Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1658 1659 [1660] 1661 1662 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692002 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Go To Bed Edition
« Reply #24885 on: June 24, 2013, 06:24:10 am »

Wow, I just lost a lot of faith in humanity. Armikrog, a potentially very good game, is getting boycotted because of the developer's opinions on gay marriage.
I hope this gets funded. I reall, really do.
Free market m8
If the consumers don't like it, they can take their money elsewhere.
Yeah, it just pisses me off mightily.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24886 on: June 24, 2013, 07:18:00 am »

Wow, I just lost a lot of faith in humanity. Armikrog, a potentially very good game, is getting boycotted because of the developer's opinions on gay marriage.
Free market m8
What's wrong with this is that people seem to base their enjoyment of this game on the developer's personal values, instead of actually game-related things. It's a really stupid move too, in that (1) the developer won't start accepting homosexuals any more (in fact, they've given him a reason to really hate them right now), and (2) they just ruined their chances (and many other people's chances) of playing that game (which is still a great game in their opinion).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24887 on: June 24, 2013, 07:21:24 am »

It's like they completely forgot there's this thing called piracy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24888 on: June 24, 2013, 07:23:02 am »

It's like they completely forgot there's this thing called piracy.
The game is on Kickstarter, if it won't get funded, it won't even be there to be pirated.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24889 on: June 24, 2013, 09:58:32 am »

Maybe it'll continue to get funded by angry homophobics.

Won't that be nice.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24890 on: June 24, 2013, 10:24:35 am »

I've come to see that gaming public at large is very concerned about social issues as they relate to video games and video games culture. There's the usual Conservative/Dem Monoculture/Counterculture divides.

For example, I just learned about dickwolves. Holy shit. I don't know even know what to think about it. I'm not sure I want to even really open my mouth on the subject. Basically, you can't be anybody in gaming without everything you say becoming political. Just like with everything else in life.

Which is why it would behoove people to think before they speak, and ask themselves if they're prepared for what their beliefs are going to open them up to.

Personally though, I think if you feel strong enough state your opinions about anything else but your games, you've earned whatever media backlash/boost you get. You don't get luxury of having beliefs and throwing them out there, then being insulated against the reaction. It doesn't work like that, not in the age we live in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24891 on: June 24, 2013, 10:27:17 am »

Free market m8
What's wrong with this is that people seem to base their enjoyment of this game on the developer's personal values, instead of actually game-related things. It's a really stupid move too, in that (1) the developer won't start accepting homosexuals any more (in fact, they've given him a reason to really hate them right now), and (2) they just ruined their chances (and many other people's chances) of playing that game (which is still a great game in their opinion).
Its not about enjoying a game based on the creators beleifs. It is making a statement about unacceptable behavior. And homophobia is unacceptable and immoral.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24892 on: June 24, 2013, 10:29:15 am »

Doing some further reading, meh. The guy has lost my respect (lbgt views aside) by going the "persecuted religion/censored beliefs" route.

You know what makes me rage? People that lack the courage of their convictions.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:42:23 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24893 on: June 24, 2013, 10:32:26 am »

Even if I wasn't a vegetarian I wouldn't eat at Chik-fil-a due to the owner's views.

Granted it's not a perfect analogy since the Chik-fil-a guy actively donates to homophobic causes and thus causes a ridiculous amount of damage (far more than that game developer could do by simply being a bigot), but hey. 
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24894 on: June 24, 2013, 10:46:27 am »

Doing some further reading, meh. The guy has lost my respect (lbgt views aside) by going the "persecuted religion/censored beliefs" route.

You know what makes me rage? People that lack the courage of your convictions.

Christianity is hardly a persecuted faith outside of countries controlled by the more conservative brands of Islam. They are just lashing out against those who refuse to allow the continued persecution by whatever happens to be the local dominant religion.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24895 on: June 24, 2013, 11:54:20 am »

Free market m8
Its not about enjoying a game based on the creators beleifs. It is making a statement about unacceptable behavior. And homophobia is unacceptable and immoral.
And homophobic people say that homosexuality is unacceptable and immoral, yet we don't suddenly become homophobes. Do you see the problem here?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24896 on: June 24, 2013, 11:57:52 am »

Actually, no. They have a right to say that and boycott what they want, too.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24897 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:13 pm »

They have a right to say that and boycott what they want, too.
I know, but my point is that he won't change just because people tell him to, just as we don't change because he tells us to. That boycott just hurt everyone.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24898 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:06 pm »

My religion has unfortunately used boycotts and protests to deny other people the chance for awesome things in the past, things that go beyond merely fun things into the realms of things that are of great importance. Turnabout is fair play.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24899 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:54 pm »

They have a right to say that and boycott what they want, too.
I know, but my point is that he won't change just because people tell him to, just as we don't change because he tells us to. That boycott just hurt everyone.

It does? It's not like this guy is going to cure cancer if only we can get over his beliefs. He's making a game.
Pages: 1 ... 1658 1659 [1660] 1661 1662 ... 3345