Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691327 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread - Healthcare Edition
« Reply #4860 on: July 13, 2011, 07:19:40 am »

If you want to revive old names, you get the fans and the expectations with it. Completely ignoring them and the entire previous canon for a group of gamers that doesn't care about XCOM and already has its favorite FPSes to play is not how good revivals work. If 2k wanted people to be less scathing of it, they should just drop the XCOM title, because while it doesn't look horrible on its own, as a XCOM game it is crap. This post sums up your reason.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:45 am »

I'm disappointed in the new X-COM because I can really see how they could have taken this concept in a good direction: The Life of a single X-COM solider.

You're an expendable fool sent off to fight monsters from beyond the veil of human comprehension with nearly useless weapons and no idea what you're getting yourself into. It could have expanded upon the subtle Lovecraftian feel that exists in X-COM but never really gets to you, as you're just commanding the ground troops.

But instead we get a branch of the FBI re-named X-COM. Still, the Geometric Things are interesting, but I don't think that will save the game.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: July 13, 2011, 02:34:40 pm »

Dear UC Berkeley "Operation Excellence" people:

I fucking hate you right now.  You are trying to manipulate me into purchasing school-based health insurance.  You are doing it badly, and obviously, and all you're succeeding at is really pissing me off.  I hate you for using stupid psychological techniques on me.  I hate you for thinking you'll succeed.  I hate you for making my life harder.  I hate you for making this damn thing opt-out rather than opt-in, and I hate you for trying to scare me into giving the school $800 more.  I hate you for making the form three times longer than necessary and behind walls of "explanatory text" on how good the school coverage is, so that then you can ask questions to make us compare our coverage and the school-offered stuff.  I know very well you don't actually need that information.

Forget it.  You didn't get me.  You'll never get me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: July 13, 2011, 03:00:02 pm »

I have to admit, NCSU's health insurance beat the crap out of my personal coverage when I was there. Same benefits, for like a third of the rate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: July 13, 2011, 03:05:54 pm »

I have to admit, NCSU's health insurance beat the crap out of my personal coverage when I was there. Same benefits, for like a third of the rate.

I'm covered under my father's workplace, plus I'm in good enough condition nowadays that the only help I'd need would likely be psychiatric; not going off to the nearby city for that, but also not opting in to the tune of $820 for it.  I figger I can take care of it myself, for all the help those bastards were last time.  I.e. none.  "Hurr durr why don't you come in for the five free sessions and we'll tell you you're autistic (no doy, but the important thing was that it locked me out of the proffered social skills group for being "too disabled") and that you need to come in twice a week for the next Long Time to help you with the serious psychological ailments you theoretically have but which we can't understand."

That, and I really hate being manipulated like that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: July 13, 2011, 04:09:27 pm »

Fuck my job. I just had to spend close to an hour and a half pulling shards and splinters of fiberglass out of my hands and arms, and I ended up having to soak my hands in really strong smelling paint primer, as it was the only thing on hand that would take the tiny little bits that I couldn't see when I flaked it off after it dried.  So now I'm typing (for who knows what reason -- oh yeah, because I need to bitch about this  :D) with dozens of tiny little cuts and scratches on my fingers.

*facedesk*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: July 13, 2011, 05:15:19 pm »

Remember how I said the other day how the rough day didn't affect me? Now it came back with double force.

All day, I'm taking shit from people for no reason, most of all from my manager. We've got this one guy who, for the past three weeks, has only come in at most three days, including today, and one of the first things he did today was make a plate of fried chicken. And the manager starts chewing me out for not being given something to do(which he's supposed to give me something to do). At one point, I'm pulling a whole skid of sour cream out of the fridge, and it starts sliding against the ground. He starts yelling at me to lift it higher. I'm trying to push the thing to a stop so I can lift it, and either it's too heavy to stop that fast or he's pushing it into me. Then he tells me to move it a few inches to the side. I start to do so, and he immediately yanks the handle of the jack away from me in the opposite direction, almost jacknifing it as he spins it around.

I also found out more reliable information about the operations manager who was fired a few weeks ago. Apparently, the boss did make some offensive comments about gay marriage on Facebook, something that was probably very offensive towards Geico, one of our larger benefactors, and I guess she removed it or something. Part of what really pisses me off about that was that he made very little mention of it, especially to the "volunteer" workers, most of whom(including me) had her as a contact with the Department of Labor(who fucking really would have needed to know if she was fired). She stopped by today, in fact, and later when the boss(who is out for the week) found out about it, he sent a message that if she came back again, she was "strictly forbidden" from going anywhere but the front window. And this is a woman who worked there for many years.

Further rage, I found the exact part of the Bible that biblically "justifies" trampling women's rights(starting at 1 Timothy 2:9, if you want to read it yourself). On the whole, I can agree with most of the morality and "good living" parts of the New Testament, but some of the other parts, they... they just don't make any sense. I can't really describe it any other way. The Old Testament is more like entertaining semi-historic records.

And finally, some asshole on the bus, as he gets up to get off, throws an empty drink bottle on the floor as he leaves. What the hell is with that? He was holding on to it just to do that? Surely he couldn't have simply held on to it for a few more minutes? Of course, not one to leave trash laying around on the bus, I pick it up to throw away at the nearest available trash recepticle. If the bus driver had left the door open for just a second longer, I'd have thrown it at the guy's head instead.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: July 13, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »

If anything, Timothy is considered a knucklehead in my church (catholics) and is mostly used by those crazed baptists *cough*westboro*cough*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: July 13, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »

Coworker complained to my supervisor about me being too loud so that she can't hear her radio.  I spoke maybe 4 times prior, each time regarding the work I was doing.  Once asking questions regarding a new memo that was not very clear about a new way to process specific parts of my job(turns out it wasn't even meant for my department, it was meant for farther down the process), and the other three times assisting a newer employee with her computer system.  She blares her radio so loud that it can be heard across the room, and I can hear it clearly while I have my headphones on because all I have between me and her is a crummy cubicle partition.  Yet nothing ever comes of folks complaining about her.

Probably the only reason she could tell I was talking was because I had to speak up each time to be heard over her radio.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It was like that when I worked at the DoT in an office that was 1:10 males to females. Noise boundaries were like WWII nation boundaries, someone was always invading someone else's. Offices are funny like that, battle lines get drawn in weird places over even odder things.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just noticed a spilt along the bottom of one of my good pairs of pants. FUUUCK.
Looks like I'll have to try to fix it with the crappy sewing kit I have, although the last time I tried to fix my own clothes, I got help from my mother. Only her method of helping is doing it herself, breaking most of the tools, and telling you how to do in a language I can only describe as "not English", while talking over your head.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: July 13, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »

Further rage, I found the exact part of the Bible that biblically "justifies" trampling women's rights(starting at 1 Timothy 2:9, if you want to read it yourself). On the whole, I can agree with most of the morality and "good living" parts of the New Testament, but some of the other parts, they... they just don't make any sense. I can't really describe it any other way. The Old Testament is more like entertaining semi-historic records.
Contextual guide to women leadership topics found in 1 Timothy, etc. This particular topic is one I have some additional bias on, since my father is staunchly pro-women leadership in the church, and I've grown up in a circle where women pastors are embraced.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: July 13, 2011, 08:24:43 pm »

If anything, Timothy is considered a knucklehead in my church (catholics) and is mostly used by those crazed baptists *cough*westboro*cough*

Westboro aren't Christians, though. They're in it purely so they can sue peoples' ass off when they get angry for them desecrating a funeral.

Now Timothy is a funny letter. It's not from Paul, which is obvious from the introduction.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Office environments seem to make people bitter, passive-aggressive, and desperate to remind themselves that they exist (constant existential crisis), which they do by testing their boundaries against others.

It's a product of spending the majority of one's time in an environment that is bland, sterile, and strictly controlled... where individuality is slowly and subtly suffocated and people are made into simple conduits for information without opportunity for critical thought or decision making.

It's kind of like solitary confinement, except you're not literally solitary.  You are expected to be a machine -- a thing separated from yourself -- and surrounded by others in exactly the same situation.

The people I know who have been working in environments like this for decades are deeply troubled and petty people, and I can see how I could eventually become one of them if I'm not careful.  Hanging out on forums like this is what keeps me sane.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: July 13, 2011, 08:34:33 pm »

Westboro aren't Christians, though. They're in it purely so they can sue peoples' ass off when they get angry for them desecrating a funeral.
No, they're genuine, as you can see from the children they ousted from the church. The lawsuits are just a bonus to being insane hateful lunatics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 3345