Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692348 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8625 on: January 31, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »

What the fuck is going on.
Does the company say that they can restore installed programs after the system restore?  Usually it's only data, because restoring programs off of a backup onto a system restored drive is difficult, and prone to failure even if everything goes right because they put things into registry as well.  It can be done pretty reliably with ghosting, but if they are telling you to back up your stuff they probably aren't ghosting(because ghosting already does that), and ghosting might carry over your problem as well.

If you keep having trouble packing it all in you might just wanna grab things like save game files and things like DF that don't need an installer.  And any hard to get installers you have.

The programs themselves probably won't make it intact even if you copied them perfectly unless they are using some trick I don't know of.  If you grab your save files though you'll still have those after you reinstall the program.  There's a reason system restore is a last ditch attempt.

(Pretty much if you open up add remove programs in the computer's control panel and you see a game or program listed there, it's not going to make it and will need to be reinstalled)

P.S. And of couse it depends on how far back they are going on the restore.  System restore often means 'back to factory' when I hear people mention it in the business and that's what this post has been assuming.   If it's what windows calls a system restore you'll just lose everything that was installed after an arbitrary date, but usually data (not programs) makes it through that without needing a hard backup.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:49:32 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: January 31, 2012, 03:27:55 pm »

To induce rage, follow these simple steps:

1. Procrastinate
2. Work on procrastinated n-page-long project, All-nighter.
3. Send in finished project for evaluation in the nick of time.
4. Find out several hours after deadline that the source material is not the paper copy handed out during lecture, but the identically named electronic document with identical content sans one page at the end containing half of the fucking source material necessary to fully complete the assignment and save one from having to spend hours looking up facts, extrapolating and guesstimating various details needed to fill in the missing content.
Ouch.  I hate it when I procrastinate too, but it's like it automatically happens instead of me automatically getting my paper done >.>
I bet you went on a rampage.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: January 31, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »

This was technically a while ago, but it still makes me ANGRY!!!!!!!

Got fully new computer, monitor, speakers, etc.

Speakers throw up static whenever an airplane goes by.
This happens often.
NO WAY TO TURN OFF SHORT OF UNPLUGGING - RAGE

Edit: before you ask, I have no idea why an airplane would cause this much interference with the speakers.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: January 31, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »

Edit: before you ask, I have no idea why an airplane would cause this much interference with the speakers.

Satellites are beaming down low frequency subliminal messages to your speakers, and the plane going over head blocks the signal.

:o
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8629 on: January 31, 2012, 04:56:55 pm »

Speakers are a very simple, untuned radio.

On a similar note, once lived next to a guy with an illegal CB radio tower. You could hear him talking over every speaker in the house. It came over the telephone, over the tv, over the radio. You could even wear an unplugged pair of headphones and hear him speak if the room was quite  enough.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:14 pm »

On a similar note, once lived next to a guy with an illegal CB radio tower. You could hear him talking over every speaker in the house. It came over the telephone, over the tv, over the radio. You could even wear an unplugged pair of headphones and hear him speak if the room was quite  enough.
Thats awesome, really annoying, but awesome.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: January 31, 2012, 05:11:21 pm »

School vending machines.  It's like gambling.  Put in one dollar and the item doesn't get released completely.

Then it's a gamble, put in another dollar and hope you get two, or put in another dollar and at least get something, but still waste a dollar.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: January 31, 2012, 05:34:50 pm »

Also, audio cables are basically giant antennae, and they will pick up signals coming from other wires / the air / general radiation.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: January 31, 2012, 06:04:52 pm »

All i hear from the Call lady behind me with some customer.
senior, senior, senior, senior, senior
Bout two seconds away from making her explode in pieces >:I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: January 31, 2012, 06:34:13 pm »

I have been debugging for 4 hours now.  I would not be at all surprised if I were debugging for another 4.

Then I will be done, but man, this shit sucks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: January 31, 2012, 06:34:46 pm »

All i hear from the Call lady behind me with some customer.
senior, senior, senior, senior, senior
Bout two seconds away from making her explode in pieces >:I
Overtime, overtime, overtime, overtime, overtime...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: January 31, 2012, 08:12:15 pm »

I have been debugging for 4 hours now.  I would not be at all surprised if I were debugging for another 4.

Then I will be done, but man, this shit sucks.

Had some fun with that myself today.

I forgot that allocating a huge array on the stack can cause problems.  GDB was giving me fits because stuff wasn't in the right place on the stack... values were getting clobbered... Valgrind crapped itself trying to explain what was going on.

Move it to the heap, all better.

Wasted an hour there.  >:(  Not nearly as bad as some of the crap I've debugged for my research though...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: January 31, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »

Rather minor rage, but someone has DDoSed the CS:S jailbreak server I play on twice in the past 24 hours.  >:(

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8638 on: January 31, 2012, 10:07:49 pm »

I once wrote my own version of a Kademila (eMule p2p protocol) client; while fiddling with it, I made it respond to every search request with the IP:Port of a CS server that booted me for 'wallhacking' when I was simply wearing good headphones and listening for footsteps.

Dunno how successful of a DoS attack that was.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: January 31, 2012, 10:30:49 pm »

That is really sad (the fact that you were banned for that, I mean). Either the admin was a complete idiot, or they were one of the many, many admins that are childish and abuse their powers. Oh, and that brings up another part of CS that makes me rage: servers that sell mod powers for donations. I recall being banned from a zmod server because I was using dualies in a spot where the only entrance was a crouch, and I had a bookcase blocking the bottom, so I could basically just spam M1 and occasionally flick down for a second to move the bookcase back into place. Some dumbass mod died a couple times to that, and banned me for 'aimbotting' because I kept my crosshair on the spot where his head was going to be.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 3345