Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701924 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Well, shit. Apparently I got a call from work a bit ago, and the phone answered itself? It showed a call in progress when I flipped it open to answer a text message notification it gave. The only explanation I can think of is that the vibration from the text triggered the answer button, but whatever the case, whoever tried to call me is probably pissed at me for answering the phone and not speaking. You can't call in without knowing the extension of who you're trying to reach, so I'm probably boned.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Hm, i got to the village by complaining alot and whining.
Also got to grab a neat quality sword along the road.
You're probably looking for the shock n awe village, right?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Just had a user who was so retarded it made me lose faith in the universe. Simple procedure: put in your password, click on Log On. The instructions are even on the screen. I was remoted to the desktop, so I could watch him.

First question: "How do I do that?"
"Do what?"
"Enter my password."
"....you type it in the field there. The one that says Password:"
"Oh."

He then proceeds to click on a different button altogether, so I have to cancel and restart the process. "Oh...so I should type my password and not do anything."
"No, you type your password and click Log On."

User enters password and tries clicking on the words "Log On" in the instructional text.
"NO...click on the *button*."

User proceeds to try clicking on the drawing of a button in the upper corner.
RedKing proceeds to facepalm (hard enough that it was audible on the phone) and silently curse whatever deity gave the spark of life to this person.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

RedKing proceeds to facepalm (hard enough that it was audible on the phone) and silently curse whatever deity gave the spark of life to this person.
I'm throwing logs on the screen but nothing is happening

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I think he means... palm tree logs for the facepalm? Something like that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Just had a user who was so retarded it made me lose faith in the universe. Simple procedure: put in your password, click on Log On. The instructions are even on the screen. I was remoted to the desktop, so I could watch him.

First question: "How do I do that?"
"Do what?"
"Enter my password."
"....you type it in the field there. The one that says Password:"
"Oh."

He then proceeds to click on a different button altogether, so I have to cancel and restart the process. "Oh...so I should type my password and not do anything."
"No, you type your password and click Log On."

User enters password and tries clicking on the words "Log On" in the instructional text.
"NO...click on the *button*."

User proceeds to try clicking on the drawing of a button in the upper corner.

You wouldn't think it's that hard to explain to a new user what the "address bar" of a web browser is, but fuck me if I didn't spend ten minutes trying to figure out why nothing was happening for one client who was entering the URL into the search bar.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

(i.e. I shall find you and I shall ensure you never see day again.)
I shall be waiting. You will face the wrath of my many tubs of fish, among other things.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You wouldn't think it's that hard to explain to a new user what the "address bar" of a web browser is, but fuck me if I didn't spend ten minutes trying to figure out why nothing was happening for one client who was entering the URL into the search bar.

People typing one into the other is why many modern browsers have completely removed the difference between the two.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

People typing one into the other is why many modern browsers have completely removed the difference between the two.

If humans can't distinguish between the left side of their screen and the right, we don't have much hope for the species. (I even said TOP LEFT probably 4 to 5 times.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

And I hate them for it. If I mean to search I will search. If I mean to type a url in I expect it to go where I want or return a 404 error. 192.168.1.2 is not something I want to google damn it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

192.168.1.1 doesn't come up in google, at least in Firefox 4. The address bar is still smart enough to tell the difference between an address and a query to throw at google. THe search bar is not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And if its not, if you lead with http:// you should by fine. Since that always resolve to a web address.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

80% certain I'm about to be targeted by the office gossip/drama/politics brigade.  I've been reading Kick-Ass 2 at work today (and my rates more than tripled since I started reading it to stop myself from spacing out), and their leader took very conspicuous notice as he walked by and I happened to be holding up my tablet at that moment. 

He comes back a couple minutes later and grins down at me, "So is that the newest and greatest... uhh... oh, it's an Acer?"

"Yeah.  An Acer Iconia."

"Ooooohhhh very cool!"  And his smug face widens as he returns to his desk...

Translation:  "Yeah, I saw you.  You know I'll enjoy this.  You going to do anything about it?"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

80% certain I'm about to be targeted by the office gossip/drama/politics brigade.  I've been reading Kick-Ass 2 at work today (and my rates more than tripled since I started reading it to stop myself from spacing out), and their leader took very conspicuous notice as he walked by and I happened to be holding up my tablet at that moment. 

He comes back a couple minutes later and grins down at me, "So is that the newest and greatest... uhh... oh, it's an Acer?"

"Yeah.  An Acer Iconia."

"Ooooohhhh very cool!"  And his smug face widens as he returns to his desk...

Translation:  "Yeah, I saw you.  You know I'll enjoy this.  You going to do anything about it?"
"Yep"
*grabs ipad and takes two shots with .45*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

The funny thing is, my manager knows I do this.  I'm very up front about everything I do at work.  She understands why I do it.  She doesn't have a problem with it.  Now this guy is going to get all his friends to file a complaint with him, and it's going to be presented to me as an issue of "You're distracting other people in the office."  I'm going to tell her "Bullshit.  I know exactly who complained, and you know they're just getting personal satisfaction from this."

And she'll acknowledge that and agree, and it won't change a damn thing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 3345