Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699120 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

A dark sci fi show doesn't sound very marketable, so they might be playing up minor parts to appeal to a larger audience.
I dunno, sounds like they're promoting Aliens Prometheus just fine.

I'll admit the title "Dark Shadows" seemed really weird for a comedy.  I have no foreknowledge of the Dark Shadows series.  Does the movie really rip off the show?  I wonder why they couldn't just call the movie something else...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I get that Tim Burton never does anything without a comedic edge somewhere, been true forever. But Edward Scissorhands, this is not. Did he see Twilight and think "Yes, I'll totally bastardize a classic just to capitalize on the fact people are aware of vampires right now."?

Given the success of Twilight, a movie about a weird family and their vampire progenitor, set in Victorian England, might have actually appealed to those who liked Twilight but were sick of the glitter.

Does the movie really rip off the show?

It's not a ripoff. It is the show, now being given a "whacky" modern twist. Barnabus walks out of his tomb or something and is like "Oh shit, it's 2012! I have to learn how to use a cellphone! Nyuk nyuk nyuk."

The original Dark Shadows series that played on Sci-fi actually dates back to the 60s. It was starchy even for its time, but that's what lent all the weird shit validity. Vampire ancestors, crazy witch ghosts that love tormenting successive generations of Collins, all sorts of stuff. It was basically Anne Rice before Anne Rice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:10:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Whelp. Sounds rage worthy to me, then.

Though of course try it before you knock it. If it's horrible, you'll have plenty more ammunition to throw at it than by not seeing it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

It's not a ripoff. It is the show, now being given a "whacky" modern twist. Barnabus walks out of his tomb or something and is like "Oh shit, it's 2012! I have to learn how to use a cellphone! Nyuk nyuk nyuk."
If you'd paid attention to anything about the trailers, you'd have seen that it's set in the 70's, not the 10's.

Not that it makes it better, but you should at least get the reasons why you don't like it right. >____>;
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not that it makes it better, but you should at least get the reasons why you don't like it right. >____>;

Touche'
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile

the onley thing i have to drink is this spicy ginger beer.

what i did after half the bottle

HOLY SHIT THATS HOT!

I NEED A DRINK!

*drinks more hot soda*

CRAP THAT MADE IT WORSE!!

wait...*facepalm*
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Inadequate bike system in the city I live in.  Yes, having trails and lanes in the downtown and on campus is a very nice start.  But, if the only connection is a worthless "Share the Road" sign down a ~200 foot drop into the river valley, I don't feel safe biking on it.  Nobody listens to "share the road" signs; if they see a bike on the road while they're barreling down the slope, they'll probably just honk at me and give me the finger.  One of the roads is wide enough for a bike lane; a trail isn't even necessary, but share the road crap doesn't work.

EDIT: I just want to ride my bicycle.  BICYCLE! BICYCLE! BICYCLE!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:08:24 pm by Jervill »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Inadequate bike system in the city I live in.  Yes, having trails and lanes in the downtown and on campus is a very nice start.  But, if the only connection is a worthless "Share the Road" sign down a ~200 foot drop into the river valley, I don't feel safe biking on it.  Nobody listens to "share the road" signs; if they see a bike on the road while they're barreling down the slope, they'll probably just honk at me and give me the finger.  One of the roads is wide enough for a bike lane; a trail isn't even necessary, but share the road crap doesn't work.

EDIT: I just want to ride my bicycle.  BICYCLE! BICYCLE! BICYCLE!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

So I bought this fancy ass Razer mouse a while back.

Now the glitchy driver software seems to have permanently disabled the mouse on my computer. Yay technology!

edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure it killed the mouse's firmware. As in, the stuff that's actually on the mouse. Meaning that this mouse is now a paperweight.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:01:20 pm by penguinofhonor »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you checked it under the device manager? It might have just been flagged as disabled. Damn HIDs.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Yep, it's gone from there.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

I spent all day working on a code library at work. It was a pain in the ass. Tonight I had a brilliant idea at home, and wrote an functionally equivalent library in an hour. It is ~1/10th the size, half the complexity and at least 4 times faster. I should have been sleeping.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I somewhat doubt you would've thought of the second implementation without making the first.

Sometimes you get the wrong answers before you get the right ones. Forgoing it entirely means you get no answers.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Government is considering to add a private copying levy on computers, tablets, printers and mobile phones in addition to the existing levy on mp3-players, various DVDs, external HDDs etc. and 9% VAT.
The monopolistic copyright mafia is continuing to extort consumers while they continuously fail to grasp that their anachronistic business models are failing and are perpetually condemning any proposal that doesn't give them more power over consumers as an apocalyptic eldritch spawn of Satan.
How these confounded racketeers manage to sleep at night, let alone live with themselves in the ninth circle of Hell, is quite mystifying.

Said about-to-be-levied products are going to get a lot more expensive, because the mafia said so. And whatever the mafia say is the Voice of God to their corrupted minions in the government.

RAEG.

I'm voting Pirate Party next election.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 3345