Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690277 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To some.

What was I supposed to do when the guy started posting huge rape jokes, huh?  Laugh it off?

I don't feel like getting in a fight with you, but man, there are some things I just don't feel like sitting back and watching.  I didn't report him.  I took all of two posts to discuss why I'd really prefer that he didn't joke about rape, and then it was over with.  No hard feelings, everyone getting along, and all that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:33:28 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

What was I supposed to do when the guy started posting huge rape jokes, huh?  Laugh it off?

That's what I did when I was raped many years ago, but I guess one has to be a women to have anything to say?

I don't feel like getting in a fight with you, but man, there are some things I just don't feel like sitting back and watching.  I didn't report him.  I took all of two posts to discuss why I'd really prefer that he didn't joke about rape, and then it was over with.  No hard feelings, everyone getting along, and all that.
I'm merely voicing that we're fundementally not agreeing, and that the forums reaction to such a harmless picture really bothered me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I'm not going to argue with you, however let me do it anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

System down at work for maintenance, gonna take longer than expected. No ETA.

Person calls in, asks about system. "It's down at the moment, no ETA."

"Oh, okay. Do you know when it will be back up?"

"....As I just said, we have no current ETA."

"Oh."

ENGLISH, motherfucker! Do you speak it??  >:(
(Granted, it technically should be ETR not ETA. But most people think they know what ETA means.)

EDIT: GAAAAAH....2nd person just did the same damn thing! <chrisrock>Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?!!?</chrisrock>
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:47:16 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Went to bed at 7am after being awake for 16 hours, and I end up waking up only 4 hours later. Fuck.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

Went to bed at 7am after being awake for 16 hours, and I end up waking up only 4 hours later. Fuck.

Meh. Try only getting a few hours sleep after being up for 36 and a half caffeine-fueled hours, then complain. (Actually happened to me before. Wasn't fun.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's what I did when I was raped many years ago, but I guess one has to be a women to have anything to say?

I am really fucking tired of people presuming I'm acting out of misandry or bad faith.

Would you just quit it?  If I do something wrong, it's not because all men bad all women good or something like that.  It's because I am doing the very best I can to make things right, and when I know people do have PTSD triggered from stuff like that, I do what I can.  I'm not some sort of ultimate moralizing force.  I'm a human, who is often wrong, and really just trying to find the right thing and do that.

I'll also add that the joke was specifically geared towards women.  That was the continuation of a misogynist joke that happened to have the element of rape.

So yeah, I think that's not something I'd really assume: "the guy was someone who had been raped and was dealing with the pain by the only method possible: joking about date-raping women in a public space which contained precisely one (1) woman, who had already expressed her discomfort."

I'm merely voicing that we're fundementally not agreeing, and that the forums reaction to such a harmless picture really bothered me.

You know, I didn't get upset because anything that abuses women = fundamentally bad.  I felt attacked.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

Can we agree to disagree, or discuss this as adults in PM's instead of spamming this thread? I am really not interested in a public and heated discussion, to the point that I almost regret voicing my opinion.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Meh. Try only getting a few hours sleep after being up for 36 and a half caffeine-fueled hours, then complain. (Actually happened to me before. Wasn't fun.)
I'm impressed.  I didn't even know people were able to do that!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can we agree to disagree, or discuss this as adults in PM's instead of spamming this thread? I am really not interested in a public and heated discussion, to the point that I almost regret voicing my opinion.

Go for it.

For the record, I wasn't trying to silence you.  You obviously have a right to try to make light of something that happened to you.  But I don't think it's necessary to make those jokes, totally unprompted, at the expense of other people's wellbeing, targeting them.  That's just not cool.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Before I was a parent, I was a champion of sleep deprivation.

One very fucked up, emotionally turmoiled week (at age 16), I went 3 straight nights without sleep, followed by one night with about 3 hours of troubled sleep, followed by 3 more nights without sleep.  Barely ate, too.  I was still pretty lucid.  I used to stay up for two nights in a row fairly often without too much trouble.  This is probably why I'm like 3-6 inches shorter than I should be.

After eight years of college (four while parenting and two of those while my wife was also a student), pulling just one all-nighter is a massive effort for me.  It's really depressing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

Tried to help my cousin with his grade 9 summer school math summative. He didn't know shit about any of it, and didn't want to show his work. Bloody idiot.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile

Why has noone created a General Discussion thread where you talk about ANYTHING?
FUCK i need a place to praise Bay12!
TEMPORARY DERAIL TIME!
Bay12, I understand fucking NOTHING you say... And I goddamn love it!
RERAILED.
...I just created the shortest derail in history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

I'm slightly proud and mostly ashamed to say that it's not uncommon for me to do this. Big long book? Fuck sleep, crack out a few cans of tesco energy drinks and sit near the heater.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

Hell, that 36 1/2 hour stint was on one Ice Capp from Tim Hortons. The key is to get the caffeine just before you crash.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 3345