Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ALCOHOL_CREATURE  (Read 988 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
ALCOHOL_CREATURE
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:45:47 am »

just what it says. How can I use this?
Can I make some creatures blood count as an "alcohol" so it will be stockpiled under "ANIMAL DRINKS" in the stockpiles?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: ALCOHOL_CREATURE
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:47:02 am »

There was a bit of confusion over this on the modding IRC channel a while back, and if I remember correctly, BLOOD and EXTRACT are hardcoded to be different to DRINK, even if they are functionally identical.  I may be wrong, and it may have been changed in the releases since, but the experiments that were being done back then were pretty conclusive.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:54:27 am »

dang. 'Cuz it's in the string dump, and I want blood puddings!
Hehe.

I knew it was like that last release, but I thought with the material rewrites things might have changed.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:55:52 am »

Dammit, I can't remember the name of the chap who was doing the testing, but it was for a pretty cool mod.  He attempted to make blood pudding, too.  Argh. :|
Also known as Zuhayr.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:04:10 am »

If you remember, I'd like to know. I searched the forum, and didn't find anything. I want a use for all those barrels of blood the traders bring, dammit!
[/quote]

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:15:34 am »

ISoB's Gustatory Science mod has a goat who's cheese can be turned into booze, not quite what you were looking for but it's the closest you can get in this mod.

I wonder if you could make a reaction that turns a certain animals blood or meat into booze much like the above mod, blood + barrel = blood wine?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:20:43 am »

Wait, we could milk an animal, then add a reaction in the Kitchen to "distill" it and turn it into booze.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:31:22 am »

Wait, we could milk an animal, then add a reaction in the Kitchen to "distill" it and turn it into booze.

except it's in a container. So you can't.
[/quote]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:33:30 am »

I thought that was fixed?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:50:57 am »

It was not supposed to work yet, how could it be fixed? :) It works for lye only.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:52:18 am »

Yep, through many, many tests while working on my mod, I can say that using blood in barrels (or anything else in a container) will not work in a reaction, so blood pudding was unachievable for me. I also tried and failed at making other things besides milk come out, so no automatically alcoholic milk... If you try to get anything not defined as a milk to come out, it ends up as a generic, useless liquid. Which is why I ended up with the cheese->booze reaction.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:54:21 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »

Actualy, speaking of blood... I had an idea that there could be a workshop where you use the blood to enchant a weapon or something.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:30 pm »

Actualy, speaking of blood... I had an idea that there could be a workshop where you use the blood to enchant a weapon or something.

As many people have already said, using blood in a reaction is currently impossible - UNLESS you change the basic properties of blood, and make it come out as a glob or something instead of a liquid. AFAIK, the dwarves can then take it out of a barrel and bring it to the workshop. The problem with using liquid blood is that it needs to stay in the container, but while in the container it cannot be used in a reaction. Lye is the only exception to this, due to the existence of the [CONTAINS_LYE] token.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »

As many people have already said, using blood in a reaction is currently impossible - UNLESS you change the basic properties of blood, and make it come out as a glob or something instead of a liquid. AFAIK, the dwarves can then take it out of a barrel and bring it to the workshop. The problem with using liquid blood is that it needs to stay in the container, but while in the container it cannot be used in a reaction. Lye is the only exception to this, due to the existence of the [CONTAINS_LYE] token.
would we be able to use blood if we added [CONTAINS_LYE] to it? or would that not help at all?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:17:37 pm »

would we be able to use blood if we added [CONTAINS_LYE] to it? or would that not help at all?

Well [CONTAINS_LYE] is a reaction token that you use alongside a barrel in a reaction. It tells the program to only use barrels with lye. It would generate an error if you put it into a material template definition. And, to compound the difficulty of using blood, lye is completely hard-coded... I don't think there's any way to make creatures blood count as lye. So... we'll have to wait until Toady expands the reaction system to allow shit in containers.
Pages: [1] 2