Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1717 1718 [1719] 1720 1721 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691689 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Tech FU Edition
« Reply #25770 on: July 22, 2013, 06:16:05 pm »

Then learn to cast an even MORE critical eye and instead attempt to spot the things that are done remarkably well. Pacing, framing, hit beats and conveying information without dialogue. There are plenty of examples in the original trilogy. There are some good characters, there are some subtle but powerful scenes, the plot is ultimately basic (intentionally so) but the cinematography is really good overall. Were there flaws? Sure! But there's a lot that's actually good.

The prequels just... don't have anything.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Star Bores Edition
« Reply #25771 on: July 22, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »

My sceptical eye usually teams up with my overly logical thinking which kills off the plot of movies and just makes watching movies where the story just pulls facts out of it's ass almost impossible without forcing me to stay for the end.

There are movies that i am just waiting for them to end probably because im not in the mood of watching that particular movie but mostly because they're not my type of movies.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25772 on: July 22, 2013, 06:53:06 pm »

I suppose it's just my love of scale talking. The original trilogy, despite everything good about them, felt very small and character-centric. Sure, that's probably what made them good to an extent, but there were so many hints at stuff happening outside the main plot line that I was frustrated throughout the series for not exploring them. I wanted to know more about the setting, not the characters. Funny thing is, I've watched several movies (ie Looper) where this exact thing happened that should have made me pine for moar detail, but I didn't. Probably because it was set in one primary location while SW was literally around the galaxy and I couldn't get my mind off that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25773 on: July 22, 2013, 07:01:36 pm »

Jar Jar Binks is the best character in all of Star Wars.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25775 on: July 22, 2013, 07:09:35 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:02:06 am by Toady One »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25776 on: July 22, 2013, 07:12:13 pm »

I can't imagine how much they payed to the pot head they found under the bridge for selling all of his honor and giving up everything that makes him human just to put up the jarjar costume and act like a fag on camera.
brainfreez how did we even manage with you gone.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25777 on: July 22, 2013, 07:12:51 pm »

I suppose it's just my love of scale talking. The original trilogy, despite everything good about them, felt very small and character-centric. Sure, that's probably what made them good to an extent, but there were so many hints at stuff happening outside the main plot line that I was frustrated throughout the series for not exploring them. I wanted to know more about the setting, not the characters. Funny thing is, I've watched several movies (ie Looper) where this exact thing happened that should have made me pine for moar detail, but I didn't. Probably because it was set in one primary location while SW was literally around the galaxy and I couldn't get my mind off that.

That's pretty much a big difference between modern sci-fi and ye olden sci-fi of yesteryear two decades ago. Older movies were often more character focused, as much because of the budget and available special effects as anything else. I think that tended to make them better actors because they were still the focus of the scene and they knew it. Actors who are in front of a green screen for large swathes of the movie lose some of that. They're also reacting to things that often aren't there too, which can make many things seem awkward until CGI swoops in to edit them. They are, in a sense, sidecast along the CGI presentation that is trying to express the world building you want, and I think the acting is often weaker for it.

I can't imagine how much they payed to the pot head they found under the bridge for selling all of his honor and giving up everything that makes him human just to put up the jarjar costume and act like a fag on camera.
brainfreez how did we even manage with you gone.

Shall we find out?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25778 on: July 22, 2013, 07:23:38 pm »

Ahmed Best is actually a pretty cool guy. He plays aliens and isn't afraid of anything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25779 on: July 22, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »

Honestly I didn't think JarJar was that bad. He was just given more screen time then he really should have.

I mean C-3PO is basically the same kind of deal... an intentionally annoying character made for comic appeal.

Yet they didn't jam him in every scene (except in the third movie).

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25780 on: July 22, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »

Also I'm pretty sure Jar-Jar never expressed any sexuality at all, let alone one towards his own gender.

... Do Jarheads even have gender?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25782 on: July 22, 2013, 08:17:49 pm »

... maybe, maybe not. They do kinda' look froggy. Might be patterned offa' one of those species that does the whole mass-of-eggs thing. Don't even remember if the pair involved there even see each other.

Or was that fish? Eh. Point being that sex differentiation doesn't necessarily imply sexual attraction. There's other methods! Maybe the male Gungans have an egg fetish instead. And suddenly bald humans become very attractive to certain subsets of the Gungan population.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25783 on: July 22, 2013, 09:04:10 pm »

Uhm, most any sexually differentiated creature chooses their mates. Even the mass-of-eggs types.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25784 on: July 22, 2013, 09:07:29 pm »

... bah. Space is different now! So sayeth improbable biology! You'll take your uncaring egg humpers and like it!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1717 1718 [1719] 1720 1721 ... 3345