Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705163 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread.
« Reply #3180 on: April 28, 2011, 02:56:35 pm »

Doesn't Jay keep a log of actions people take? Maybe you can find out who did it, and get them black listed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:42 pm »

The thing is SalmonGod, even if it is not rare any more, and no longer a guaranty of a great job, it is still needed. I mean, if a college diploma is now a days worth what a high school diploma was worth, that does not mean you can get away with a high school diploma now, because high school diplomas have devalued as well.

Now admittedly, you do not need a college diploma today, much like you did not need a high school diploma back then. You can certainly get a good career without it. But it is hard to do so, and life is much harder without it.

I'm not convinced anymore.  Yes, it's an almost requirement to keep yourself standing on a straight and narrow path that is constantly shrinking while also becoming more and more crowded.  People are falling off the sides every day, and you have no chance of hanging on without a degree.

On the other hand, that straight and narrow is not all there is, and it's harder and harder to justify the incredible sacrifices one must undergo in order to live on it.

Also, yes you do get out of it what you put into it, but that goes for absolutely anything.  You can work your ass off at school with robot-like levels of single-minded dedication, making sure that you do exactly all the right things to lead into a job, and you will probably guarantee yourself success in doing so... but you would probably guarantee yourself success with such behavior no matter what, even outside of school.  Hell, anybody who knows exactly what they want to do, exactly what steps to take, and dedicates themselves to that can probably succeed at most things even without a higher education.

And... internships?... I wish I'd had the opportunity.  There was this one massive success story in my graduating class.  This guy got hired as a technical director at Pixar immediately after graduation.  Everybody I've mentioned him to also hates his guts because he stole internships right out from under their noses by offering to do more work for no pay.  The guy had absolutely no obstacles to deal with.  His parents paid his way through and he had no responsibilities other than school.  By the time I knew what I wanted to do and was far enough along in that program, I needed to work full time.  There was no way in hell I could have basically worked another job for no pay.  Internships just aren't realistic for a lot of people.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: April 28, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »

I could probably do internships if I tell my boss to shove it and stop making me work during the weekdays.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: April 28, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »

The stupid reason college tuition in America costs more than any other country: http://nplusonemag.com/bad-education

So how do I short SLABS?  Someone call Mike Burry.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

Youtube isn't showing the light-red bar that shows how buffered the video is. Especially annoying when my connection is crappy and the videos are taking forever to load! D:<

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: April 28, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »

I'm downloading a file, and I leave the room to do something while it's downloading. My stepdad comes in and shuts the computer off. And there's absolutely no reason for him to have been in my room in the first place.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: April 28, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »

I'm downloading a file, and I leave the room to do something while it's downloading. My stepdad comes in and shuts the computer off. And there's absolutely no reason for him to have been in my room in the first place.
D:

My sympathies, Akura.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: April 28, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »

I nearly had a heart attack because I thought 4*3 = 21, when it's actually 12.  Jesus, brain, why do you have to make my job even harder by observing symmetry?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:32 pm »

I nearly had a heart attack because I thought 4*3 = 21, when it's actually 12.  Jesus, brain, why do you have to make my job even harder by observing symmetry?
When you do your arithmetic wrong, it gives you heart attacks?

Note to self: never ever ever ever let Vector see anything I do with math. We don't want her to have heart attacks are strobe-light speeds.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: April 28, 2011, 10:36:36 pm »

Yeah.  Same when someone says 22/7 is pi, rather than an approximation for pi, or when someone says 1 + 1 = 1 in Z2, or anything like that.  It drives me completely bonkers.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: April 28, 2011, 10:42:38 pm »

What actually made me rage today: my subconscious/brain/whatever. Because when I write stuff, sometimes it will tell my hand to write something slightly different than what I meant it to be. Like I'll try to write "misinformed," it might randomly become "malpractice" or some other stupid moderately-long m word. And I won't notice it until I proofread. It's an absolute pain in the butt when I have to do lab write-ups.

Then again, the same thing sometimes happens when I'm talking, or typing, or communicating in some other fashion. It's like my subconscious/brain/whatever has said "Why stick with Freudian slips when this guy has such a freakin' massive glossary of other terms that could be equally as awkward or embarrassing?"
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3191 on: April 28, 2011, 10:50:29 pm »

What actually made me rage today: my subconscious/brain/whatever. Because when I write stuff, sometimes it will tell my hand to write something slightly different than what I meant it to be. Like I'll try to write "misinformed," it might randomly become "malpractice" or some other stupid moderately-long m word. And I won't notice it until I proofread. It's an absolute pain in the butt when I have to do lab write-ups.

Then again, the same thing sometimes happens when I'm talking, or typing, or communicating in some other fashion. It's like my subconscious/brain/whatever has said "Why stick with Freudian slips when this guy has such a freakin' massive glossary of other terms that could be equally as awkward or embarrassing?"

If it is a fairly common occurance, you could have a variant of disgraphia. I often find myself writing upside down, out of order or using the wrong words. It doesn't affect my typing to nearly the same degree as it does handwriting.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: April 28, 2011, 11:05:30 pm »

My older kid has a tendency to write numbers and letters (not whole words) backwards.  I'm not sure yet if he just hasn't been through enough repetition or if there's actually a problem there.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: April 28, 2011, 11:06:57 pm »

My older kid has a tendency to write numbers and letters (not whole words) backwards.  I'm not sure yet if he just hasn't been through enough repetition or if there's actually a problem there.

I wouldn't worry about it.  I do it all the bloody time (same thing with writing obviously incorrect words, a bit like TherosPherae) without even noticing that I've, say, written epsilon instead of 3.  Again.  Or g instead of d, and all that good stuff.  So... maybe it could be a problem?  But I've always had this issue, and it doesn't seem to have caused me too much trouble.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: April 28, 2011, 11:11:02 pm »

I wouldn't worry about it.  I do it all the bloody time (same thing with writing obviously incorrect words, a bit like TherosPherae) without even noticing that I've, say, written epsilon instead of 3.  Again.  Or g instead of d, and all that good stuff.  So... maybe it could be a problem?  But I've always had this issue, and it doesn't seem to have caused me too much trouble.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned.  I just have to watch him do his homework and notify him when it happens, because it's kindergarten and literally the teacher's job at this stage to nitpick on those things.  He'll often have to re-write the same E or 3 two or three times before getting it right.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 3345