Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 943 944 [945] 946 947 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690003 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead

Yeah, damn computers lording it over you with their protection measures. If I want to install something, then you'd better damn well let me install it. Humans have many advantages over you, such as sledge hammers, magnets and incendiary bombs.

What's a computer going to do? Blow some dust into your face with the fan?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

And that is how I learned to just turn off UAC and stop wrestling with permissions all the time.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

There are people who do modding without turning UAC off?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I have notepad and notepad++ set to always run as admin, so it's all good

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

There are people who do modding without turning UAC off?
I'm not intensively modding, this was my first time trying it. I just read somewhere that i could make crabs buyable by turning buyable to 1 in their ini file so i set out to do that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Still, theres little point in not turning it off unless someone else uses the computer that doesn't know much about using it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

Windows administrators are not the most privileged users is because you are the administrator by default. Giving every program that you run admin priviledges is not a good thing (unless you are one of the thousands of Windows viruses in the wild), so Microsoft had to hamstring the administrator account with UAC. On a UNIX-based OS, you rarely, if ever, login as root, and you escalate your priviledges when needed.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

So basically, Linux and Mac are superior to Windows in that area. *cue lots of people saying that linux is superior to EVERYTHING in general.*

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

Since 2000 and XP, one can run programs as another user, so one could create a non-priviledged account, disable UAC, and run specific programs as the administrator when needed. That might give a similar experience; I have never tried it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

So basically, Linux and Mac are superior to Windows in that area. *cue lots of people saying that linux is superior to EVERYTHING in general.*
Not true as like Fenrir said you have to escalate your privileges for UNIX systems. Macs are a complete bitch about as they password protect EVERYTHING, it will constantly ask for a password for installing programs and with the latest version of OSX we techs now lost most access to the hard drive when transferring data in and out. Linux, well its already a secured system but currently some distros are even moving towards Mac styles of protection *cough*ubuntu*cough* so its not getting better.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

It makes sense for Windows to choose UAC instead of separate the user and administrator accounts; asking someone to click “Yes” is easier than trying to explain to them what “run the program as the administrator” means and how to do it.

Tellemurius, I am running Arch, and I enter my password every time I need elevated privileges (sudo, of course). Is there a better way to manage this? I could perhaps configure pacman to install programs to my /home directory.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:06:15 pm by Fenrir »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Ubuntu is the Mac of Linux:It looks shinier, and you can do plenty of stuff with it, but theres better places to do most of the things it can do anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

Those new Pert Plus commercials are making me RAEEEEGGGGG. I know the angle they're going for, but still, the whole 'don't be an animal' thing really just enrages me for some reason.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Telling you to suppress your animal nature causes it to rise to the top? I approve.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 943 944 [945] 946 947 ... 3345