Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: good starting location to get shells?  (Read 1313 times)

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
good starting location to get shells?
« on: June 08, 2010, 04:35:52 am »

I've started several forts yet, some have come to better end than others, but in only one out of 10 I'm getting shells. So what are the preferred biomes or regions to be able to gather shells? Or is wildlife simply generated randomly? (There is some random stuff in creating wildlife since I once embarked two times in one location and one time there were carps around, the other time there weren't)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: good starting location to get shells?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:45:57 am »

The raws say Turtles should show up in any murky pools (provided it's not winter) and Mussels should show up in any ocean, lake or river. 31.05 has more or less fixed the fishing bug which destroyed all fish in the world before. I'm not sure what still causes there to be nothing to catch whatsoever - incidentally you are trying to catch them with a moderately skilled Fisherdwarf? While I don't have hard evidence, it feels like there's only a certain number of times you can fish and this counter depletes even if your dwarf botches and catches nothing.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

catnarok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:48:38 am »

Can't tell you for certain, but every time I've had a river or brook nearby turtles like to pop up occasionally. Seems pretty rare when they do, though, and they don't even hang around long enough for me to get to them.

Mainly my shells have come from trading for turtles. Traders that like to carry lots of food with them almost always have more turtles than I need.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:06:26 am »

Can't tell you for certain, but every time I've had a river or brook nearby turtles like to pop up occasionally. Seems pretty rare when they do, though, and they don't even hang around long enough for me to get to them.

Mainly my shells have come from trading for turtles. Traders that like to carry lots of food with them almost always have more turtles than I need.

I've forgot to say I'm playing DF2010, as your answer seems do be for 40d. Or is there any way for creating shells of traded turtles in DF2010?

The raws say Turtles should show up in any murky pools (provided it's not winter) and Mussels should show up in any ocean, lake or river. 31.05 has more or less fixed the fishing bug which destroyed all fish in the world before. I'm not sure what still causes there to be nothing to catch whatsoever - incidentally you are trying to catch them with a moderately skilled Fisherdwarf? While I don't have hard evidence, it feels like there's only a certain number of times you can fish and this counter depletes even if your dwarf botches and catches nothing.

ah, ok. Maybe I should designate fishing zones mostly around lakes as dwarves seem to prefer brooks and rivers for fishing. Maybe I'll also mod in a reaction to create shells from turtles, also from the traded ones (because in some forts you simply don't want your fisherdwarves to go outdoors with evil swamp monsters lurking around. (for modded reactions no regen is necessery, or is it?)

catnarok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:11:31 am »

I've forgot to say I'm playing DF2010, as your answer seems do be for 40d. Or is there any way for creating shells of traded turtles in DF2010?

I'm on DF2010 also. I didn't mention that I also have to hope that a few dwarves with a taste for turtle meat are running around my fortress. Once they eat one someone will deposit its shell into my refuse pile for use by those in need of a shell.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:08:31 am »

Why not embark with extra turtles and cave lobsters?

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:23:48 am »

I'm on DF2010 also. I didn't mention that I also have to hope that a few dwarves with a taste for turtle meat are running around my fortress. Once they eat one someone will deposit its shell into my refuse pile for use by those in need of a shell.
In DF2010, you now get shells from turtles by fish cleaning in a fishery.  It allegedly happens with oysters and mussels too, but I've not seen that.  I find this easier, because as long as I'm catching turtles I can clean them and don't have to wait for a passing dorf to eat them.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:51:27 am »

ah, ok. Maybe I should designate fishing zones mostly around lakes as dwarves seem to prefer brooks and rivers for fishing. Maybe I'll also mod in a reaction to create shells from turtles, also from the traded ones (because in some forts you simply don't want your fisherdwarves to go outdoors with evil swamp monsters lurking around. (for modded reactions no regen is necessery, or is it?)
Not lakes. Murky pools, those things dotted everywhere that refill on rain.

Also, in case of emergency, mod say "make coal from bituminous coal" or some other metallurgy reaction to give you shells as a byproduct. The elegant solution is to worldgen with a modded in domestic creature that drops a shell on butchering - CivForge had giant cave crabs for this purpose.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:06:39 am »

I don't think anyone has a working "produce shells" reaction. Bodyparts don't work the same ways they used to. Note the lack of ability to make Shell stockpiles.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 09:17:29 am »

The easiest raw-editing solution is to add the [SHELL] tag to hair, hoof, scale, etc.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:18:36 pm »

I'm getting shellfish in the latest version from a river. Not a brook tho, an actual river.

Also, if your murky pools have dried up but you have a river or brook, you can connect them up to refill them, and they will still count as "murky pools" for fishing purposes.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:39:35 pm »

Any non-flowing freshwater water should give turtles.  I've seen it act that way in 40d and 31.x
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 01:41:21 pm »

I got intermittent turtles from murky pools in 31.03 and I'm getting pretty steady turtles from murky pools in 31.05.  This is all on temperate sites with overlapping mountain and forest biomes and a river or brook.  (If you're somehow not getting any murky pools at all I don't know what to tell you, but that doesn't sound like the problem.)  I'm not even sure I have seen turtles in brooks and rivers, I haven't watched closely enough, but I know I've seen them in pools.

Also, Psieye is right, for whatever reason starting with a competent fisherdwarf makes a big difference.  On a careful prep for journey, I give one expendable dwarf 5 ranks in fisher with minor dodge and swim (and a dabbling craft skill for moods).

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 04:03:28 pm »

I don't think anyone has a working "produce shells" reaction. Bodyparts don't work the same ways they used to. Note the lack of ability to make Shell stockpiles.
Darn that's a point, I was sure it was there but stringdump doesn't have it. Very well, plan B: mod cats to have shells. More readily available than trying to find hair/cartilage/hoof (though they're available in common domestic animals too).

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 04:43:57 pm »

In DF2010, you now get shells from turtles by fish cleaning in a fishery. 

Thought this was worth repeating; and I also found that it helped to make sure that your fish cleaners were different from your fishers.  The fishers tend to focus entirely on fishing and totally ignore cleaning. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: [1] 2