Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694166 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: R.I.P Bambi Edition
« Reply #26355 on: August 05, 2013, 07:01:16 pm »

I've been wondering why my computer has been running a bit slower than usual and using up more RAM than I remember, along with quite a few games I had refusing to work due to a lack of memory available. I tried literally everything in order to get things to work more smoothly, and I just realized why my system is using up more RAM. When re-installing windows 7, I accidentally installed the 32 bit version. So instead of using my full 3 GB of ram, it was only using the maximum of 2 for most games. God, I feel so fucking stupid for spending hours trying to troubleshoot all of my problems, just to realize it was so simple and that I'm going to have to re-install Windows 7 on my computer again.

Isn't the 32-bit cap 3.5ish GB, not 2?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #26356 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:14 pm »

I've been wondering why my computer has been running a bit slower than usual and using up more RAM than I remember, along with quite a few games I had refusing to work due to a lack of memory available. I tried literally everything in order to get things to work more smoothly, and I just realized why my system is using up more RAM. When re-installing windows 7, I accidentally installed the 32 bit version. So instead of using my full 3 GB of ram, it was only using the maximum of 2 for most games. God, I feel so fucking stupid for spending hours trying to troubleshoot all of my problems, just to realize it was so simple and that I'm going to have to re-install Windows 7 on my computer again.

Isn't the 32-bit cap 3.5ish GB, not 2?
Not entirely sure, actually. That post I made was written at 4 AM after I spent an hour or two troubleshooting why my various games were running horribly. Apparently they just had issues with 32 bit OS's, but everything is fine now that I have a 64bit version of Windows 7.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26357 on: August 05, 2013, 07:21:31 pm »

Skype update tried to sneak in that forsaken bing thing, what the hell and I almost clicked install by clicking too fast. This make me really mad for some reason, it's so underhanded.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26358 on: August 05, 2013, 07:24:38 pm »

Wait until you install something with like five shitty ad programs like that. The accept/decline buttons switched places randomly as I declined them, trying to throw me off so I accidentally accepted one.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26359 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:02 pm »

Theres a handy website,  Ninite.com or something like that. 

While I did have a small issue with how it dosn't let you decide where to put all the stuff(that I could find anyway), the website gives you an installer for all kinds of stuff and automatically says no to all the bullshit.  Very helpful for setting up a new computer. 

While I haven't tested the functionality myself yet it will apperantly update any pre existing installs you have too, again saying no to all the bullshit.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26360 on: August 05, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »

Something I hate: programs that ask if you want to install some extra sponsored toolbar or something, then ignores what you said and installs it anyways.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26361 on: August 05, 2013, 08:35:55 pm »

Theres a handy website,  Ninite.com or something like that. 

While I did have a small issue with how it dosn't let you decide where to put all the stuff(that I could find anyway), the website gives you an installer for all kinds of stuff and automatically says no to all the bullshit.  Very helpful for setting up a new computer. 

While I haven't tested the functionality myself yet it will apperantly update any pre existing installs you have too, again saying no to all the bullshit.

Let's Learn Computer Stuff!

For most Windows programs, installers come in one of two basic forms. The first is an MSI file, which Windows Installer reads and does what it says to install the program. The second is an executable, which is in actuality a self-extracting archive that puts the files where they need to be, and sometimes runs one of the files in the archive. Sometimes you'll get a blend of these, where a self-extracting archive contains an MSI. Here's how to make them less annoying, using the Windows command prompt:

For MSI files, the process is simple. Run msiexec.exe (Windows Installer) like so:

Code: [Select]
msiexec /i <installer.msi> /qb /promptrestart

All you'll see is a status bar, and possibly a prompt to reboot, if the installation requires it.

Another popular installer brand is InstallShield. These installers are simple self-extracting archives that contain one or more MSI files, and usually some other files necessary for the installation. Quiet installation:

<installer.exe> /s /sms /v" /qb /promptrestart"

The /s tells InstallShield not to display anything, the /sms tells the program not to exit until the install is complete, and the /v passes in the quoted flags to msiexec.

If you're installing some old software, you might see a Wise installer. Those are dealt with like so:

<installer.exe> /s

For most other executables, you can extract their contents with a tool like 7zip or PeaZip, and then run the MSI.

A word of warning: it's hit-or-miss as to whether or not third-party software will be installed if the installer contains the option. A lot of times, it won't (see: Java), but it can still occasionally happen, if the software vendor is shady.

Ninite probably has a database of setup.iss files, which are used in InstallShield installers to specify which options to pick. They are created by using the /r switch in the command, which makes InstallShield install the program and record the options chosen in a file called setup.iss, which will by default be placed in the root directory of your Windows drive (typically C). By using the /f1 flag, immediately followed by a fully-qualified file path, future installations will use those same options.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26362 on: August 05, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »

Huh, learn something new every day. 

That is probably exactly what ninite does, it does all the installations with never actually bringing up any installer windows related to the programs. 

It just brings up a little window with a progress bar and optional details telling you what's downloading, what's installing, what's unneeded*, and what's already installed.  Once it checks compatibility and such, as you said, it probably just downloads what it needs from the host sites, and runs those commands in a script.

Still convenient, but nice to know for stuff not available there.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26363 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:01 am »

DANG IT Anita Sarkeesian!

I don't know why I am taking it so seriously but I am just so bad that the only "subversion" Anita can bring up for the Damsel in Distress is always the Damsel wearing male clothing and taking on the heroes role.

It is probably because frankly... that is kind of the only role for women anyhow.

I don't know if she is unfortunately right... I really don't want her to be right because frankly being a woman isn't a weakness... but...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26364 on: August 06, 2013, 12:42:21 am »

It amuses me to no end that there's still this perception that "Grab a sword/gun and go kill everyone in your way" is the only way someone can be strong and heroic. Granted, it's the easiest way to build a wish-fulfillment power trip for the player in the context of gaming, but that doesn't excuse the assumption that someone who isn't Kickass McTakenames can't possibly be hero/ine material.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26365 on: August 06, 2013, 02:50:18 am »

It amuses me to no end that there's still this perception that "Grab a sword/gun and go kill everyone in your way" is the only way someone can be strong and heroic. Granted, it's the easiest way to build a wish-fulfillment power trip for the player in the context of gaming, but that doesn't excuse the assumption that someone who isn't Kickass McTakenames can't possibly be hero/ine material.
It depends on the genre of game. Most games involving some kind of narrative or plot and characters feature some kind of action, hence the "grab a gunsword" hero trend. It's not the only way to show heroism, but it's the most common, more than likely simply as a result of games incorporating action or combat or opposing sides in the plot.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #26366 on: August 06, 2013, 04:50:41 am »

I'm pissed off that many mainstream reviewing websites are giving Dragon's Crown low scores simply because one character in the game has unrealistically sized breasts. Polygon gave the game a 6.5 solely for the reason alone, spending a majority of the review describing how defended and uncomfortable they were that a female character had unrealistically sized breasts. This just further makes me dislike the game review industry more, which has been on a slow decline ever since video game magazines became popular.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26367 on: August 06, 2013, 05:27:51 am »

I had to google Dragon's Crown because of that and... Well, come on. Those breasts aren't just "unrealistically sized". They're ridiculously oversized to the point where it's just sad. And judging from their website, it seems it's a pretty prevailing element of the game's art.

Also, the tinkerbell-like in their loading screen farts brown fairy-dust fireworks, for some reason.
Love, scriver~

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26368 on: August 06, 2013, 06:29:41 am »

The Amazon looks soooo weird.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26369 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:35 am »

I had to google Dragon's Crown because of that and... Well, come on. Those breasts aren't just "unrealistically sized". They're ridiculously oversized to the point where it's just sad. And judging from their website, it seems it's a pretty prevailing element of the game's art.

Also, the tinkerbell-like in their loading screen farts brown fairy-dust fireworks, for some reason.
Well, that's kinda the point. The entire game is based around caricaturization.
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 3345