Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702635 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Pouring so much water into a holed jar it just gives up and fills.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Doesn't that fill everything except the jar with water until the everything else gets filled and the jar has no choice but to be filled?

Actually that describes dwarves perfectly.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

my dongle (that wireless thingy that I do not know the actual name of that connects the computer to the router) suffered an accidental impact from a foot, and is now flipping out, connecting and disconnecting me at random.

seems to be fairly stable right now, but slow.
It be a adapter, crack it open and check if the usb pins are disconnected from the board.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

An interesting update on the Facebook stock; came across this article on MarketWatch:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/facebooks-stock-should-trade-for-1380-2012-05-25?link=MW_popular
It is titled "Facebook's stock should trade for $13.80." It essentially analyzes the valuations for Facebook as a company, and comes to the conclusion that it's IPO price of $40 a share was about 3 times what it should have been.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

An interesting update on the Facebook stock; came across this article on MarketWatch:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/facebooks-stock-should-trade-for-1380-2012-05-25?link=MW_popular
It is titled "Facebook's stock should trade for $13.80." It essentially analyzes the valuations for Facebook as a company, and comes to the conclusion that it's IPO price of $40 a share was about 3 times what it should have been.
No shit. My rough estimate was that it was at least twice as expensive as it should have been.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

my dongle (that wireless thingy that I do not know the actual name of that connects the computer to the router) suffered an accidental impact from a foot, and is now flipping out, connecting and disconnecting me at random.

seems to be fairly stable right now, but slow.
It be a adapter, crack it open and check if the usb pins are disconnected from the board.
it fits into the USB thingy fine, and I can't see any problems with it.
this is what i see in tech support everyday when they don't listen.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok thats fine, that was my next course for you anyways these things are really cheap online just remember the value.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok thats fine, that was my next course for you anyways these things are really cheap online just remember the value.
I don't even need a particularly good one, so long as it's reliable, because our internet never gets above 1 Mb/s, despite the fact we should be getting 4 Mb/s
is that the quoted speed?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't even need a particularly good one, so long as it's reliable, because our internet never gets above 1 Mb/s, despite the fact we should be getting 4 Mb/s
is that the quoted speed?
well, we'd be going faster if we had fibre optic, can't get that here, and we've called the company several times about not getting the speed we should, and all it's resulted in is 'it should be fixed now!' and about 1.5 Mb/s for a few hours.
yea all they did was reset the old ass SM sitting outside your house. Works for a while till it fills up again from the aging equipment.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

oh, FFS! steam, let me fucking use offline mode!

although, does me having a cloud next to some games indicate that it uses the cloud servers (or whatever they are called) which is why I can't use steam offline? if so, can someone tell me how to fix that damned thing?

It's kinda stupid... you have to put steam in offline mode while you're still online, and then it won't care what happens to your internets afterward... so long as you don't shut down Steam and have to log in again.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It makes it useless if you suddenly find yourself without internet and want to play a steam game. And that is most craptastic part.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

You just have to be online to log in and set Steam to offline.  It's not a thing that allows you to launch Steam when your internet is down.  It's a thing that allows you to lose internet after you have already enabled it while still online.

I used it for a while to play Civ 4 when I was tucked away in a nice corner at work.  I'd log into Steam with my tablet at home, set it to offline mode, and then leave it running throughout the day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And the ONLY reason I ever want to use offline mode is if I suddenly find myself unable to play games that require you to be online but I can't be. It is a broken feature. If they gave two shits about their customers they would set up a rsa token/telephone/text service you could use to provide a challenge/response to activate offline mode without needing an internet connection.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

But... you can start in offline mode if it can't connect. I've done it, dozens of times when the internet connection here was fucking up early semester one.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But... you can start in offline mode if it can't connect. I've done it, dozens of times when the internet connection here was fucking up early semester one.

You can? I can't.

Is your service OFF or just inconsistent when you go to offline mode?

Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 3345