Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1911 1912 [1913] 1914 1915 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691570 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Song of Sigs Edition
« Reply #28680 on: October 22, 2013, 02:33:26 am »

Oh hai 3ds Max. I just noticed there's something wrong with this UV map.
What?
Most of it's missing.
Really? Oh wait, it's still there. I didn't like how it looked so I shoved it all into the top-left corner and made it super small.
Well scaling doesn't seem to be doing anything. Normalising normally works for this kind of thing.
*click*
See!
I'll just relax it until some semblance of shape emerges.
Now it's shaped like a dolphin!
You fixed nothing!

This is so cute...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28681 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:16 am »

Oh hai 3ds Max. I just noticed there's something wrong with this UV map.
What?
Most of it's missing.
Really? Oh wait, it's still there. I didn't like how it looked so I shoved it all into the top-left corner and made it super small.
Well scaling doesn't seem to be doing anything. Normalising normally works for this kind of thing.
*click*
See!
I'll just relax it until some semblance of shape emerges.
Now it's shaped like a dolphin!
You fixed nothing!

This is so cute...

I had the picture of this being some Zero Punctuation thing...

Dunno why.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28682 on: October 22, 2013, 11:58:30 am »

If you're really not going to use the textbooks (that is to say, no homework assignments drawn from them, etc), then I would highly recommend not actually buying them. This worked beautifully for me in university, when I bought something like 1 textbook each semester after the first. Although, in retrospect, I should've bought more, if only because it's taken me this long to realize they have worth outside of class. If you like the subject enough, you might want to get the books for recreational use.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28683 on: October 22, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »

I admit there are times where I yearn for free online university textbooks. Education for all!

Then I'll sit on a porch yelling at people for taking my job. Thanks, competition.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28684 on: October 22, 2013, 12:40:20 pm »

I admit there are times where I yearn for free online university textbooks. Education for all!

Then I'll sit on a porch yelling at people for taking my job. Thanks, competition.

There are already free online courses. Even if there were free online textbooks, it wouldn't be education for all, it would be education for everyone sufficiently motivated and having reliably stable internet access.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28685 on: October 22, 2013, 12:45:12 pm »

It's when they bundle a useless textbook with a web access code to a website that you submit assignments to that bugs me. The music theory book, I could understand the expenditure. Still don't want to pay for it.

I'm beginning to think that I could set up a club on campus dedicated to just breaking things. Y'know how folks will sometimes bring therapy dogs or whatever for stress relief? It'd be like that, except you get a bunch of cheap glassware, broken computer towers, or maybe a scrap car, and you just beat the crap out of things to vent all that pent-up anger and aggression. Destruction committee, y'know?

You can find quite a bit of music theory online, if you need. You can also look on the intarrnet.

The idea is quite cool, the only problem is that contrary to pop-psychology letting out your anger makes you more susceptible to raging in the future.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28686 on: October 22, 2013, 12:48:09 pm »

I'm beginning to think that I could set up a club on campus dedicated to just breaking things. Y'know how folks will sometimes bring therapy dogs or whatever for stress relief? It'd be like that, except you get a bunch of cheap glassware, broken computer towers, or maybe a scrap car, and you just beat the crap out of things to vent all that pent-up anger and aggression. Destruction committee, y'know?
The idea is quite cool, the only problem is that contrary to pop-psychology letting out your anger makes you more susceptible to raging in the future.
It makes you feel better at the time though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28687 on: October 22, 2013, 01:01:27 pm »

That might not be entirely infeasible, actually. From what I understand there's the occasional martial arts group that will hire out to demolition companies (or something along those lines) to take apart (part of) a building with their bare hands. There's no doubt something similar for, I'unno, recycling initiatives or whatev'. There's a market for destruction, really. Not entirely sure how large it is or how open to dilettantes, but it's there.

... though, uh. From what I remember of my psych classes they've mostly found that catharsis doesn't actually work. Sometimes a short term mood improvement, but no meaningful effect on longer term.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28688 on: October 22, 2013, 02:36:48 pm »

Liability would probably be an issue, with all the broken glass and shrapnel.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28689 on: October 22, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »

It makes you feel better at the time though.
Which causes positive reinforcement, making you more likely to get angry and hit something. When you're angry, you don't tend to think straight. That something could become someone.

Yup, that's exactly the idea. I've always been trying to keep it under the lid. It isn't easy, but neither is doing something I might regret.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28690 on: October 22, 2013, 03:55:52 pm »

A better catharsis is to blow shit up in Kerbal Space Program.

A) You have to hold it in, learning how to do that.

B) You have to build something to blow it up.

C) You get to go to the spehs!

D) No one important gets hurt!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28691 on: October 22, 2013, 04:02:09 pm »

Or martial arts or boxing. Punch people in the face without getting in trouble for it!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28692 on: October 22, 2013, 04:21:55 pm »

Or martial arts or boxing. Punch people in the face without getting in trouble for it!

The problems start when you're the one getting punched in the face - not only you're pissed off, but you also got hit in the face. Nah.

If anything, a punching bag would work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28693 on: October 22, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »

So on the news was a story about how two guys were assaulted, illegally, by the police and fought back injuring both of them and how they were acquitted.

This actually aggravates me but not for what is obvious.

It isn't that the police were acting outside their bounds legally (that will happen), it isn't that I don't believe those two guys...

It is that they actually called the police that these cops were acting illegally and threatening them (in fact it is one of the reasons they won their case) and the dispatcher didn't do anything. THAT is freeken scary. If a police officer attacks you, that is scary... but the fact that you cannot call the police to get some police aid... is even more scary.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28694 on: October 22, 2013, 05:35:45 pm »

People say repression is bad, but I'm actually pretty sure there was a study that said people who repressed stuff coped better than people who moaned to people a lot.

There's probably caveat city in there, but in general I think the chain of who's better at coping goes like: People who repress stuff to the point of genuinely not thinking about it > People who share their traumatic experiences > Those who cannot fully repress their trauma and don't share it with anyone.
Pages: 1 ... 1911 1912 [1913] 1914 1915 ... 3345