Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107243 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2010, 08:53:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Major bonus points if you "get" the seed  :P Note that I am running on Linux so maybe the seed goes a bit different for you ^^; But my dead civ is called The Sunken Tools. The map actually generates a huge ring of evil mountains with a desert in the middle. THERE should be pretty isolationist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the map  :o

Awesome, thanks!  I guess the seed is fitting, considering you probably feel as though intentionally generating a would like that may be a bad idea... I'm on windows, so I'm guessing it won't work, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway and see what happens.

I guess I could just upload the whole savefile if it doesn't work, and you could abandon my fort after admiring how carefully laid-out it is  :P Also you win over two billion internets  ;D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2010, 10:08:12 pm »

I don't think it's a bug. Sounds like the civilisation is dead.

I have a very similar fort genned in .05 (not a single migrant after moving over to .06 in summer of the second year, 10 in that first year in .05). Abandoning and checking legends suggests there is only one other group of dwarves on the map, established in the same year as me. Both existent dwarven sites are listed as mountainhomes... including my poky little 17 dwarf outpost surrounded by goblins. Abandoning lead my dwarves to found a new civilisation in the same site. Poor sods.

Reading around, that looks normal if your civilisation is wiped out. A couple straggling groups bring in a handful of dwarves, then nothing.

It is a bit odd because there were definitely Dwarven settlements in the embark map. Looking at the legends again suggests they had some serious Titan problems.

It wouldn't be too bad, but unfortunately the goblins are in real force, and 17 dwarves isn't enough to maintain a fort and build a military that can hold off 4 squad ambushes without marksdwarves. I think I'll hole up (I have a massive underground farm and I'm working on access to underground wood), build up the dwarves I have and run it till the misanthropic smith finally cracks and takes out someone popular. If I can make him happy again then being the last bastion of Dwarven civilisation is fairly attractive.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:10:48 pm by palsch »

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2010, 11:00:22 pm »

Thank you, Toady One. I like these fast releases. :)
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2010, 12:53:45 am »

Kickass  :D

platypus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2010, 04:35:39 am »

Awesomeness! Once the bugs are ironed out the only thing missing will be the CryEngine 3 frontend.

\o/ Tarn! \o/

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2010, 07:08:50 am »

Major bonus points if you "get" the seed  :P
I resent the fact there is not even a mention of Dwarf Fortress on your website :<

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2010, 08:32:02 am »

Is there a problem with fish still?  My boys are fishing from a river and catching fish well enough.  The winter comes and no fish!  I'm in a hot climate, not sure exactly how hot, but a large river should not run out of fish.... or does it?  I'll wait until summer again and see if it gets restocked.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2010, 08:46:41 am »

Is there a problem with fish still?  My boys are fishing from a river and catching fish well enough.  The winter comes and no fish!  I'm in a hot climate, not sure exactly how hot, but a large river should not run out of fish.... or does it?  I'll wait until summer again and see if it gets restocked.

There's a report here indicating that there may still be a problem -- apparently the melting point of fish fat is too low or something.

There's also another report that fish aren't working right in arctic oceans.

EsnRedshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2010, 09:30:00 am »

I've got a "dead civilization" too. After I reached late winter with no Dwarven caravan, I checked the civ screen- "No important leaders". How common is this? And is there a way to figure it out on the Embark screen so I can avoid it next time?

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2010, 09:37:38 am »

In case anyone here doesn't read the dev logs, it appears that 0.31.07 should be a big improvement for people who've had problems with workaholics:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2010-06-11
Quote from: Today One
  • allowed options screen from dwarf/adv mode setup
  • made workers stop taking new jobs if they can and want to eat/drink/sleep instead
  • reduced hunger/thirst/drowsiness skill/speed penalties
  • made hunger/thirst/drowsiness thoughts occur a bit later in the process
  • made certain jobs like updating records and partying quittable at any time due to hunger/thirst/drowsiness
  • stopped doctors from picking up and dropping their patients repeatedly when it was time to carry them
  • restricted doctors to using tables and traction benches in hospital zones
  • fixed pathfinding problem in special features that were placed within surrounding liquid layers

pushing.robot

• Bay Watcher
  • Wind-Up Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2010, 09:39:57 am »

Quote from: Toady
  • made workers stop taking new jobs if they can and want to eat/drink/sleep instead
  • reduced hunger/thirst/drowsiness skill/speed penalties
  • made hunger/thirst/drowsiness thoughts occur a bit later in the process
  • made certain jobs like updating records and partying quittable at any time due to hunger/thirst/drowsiness

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*gasp*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*gasp*aaaaaaaaaay!

I can play DF again :)

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:42 am »

I've got a "dead civilization" too. After I reached late winter with no Dwarven caravan, I checked the civ screen- "No important leaders". How common is this? And is there a way to figure it out on the Embark screen so I can avoid it next time?

I'm not aware of a way to check for it explicitly, but you can get a fairly good idea of the status of Dwarves quickly enough.  On the screens where you pick a site, there are several different views you can cycle through with TAB, including biomes, slopes, and so on.  One of them lists the various Dwarven civilizations, and you can use secondary-scroll to choose among them.  As you scroll between civs, their strongholds light up in blue on the world map.  I can't be entirely sure, but if I understand things correctly, a Dwarf civ that has multiple strongholds is at least highly likely to still have functional leadership and trade.  If you stick to worlds that have multiple Dwarf civs with multiple strongholds, your odds of being in a "last Dwarven outpost" situation are extremely low, if not zero. 

Now that caravans actually have to travel to your location, it's a good idea to pick a seemingly thriving Dwarf civ (multiple strongholds) that is generally located near your embark site to reduce caravan travel time, so you should be checking this screen anyway. 

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2010, 10:42:07 am »

Checking legends screen and making worldgen history short both help to reduce chances of Dead Civilisation.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2010, 10:51:41 am »

Hi!

First of all, when you gen a world, you get that phase where it is finished and not saved yet, right? You can move around the cursor on the map. Use that!

I always check whether I got the civs I want BEFORE accepting a genned world. To do so, I move over the map until I find an Elven Forest Retreat, a Goblin Dark Tower, a Dwarven settlement, and a Human settlement (note that dwarves and humans may conquer and use forest retreats and dark towers). Note that the map icon does not tell you who lives there, but if you place the cursor on top of a settlement, at the top of the screen, you will get the general information, including the race actually dominating the place.

While not that helpful, there is also the thing that when you embark, your home civ's settlements will be marked in blue on the world map (the right map). So, if your civ is extinct, there will be no blue settlement markers on that map.

In order to support dwarves, you need large mountain chains as that is where dwarves like to settle. Also keep in mind that they need neutral mountains, so good and evil zones are dangerous. Also note that the default settings for caves (not the cavern layer!) are a bit on the numerous side, increasing the odds of racial extinction, so you may want to decrease that number as well.

Deathworks

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2010, 11:18:43 am »

First of all, when you gen a world, you get that phase where it is finished and not saved yet, right? You can move around the cursor on the map. Use that!

...which is great except it doesn't give newer players (like myself -- yeah, I still consider myself one since I can hardly get anywhere in DF :-) ) the ability to look for things which the "Find" phase does (specifically things like River:Yes, Aquifer:No, Flux:Yes).

And worse -- and this has been on my bitchlist for years(?) now -- there's no way to exit the game during the "Start playing" phase.  Do you know how many times I've had to forcefully terminate the Dwarf Fortress.exe process just to exit this phase?  Bad UI design, IMHO.  For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, repro steps:

- Create a new world (or use an existing one)
- Choose "Start Playing", then "Dwarf Fortress"
- Try to figure out how to go back to the main menu from here; Escape does nothing.

Oh, and also, during the "Find" phase, Escape does nothing.  You should be able to abort the search by pressing Escape, a key, or something.  It would also be a little more beneficial if there were some more indicators as to what's happening during the "Find" phase; all you get is some colour changing of text.  When it's done searching, you have no idea if where it put you is a place that meets your requirements (I keep finding that this isn't the case) or not.  This then requires you to go back out to the main menu to re-generate a world and..... oh wait, you can't do that (see above).  :-)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:22:11 am by koitsu »
Making life hard for others since 1977.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30