Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blunt damage tweaked with? Also other DF2010 combat discussion.  (Read 1163 times)

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm noticing in 31.06 that macedwarves and hammer dwarves tend to actually kill stuff again. Usually through quite literally bashing something's brains out :D Did blunt damage get changed around a bit?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:44:36 am by Vigilant »

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt damage tweaked with?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

I'm noticing in 31.06 that macedwarves and hammer dwarves tend to actually kill stuff again. Usually through quite literally bashing something's brains out :D Did blunt damage get changed around a bit?

Mayhaps skulls have been made more crushable? I know there have been some issues with critical organs being... well not very critical? Maybe that's what has changed.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 02:33:34 am »

Yea I can kinda confirm some of what we were asking for is going on. Vital organs are vital (enough brain bashing is a fatal hit, messing up lungs will have you suffocate), and broken bones have a chance to tear open arteries (this happens after a ton of hits so usually in combat vs armored foes). Dying victims are still a cornucopia of red parts before they succumb, perhaps too many, but they do indeed die from being hammered to death :D

EDIT : It takes a while but it's confirmed the artery tearing can cause a dwarf to bleed to death. Dwarf on dwarf combat where both were wearing adamantine armor, the dwarf with the steel hammer banged the other into a pulp over a long time eventually bleeding him out.

EDIT2 : How were spears in early 2010 versions? I usually stayed away from them but i'm trying them out in the arena and they're NASTY. They cut tendons and nerves quite often, and generally pierce through armor. A few good hits will probably disarm the opponent. Also can cut off fingers :D Maybe i'll start giving my dwarves spears in fort mode...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:46:19 am by Vigilant »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt damage tweaked with? Also other DF2010 combat discussion.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:39:49 am »

Yeah, spears are nasty. Goblins like them too, which is :(
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt damage tweaked with? Also other DF2010 combat discussion.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:08:51 am »

Slashed open arteries will cause a soldier to bleed to death very quickly. It's usually a certain death if it happens to someone. That's what I've noticed in my forts.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:56:11 am »

Yea I can kinda confirm some of what we were asking for is going on. Vital organs are vital (enough brain bashing is a fatal hit, messing up lungs will have you suffocate), and broken bones have a chance to tear open arteries (this happens after a ton of hits so usually in combat vs armored foes). Dying victims are still a cornucopia of red parts before they succumb, perhaps too many, but they do indeed die from being hammered to death :D

EDIT : It takes a while but it's confirmed the artery tearing can cause a dwarf to bleed to death. Dwarf on dwarf combat where both were wearing adamantine armor, the dwarf with the steel hammer banged the other into a pulp over a long time eventually bleeding him out.

EDIT2 : How were spears in early 2010 versions? I usually stayed away from them but i'm trying them out in the arena and they're NASTY. They cut tendons and nerves quite often, and generally pierce through armor. A few good hits will probably disarm the opponent. Also can cut off fingers :D Maybe i'll start giving my dwarves spears in fort mode...

Honesly, quite useless. I like my adventurers using them, and I have to get the opponent COMPLETELY red before he finally suffocates from the lung wounds I gave him. A headshot does seem to drop enemies pretty fast...as in 1 shot fast.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.