Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694961 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #16365 on: October 08, 2012, 10:14:06 pm »

What are you trying to say?

I thought you were asking for an alternative definition of healthcare. You weren't exactly clear.

As for what you're doing it's....life? I don't know what definition you need for it. But if you think you're living "free" because you ride the bus, have solar panels and gather wood from around your home.....well, let's just say I'd disagree.

And then you admit that you can't think of any use for the word within this new definition you constructed!

I honestly can't. What lives or exists without taking a measure of something from something else? What exists without sacrificing something or paying something to make it possible? What lives or exists that is beholden to no strictures and no rules?

The word is there and it has a purpose, it's an imperfect substitute for a nice thought. I don't know if the concept of the word really matches reality to me anymore though. I suppose if I was living in a terrible place and got the chance to live elsewhere, free would be more meaningful to me. But I feel like we're always surrounded by the cost of living, and while some costs suck less than others and some costs bring things we want....we're never really free of any of it. Until we're dead. And then who knows, maybe it's like Wraith and people's souls are made into coin in the spirit world. Wouldn't that suck. :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:21:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16366 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:53 pm »

As for what you're doing it's....life? I don't know what definition you need for it. But if you think you're living "free" because you ride the bus, have solar panels and gather wood from around your home.....well, let's just say I'd disagree.
I don't... how did... what!?!? I just can't...
How do you
argh

No. Stop. Stop reading what you want to read, and read what I write. Seriously, stop... ugh.

Just stop bullshitting. Please. You cannot be this stupid. I know you are not this stupid. You're not even talking about the same fucking AREA of conversation at this point. This is so unbelievably frustrating. Your abuse of not only the english language but basic conversational structure is doing physical pain to me right now. If you honestly don't understand something, try to get clarification - do not just make something up that has nothing to do with what your describing and, in addition, nothing to do with the conversation at all!

So I will try to make this as clear and unambiguous.

I have a monthly bus pass that grants me unlimited riding rights. How much do I have to pay for a bus ride downtown?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:25:47 pm by GlyphGryph »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16367 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »

Well gee, thanks for only half-calling me stupid. Throughout all this, I've respected you enough not to resort to that. I'd appreciate the same or you can just leave off the conversation, thanks.

I have a monthly bus pass that grants me unlimited riding rights. How much do I have to pay for a bus ride downtown?

Is it a city or a privately-owned bus? I'd guess city. If it is city, it comes out of your local taxes. The exact cost to you? I'm not good enough at math to BS that one, nor do either of us have enough information. But if I were to ball park it? Probably $5 to $10 a year for the privilege.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:30:56 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16368 on: October 08, 2012, 10:30:36 pm »

Personal scale, cost of the monthy pass divided by the number of times you ride that month*. Larger scale(s, there's multiple ones you can consider) gets fuzzier and the cost gets diluted, but would include considerations such as road and vehicle maintenance, gas, etc., so forth, so on. You'd get personal cost in that by considering what you put into society (taxes, work, etc.) or the company running the bus (the pass fee), and how that gets distributed around and how much of a percentage your own contribution counts for. It'd be a lot fuzzier and involve a lot more legwork to get even an approximate answer.

If it was a universal bus pass or something (i.e. supported by taxes), personal cost would involve seeing how much of your taxes get redistributed into the public transport system. It'd be really bloody small once all was said and done, but existent.

*E: To be more explicit here, you've already paid for the ride, and that was the cost of the unlimited pass. The cost of that particular ride would actually go down if you rode more, but it'd still be there. Just paid up front, so to speak.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:33:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16369 on: October 08, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »

On the other hand, I pay taxes here to support the city bus system, AND I pay to ride. Either $1.25 a ride or a monthly/yearly pass costing $30 or more.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16370 on: October 08, 2012, 10:32:08 pm »

This has been less the rage thread and more the 'confusing semantics argument' thread this last page or so.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16371 on: October 08, 2012, 10:34:19 pm »

Eh, "How much does X cost" is actually a pretty interesting question, usually. It can be go neat places when you start to track it down.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16372 on: October 08, 2012, 10:35:32 pm »

This has been less the rage thread and more the 'confusing semantics argument' thread this last page or so.

Otherwise known as most threads where an argument takes place.

I'm entitled to at least one self-derail per year in my own thread.

Eh, "How much does X cost" is actually a pretty interesting question, usually. It can be go neat places when you start to track it down.

Like I said above, this exact question rattles around my head a lot of days when I'm looking at stuff. Not just how much does it cost me but....how much does shit actually cost.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16373 on: October 08, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »

True on both posts, but I have no idea what you're talking about anymore, the most I can get out of it is 'Free is never a thing and isn't a thing and no.' I'll see if it makes more sense when its not almost midnight though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16374 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »

(5x ninja!)
Nenjin. I did not call you an idiot. I called you an asshole, since your last post makes it 100% clear you're mangling my words on purpose as an excuse to say whatever half-related thing you want to say. You've been insulting me for the last several posts, so don't get upset because I called you on it, dick.

Frumple, thanks for at least providing a response. I was beginning to think it was I that had gone crazy and I was spouting gibberish, but at least someone understood me. :P I don't agree, per se - I think there's a couple factors that are context dependent for the purposes of the conversation that might be worth getting into. It's certainly possible to conceptualize it that way, but then you get into weird situations where possible future actions retroactively reduce the price paid for previous actions - and I'm not sure that's a useful model to use for these transactions.

However, none of this really belongs in the rage thread anyway, so I'll leave it at that unless you want to continue talking about it elsewhere.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16375 on: October 08, 2012, 10:41:58 pm »

Wow. Whatever I did, it didn't warrant that. Did you want to end this with me reporting you? Disagree with me all you want, I believe I've kept it civil and my track record holds that up. The only thing stopping me from reporting it is the fact you're around here plenty and have been for a while. Let's just drop it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16376 on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:55 pm »

Nenjin has been perfectly on topic, he hasn't mangled anything.
The problem seems to be that you are having some bizarre problem where you can't understand what nenjin is saying, neither what it means or how it corresponds to what you are saying/asking.

He hasn't been as clear as frumple just was, but he has been plenty clear enough to easily understand.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16377 on: October 08, 2012, 11:23:30 pm »

You know what made me rage today?

FREE

This word made me rage today.

Because I just had to read through two pages of people arguing because they have a different definition of the word.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16378 on: October 08, 2012, 11:24:16 pm »

The fact that this thread has devolved into arguing over semantics makes me RAGE.

Also my eternally-noisy neighbors.

Ninja:

You know what made me rage today?

FREE

This word made me rage today.

Because I just had to read through two pages of people arguing because they have a different definition of the word.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16379 on: October 08, 2012, 11:41:51 pm »

So long as they place my splattered internal organs back in my body, patch up the bullet/stab/burn wounds and re-attach my head before hitting me with the bill, 'scool. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 1090 1091 [1092] 1093 1094 ... 3345