Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705328 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

...But what if [PERSON] wants to have sex with you? No arresting or punching!

In all seriousness, being able to control yourself is generally seen as a good thing.
This happens whenever I see a person of the opposite gender, apart from family. Even friends I've known for several years aren't exempt. It honestly feels like I'm soiling them by thinking of them that way. *wanders off muttering*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I'm going to hang out in my room and make some beautiful things for a few weeks, which is good because it's the end of the semester and I apparently need to craft three essays and a final exam anyway.

;_;

I wish I even understood why this all feels so very not-okay.  I want to go home and tidy everything up and do chores for my mom.

Suddenly I remember and realize why I went into math.  I felt like this a lot less often when I was doing serious mathematics.

For me, I don't really like it because the following:

Mine is:
Hormones: "Hey Vector, that person's attractive."
Me: "What are you talking about, they're all attractive."
Hormones: "No, pay attention to that one."
Me: ". . . I'm not doing that unless you give me some logic or some very poorly thought out but passionate emotional basis that momentarily seems sensible, just like all the other systems have to deal with in order to get clearance to escape fantasy and turn into action.  Papers, please?"
Hormones: "Signed and dated by your libido."
Me: "Who's that?  Looks official... okay, I'll pay attention."
Math/systematizing part of my brain: "BUT WHAT ABOUT ME YOU SAID I WAS YOUR FAVORITE DON'T YOU WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE?!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile

n all seriousness, being able to control yourself is generally seen as a good thing.
oh do you mean Like Mahatma Gandhi?
From the wiki.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now that's what i call control.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For me, I don't really like it because the following:

Mine is:
Hormones: "Hey Catsup, that person's attractive."
Me: "Look away, don't look directly at her, stop coming off as a perverted creep"

In all seriousness, being able to control yourself is generally seen as a good thing.
depends on what type of relationship youre looking for.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

One thing I noticed in the second video:
*lady is told to look at evidence for humanity evolving from one species to another - Homo Erectus, etc - at the Smithsonian*
*lady claims she has seen (the fossils) and then claims that there's no 'physical evidence'*
That emotionless... Blank, smile... How is that possible?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

*Cautionary reminder to not judge religious people by the loudest fools amongst them all.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright I recently got really angry about this,
It was regarding a private school which forced few of its students who belong to other faiths to attend their religious ceremony.(I'm trying my best not the name any religion but you all get the point). No doubt some parents protested but the principal said they can leave the school if they wanted to.
Here's what made me rage about it:
-Ok it's a PRIVATE school, any religious private school has a right to do that and it's the parents fault in sending them there. I'm aware of that.
-But how about this way, from where I come from our public schools are terrible.(there is no better word for that) In cities almost everyone makes their children attend private schools. Now these private schools have been started by missionaries long time back and are known for their educational institutes. A normal parent has no choice but get their child admitted in schools like these, if they want their child to get quality education. They simply have no choice, and thats the current trend over here.
-Mind you, NOT all these schools do this, they usually let the children of other faiths to have their own choice regarding these matters.
That's why this one made me really pissed off, since I myself I've been educated in one, and it made me really ashamed.
What are your thoughts on this, I'm hope I don't start a heated discussion I just want to hear a few opinions that's all.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

It sucks, but it's a private school, they can teach what they want to teach.  Whether the public schools are garbage or not.

Hell, my friend went to a private school that not only forced people of other faiths to attend a religious education class, they required the students to pay extra for the honor.  It could be tested out of at least I guess, as long as you know the religion inside and out.

Any chance of some community outcry at this putting somebody who wants better public schools in power?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:49:08 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

*Cautionary reminder to not judge religious people by the loudest fools amongst them all.
If that's directed at me, I'm not assuming they're all like that. That's the message she gave me.
*Cautionary reminder to not assume any statement is ever directed personally at one's self.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Is Religious Education not part of the curriculum in the US?

AFAIK here in the UK every school, regardless of who it's run by, has to teach certain subjects to some degree; and Religious Education is among those.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any chance of some community outcry at this putting somebody who wants better public schools in power?
I doubt, its been going on for years. Maybe after many many years, my place will finally show some signs of developing. I mean over here, if you say that you studied in a public school, people will assume your in poverty or something (since our public schools have neglegible fees under the Right to Education act which makes their quality even worse it seems)

Ok thanks for your opinions better wind up this. or else.
If that's directed at me, I'm not assuming they're all like that. That's the message she gave me.
*Cautionary reminder to not assume any statement is ever directed personally at one's self.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I would actually be in favor of religious education in public schools, if it could be implemented so as not to favor any one religion.  Teach it from a historical/anthropological perspective, and cover all the major religions.  We don't have anything like that in the U.S.  We just have Christian fundamentalists trying to get indoctrinating material into schools in any way they can.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

AFAIK here in the UK every school, regardless of who it's run by, has to teach certain subjects to some degree; and Religious Education is among those.

Nope.  Think it's related to that freedom of religion bit.  Public schools can't talk about religion.  I wouldn't mind a >factual< class or two, just to spread understanding, but chances are they would just focus on a couple religions and piss people off.

Even the pledge of allegiance to the flag is controversial.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance  About half of that page is about the religious stuff, and people suing schools over two words in the pledge.

(EDIT: For context for you non US forumers, when I was going to grade school, every school day started with the reciting of the pledge of allegiance.  Don't know if they still do.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:05:45 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I hurt my arms moving furniture yesterday. Is there a cure for sore tendons? My legs were hurting too, but now they're not. I've got some built legs, compared to my sissy arms.

Unless [PERSON] < 18.

Nope.  Think it's related to that freedom of religion bit.  Public schools can't talk about religion.  I wouldn't mind a >factual< class or two, just to spread understanding, but chances are they would just focus on a couple religions and piss people off.

Even the pledge of allegiance to the flag is controversial.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance  About half of that page is about the religious stuff, and people suing schools over two words in the pledge.

(EDIT: For context for you non US forumers, when I was going to grade school, every school day started with the reciting of the pledge of allegiance.  Don't know if they still do.)
Religions might be mentioned in a history class, and I sure wouldn't complain if there were, because, you know, history is kinda important. As for the Pledge of Allegiance, it's because the line "under God" which gets people ticked, which implies forcing children into Christianity(which is slightly technically wrong, as it implies Judiasm and Islam, being essentially the same God).

I don't know if it's still required. I think towards the time I graduated high school, nobody really gave a shit enough to care whether we did it or not.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 ... 3345