Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salt Monster?  (Read 888 times)

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Salt Monster?
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:42:40 pm »

I just got a notice saying that the lost one "Kor Gorrothkurik" has arrived. It is a blob of salt with a tail.

My question is: Will it dissolve in water? Because if so, I already have the entire first cave system connected directly to a river. Pull the lever and poof, no monster.
But I would rather not do that and then find out that nothing happens.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Monster?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

Its one of those unkillable beasts. Inorganic solid creatures are unkillable with regular weapons currently.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:55:11 pm »

if it has lungs (for some reason) it'll still work, so pull the lever and hope; it probably won't work though
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »

The whole Forgotten Beast feature has raised a plethora of lame bugs/features that need to get fixed asap. It's way more urgent than some of the things he's been working on.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:45:54 pm »

The whole Forgotten Beast feature has raised a plethora of lame bugs/features that need to get fixed asap. It's way more urgent than some of the things he's been working on.
I think crashes are a bit more urgent than unkillable megabeasts, which sometimes (in my eyes, at least) should be unkillable. Or very hard to kill.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:29:15 pm »

They're not unkillible, they just can't be killed with axes and crossbows. It seems reasonable to me that some creatures require caveins, magma, etc to be killed.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:45:37 pm »

They're not unkillible, they just can't be killed with axes and crossbows. It seems reasonable to me that some creatures require caveins, magma, etc to be killed.

I definitely agree that titans, forgotten beasts, and other mythical creatures should be hard to kill. You need to kill them with dwarven engineering and dwarven science. Mere hammers and axes cannot hope to stop them.

Its as it should be.

But some people complain about it.  :(

Also forgotten beasts really should take up more than 1 tile. Multi-tile creatures are not in the game yet, but if sizes were accurately represented in the game that forgotten beast would probably be like 8 tiles across. You're going to need some more firepower to take it down. All you can hope to do is hurt it with axes, but you cannot kill something so huge and so old with simple axes.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:15:25 pm »

Multi-tile creatures are not in the game yet
I feel a nitpicky urge to point out wagons are technically creatures.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:17:08 pm »

And, indeed, you can mod in things to be created out of "wagon bones" and make buckets of "wagon blood".
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:35:04 pm »

I thought wagons were taken out of the game in 31? I sure haven't seen any.

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:45:12 pm »

maybe your civ is dead...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »

I thought wagons were taken out of the game in 31? I sure haven't seen any.

They most definitely were not removed - they're still in the creature definitions (see creature_equipment.txt). The most likely reason you never see them is because none of your nearby civilizations have access to muskoxen, the only creatures in 0.31 that have [WAGON_PULLER] (in 40d, horses were also eligible, and horses are domestic and thus available to everyone).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:56:56 pm »

And, indeed, you can mod in things to be created out of "wagon bones" and make buckets of "wagon blood".
I've seen "larch wagon" on my units list as deceased before.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:40:51 am »

well, the local ELVES have muskoxen (I traded for some!) but I guess they wouldn't use wagons anyway.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]