 pm »

I'm joining the rest in saying that this...is potentially not a good idea to follow because you can't live your life meaningfully based on only the present without looking where you're stepping.

What you want now will probably not be what you want or need in the future, or would help at all in the long run, just to say ahead.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28699 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:47 am »

You will think past you is the biggest asshole in the world once he starts screwing you over.

Current me doesn't get off easy! Why should I suffer the arrows and slings of past me while future me gets off easy? Hell no. Pay it forward, I say.

;)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28700 on: October 23, 2013, 10:27:45 am »

Current me doesn't get off easy!

*cough* PHRASING. Into the OOCQ thread it goes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28701 on: October 23, 2013, 06:48:28 pm »

FUCKING KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM. FUCKING MUN LANDING FUCK SAKE FUCKING DARKNESS GOD FUCKING DAMMIT FUCK SHITFUCKERGODDAMN.

I managed to touch down, and bounced. And slowed, and... Ran out of fuel. And bounced again. Once more... Then tumbled. Rolled, was fine. Rolled again, everything exploded. FUCK SAKE, YOU CAN'T EVEN GIVE ME A FUCKING KERBAL AND HIS CAN ON THE SURFACE?! I JUST WANT A SINGLE GUY TO FUCKING LAND THERE, GODDAMNIT.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #28702 on: October 23, 2013, 08:25:43 pm »

FUCKING KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM. FUCKING MUN LANDING FUCK SAKE FUCKING DARKNESS GOD FUCKING DAMMIT FUCK SHITFUCKERGODDAMN.

I managed to touch down, and bounced. And slowed, and... Ran out of fuel. And bounced again. Once more... Then tumbled. Rolled, was fine. Rolled again, everything exploded. FUCK SAKE, YOU CAN'T EVEN GIVE ME A FUCKING KERBAL AND HIS CAN ON THE SURFACE?! I JUST WANT A SINGLE GUY TO FUCKING LAND THERE, GODDAMNIT.

If you didn't care about his can, you could've landed the kerbal safely on his EVA rockets. Heck, you can deorbit into Kerbin and land safely with those things, and nothing else (no parachutes, no regular rocket, just the kerbal and his EVA rockets).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28703 on: October 23, 2013, 08:42:24 pm »

It's just frustrating because I KNOW I can land on Mun. I basically DID, but ran out of fuel just a half second too soon. Very frustrating.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28704 on: October 23, 2013, 09:00:12 pm »

Basic idea is a three-stage launcher. Stage one gets you into space and possibly orbit, stage two should stabilize your orbit and get you to transit to the Mun, and stage three should be your lander and return craft. If you fall behind in that, return to vehicle assembly and modify.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28705 on: October 23, 2013, 09:07:41 pm »

>.> I have 'nine' stages. But the first five of them are to get me out of orbit. Then next one is the orbit stabilizer. The remaining are the lander/return craft. I have two stages for parachutes. My design is somewhat overengineered, but it works pretty well. I can get to, and probably land on, Mun, but the problem is the landing part, because I keep either misjudging distance, not being able to see because lights are off, or running out of fuel at the last second.
He's fucking with us.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #28706 on: October 23, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

Yeah, well worse is trying to build a space station (orbital fuel depot, really), and finding out how flimsy the standard-size docking ports are. I had to deorbit the whole mess, which was a few hours of work (and the designs were rendered useless by that flaw). From geosynchronous orbit (hard enough to get, but good for station-building - you always launch to the same location if you can keep the orbit steady at the precise altitude). With RCS thrusters.

Also, all of my Munar landers have followed the Apollo design - an orbiter with a separate lander. Very satisfying when I pulled it off.

>.> I have 'nine' stages. But the first five of them are to get me out of orbit. Then next one is the orbit stabilizer. The remaining are the lander/return craft. I have two stages for parachutes. My design is somewhat overengineered, but it works pretty well. I can get to, and probably land on, Mun, but the problem is the landing part, because I keep either misjudging distance, not being able to see because lights are off, or running out of fuel at the last second.

... I would be interested in seeing this rocket of yours if it has 5 surface-to-orbit burn stages. Or does that number include extra stages, such as for decoupling?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:23:24 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28707 on: October 23, 2013, 09:26:34 pm »

By "stages" I mean a more nebulous idea. An asparagus system is actually made of like, 10 stages. But it's all "one" stage, and then you might transition into the transit stage, a nuclear engine, and a lander stage that might have a base you keep on the moon a la Apollo and a pod you launch back home, which would be at least two stages. And you might dock back with the transit stage to get back home! So it's all very nebulous.

Just keep in your mind while your designing, what each part is FOR. And if you start using the next "stage"'s fuel up in the previous stage, you probably need to do a redesign, or at least a tweak.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28708 on: October 23, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »

... I would be interested in seeing this rocket of yours if it has 5 surface-to-orbit burn stages. Or does that number include extra stages, such as for decoupling?

There is an initial big booster than I'm thinking of scrapping. Four of them, attached to the next stage, which is four small boosters attached to the center rocket body. Two stages there. The rocket body is the third. Higher up on the rocket is another set of four small boosters, and then another set higher up still. These four sets of boosters get me out into orbit, and the center rocket (Which is in three parts, large engine to get into orbit, 50 engine to get into STABLE orbit aimed at the moon, another 50 engine to land/take off.) gets me to where I need to go. It still needs some refinement. I need a BIT more fuel for the final stage, but then I'd have to completely redesign the booster stages, as they just perfectly get me into orbit now, with no room for error.

Oh, I forgot. I have a set of six Sepratrons on the lander stage that are INTENDED to be used in emergencies to get one nice burn, or to possibly get me into orbit off the moon perhaps. Still purely experimental, as I haven't gotten that far yet. I doubt they provide enough thrust to get me any real benefit anywhere but orbit, but I want to find out.
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28709 on: October 23, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »

Stick another stage in the middle.
Pages: 1 ... 1912 1913 [1914] 1915 1916 ... 3345