Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1655 1656 [1657] 1658 1659 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689946 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Go To Bed Edition
« Reply #24840 on: June 21, 2013, 01:23:26 am »

No internet for like 36 hours. This is my least favorite part of moving.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #24841 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:54 am »

My computer is having memory issues to the tune of two issues, possibly related:

Insane read/write activity
Functioning at 100% of its capacity (even when it isn't)

Before I begin, this information is all through my resource monitor. The first, the system (and occasionally a seemingly random program) will start reading/writing megabytes of data as fast as it possibly can, highest I can remember is the system process going at 8MB/s for a few minutes. The second issue is more interesting: No matter what the actual disk activity appears to be, it will begin operating at 100% Highest active time (and whatever is doing it is slowing things down considerably) for precisely 17 seconds, then go to 0% for one second, then repeat. Usually lasts a good while before stabilizing at a sane level again.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:51:07 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24842 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:23 am »

Windows updates downloading? When my comp is grinding away and performance seems to be saturated, that's usually what is going on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #24843 on: June 21, 2013, 10:39:13 am »

Windows updates downloading? When my comp is grinding away and performance seems to be saturated, that's usually what is going on.

Nope, nothing is downloading at all, I checked. No downloads, no virus scans (which also turned up blank on viruses, using MBAM and Avast!).

Oddly enough, something that helps keep the frequency of these episodes down for a short time is using a system restore, and it doesn't matter what's restoring. Even a system restore to undo a system restore seemed to help.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24844 on: June 21, 2013, 11:41:13 am »

... any luck figuring out which process (or processes, I suppose) is doing the work of it? I know process explorer, at the least, will track read/write pretty easily. Looks like standard task manager does it alright, too, though obviously not as elegantly :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24845 on: June 21, 2013, 11:53:08 am »

Eh, Task Manager won't tell you what's doing the read/writes. Process Explorer will though, I'd highly encourage you to use it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #24846 on: June 21, 2013, 11:53:16 am »

That's the weird part: I'm using the resource manager, which shows what processes are doing what to the disk, and it's usually just the one labeled "System". Occasionally a scvhost will crop up doing it as well, but they don't do it nearly as long or as severe as the system process that's tracked, and I know which ones are usually problem ones so I can suspend their operation until it's returned to normal.

The insane read/write thing might be related, but it doesn't always happen alongside the constant use and vice-versa.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24847 on: June 21, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »

Almost sounds like it might be the system backup or whatever that is acting up... vaguely remember something similar happening to me a bit back. Being as competent as I am with such things (relatively little), I'd probably suggest just going through your services and disabling them one by one until you hit whatever's causing it (or don't, in which case you've strongly pared down what could be the source of the issue.). Might at least help identify what isn't the problem.

Which is sometimes half the battle. Well, probably more like a quarter or a fifth, since knowing is half yo joe and knowing what isn't the problem would probably be a component of that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24848 on: June 21, 2013, 12:25:38 pm »

That's the weird part: I'm using the resource manager, which shows what processes are doing what to the disk, and it's usually just the one labeled "System". Occasionally a scvhost will crop up doing it as well, but they don't do it nearly as long or as severe as the system process that's tracked, and I know which ones are usually problem ones so I can suspend their operation until it's returned to normal.

The insane read/write thing might be related, but it doesn't always happen alongside the constant use and vice-versa.

Maybe it is your system trying to build a system restore point and doing a bad job of it. That'd explain why after restoring to system restore point, it goes away and comes back later. It'd also explain why your disk is getting hit so hard. Have you tried disabling system restore point creation to see if the issue stops happening?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24849 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:55 pm »

I discovered I need to renew my library card. Last time I did this, they required proof of adress(somethng with my adress on it). Now, they require photo ID, which I do not have. When I last tried to get one, I lacked a few pieces of identifying paperwork(HS diploma, birth certificate, etc). My parents should have these, but they were so convinced that *I* have them that they refused to search for them. So, chances are they have them but won't look for them, lost them, but won't look for them, or threw them out and forgot about it/won't fess up to it(I'm convinced they are the kind of people who would do this).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #24850 on: June 21, 2013, 12:35:57 pm »

Maybe it is your system trying to build a system restore point and doing a bad job of it. That'd explain why after restoring to system restore point, it goes away and comes back later. It'd also explain why your disk is getting hit so hard. Have you tried disabling system restore point creation to see if the issue stops happening?

Er... is there a way to disable automatic creation of restore points without wiping out all of the existing ones and completely disabling system restore as an option? Especially as that might not be the issue, as I can see an automatically created restore point that formed recently with no issue, and this thing only creates (or tries to) them once a week, and this is much more frequent.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:37:30 pm by PyroDesu »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24851 on: June 21, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »

Er... is there a way to disable automatic creation of restore points without wiping out all of the existing ones and completely disabling system restore as an option? Especially as that might not be the issue, as I can see an automatically created restore point that formed recently with no issue, and this thing only creates (or tries to) them once a week, and this is much more frequent.
I think no.
I had a similar problem on several computers a few years ago. Somehow Ultra-DMA mode had disabled itself for the HD and the DVD-drive after a read error, which made every disk activity painfully slow. That was under XP though, there was a registry-fix for that.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24852 on: June 21, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »

I just spent another night without sleep on my laptop. Shit.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24853 on: June 21, 2013, 04:54:46 pm »

I just spent another night without sleep on my laptop. Shit.

I know that feel bro. I want to sleep, but instead I stay up until 4 on my laptop watching game grumps.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24854 on: June 21, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »

Getting kinda aggravated trying to install Arcanum, after having spent most of the day downloading it from GOG. Trying to run the installer just makes everything kinda break. I've already restarted my computer two or three times. It's not just this particular installer, since B-17: Flying Fortress' installer(also a GOG purchase) did the same thing, but eventually worked.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1655 1656 [1657] 1658 1659 ... 3345