Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Personal Ethics  (Read 1677 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Personal Ethics
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:32:57 pm »

Okay. So currently, we've got our entity ethics tags, which are understood to be the ethics of an individual civilization, which define their laws, their relationships with other nations, so on and so forth.

I have a problem with this system. Not because it's not working (it works fine), but it basically defines ethics from the top-down sense, rather than how it normally works.

I suggest that, as a tag for individual sapient creatures, personal ethics be implemented.

Basically, this would be near the same thing as the general ethics tags, except rather than the old style of UNTHINKABLE/SHUN/ACCEPTABLE/EXILE or so on, which would be defined in the entity entry for violating that civilization's general position on an issue, they would be something like the personality tags, having an attribute range. This would basically allow for criminal behavior, which is impossible in fort mode unless a dwarf goes insane or someone fails a mandate.

It'd ideally make for more interesting Legends Mode entries - for example, someone with a positive attitude towards theft might steal from his own civ and be jailed, someone with a positive attitude towards murder might go on a killing spree (rather than the blanket MURDER EVERYONE ethic all goblins seem to have) and so on. It'd basically inject a lot more personality into individual people within the world.

Additionally, though this bit should be harder, it would allow the Civilization's ethics, their laws, to develop naturally from the ethics of its people. This makes for another interesting possibility: say one entity conquers another. The conquered people would most likely be "oppressed" due to the clash of their ethics with the conquerors' ethics. Or, a goblin civilization that is entirely human due to kidnapping and breeding would eventually tend towards less violence, because the personality range and ethical disposition of the people becomes less prone to violence.

Of course, the civilization a creature is raised in should alter its ethical tendencies somewhat.

Any thoughts, people?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Ethics
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »

Rather like it.
Later, sure, but a good concept.
Races could have modifiers ranging from -2 to +2, with the average prevalent, and a civ could be generated wtih +-1 on specific values.
Then, the ruling people would create the laws of that civ, and if too many people dislike it, there is a random chance of an uprise.

Might get way complex, though.

... How long have I been away?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »

Is complex bad?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:56:52 pm »

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. Complex, sure, but the entire game is. Would have to go along with improvements in dwarven justice, and knowledge limitations (only dwarfs who witnessed a theft would know that it happened, in fortress mode, at least; they would notice that an object was gone, but wouldn't know where it was. Dwarfs could then be punished if stolen objects were found in their quarters, and unethical individuals with grudges could plant objects. Various skills/attributes could be tied into it, so that dwarfs would potentially be able to argue their way out of punishment).

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:22:36 pm »

Frankly, I was just frustrated that all my dwarves that get Justice'd in fort mode are either innocent or not in their right minds at the time of the crime's commission.

This way, dwarves or humans (or whatever) commit actual crimes for which they can be found culpable.

Plus, you know. A human caravan guard with a [STEAL_STUFF] of 100 might swipe a priceless artifact from your fort, justifying the utter destruction of the human race.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:07:21 am »

It'd make an ideal expansion from the religion system ingame. Perhaps the entity's god could influence these ethics?
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:28:30 am »

Culture has a huge impact. Also, don't forget we are dealing with different intelligent creatures whose minds are physically different. That, and because it is more fun imo to keep them different, I think the race ethics should not become mild in effect. Also I'd hate to have to constantly comb over individual traits when selecting dwarfs for jobs, trying to figure out who should do what can sometimes be a headache already.

All that, and to reduce needed memory to keep track of all this (500 megs of ram and slow saving are already common): Each individual could only have a random number of ethics between 0 and 2 defined, with undefined ethics assumed to be the norm for their race.

Good idea or not, I'd not want to see this implemented until the distant future when at least dwarf behavior bugs have all been ironed out, folded, starched, and stacked in the dresser of forgotten times.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:31:44 am by Sfon »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:33:18 am »

Is complex bad?
yea.

OBJECTION!

I would argue that it is only bad if it requires the player to go through the complex actions. If the complex calculations and the like happen completely seperate from the player (like in world generation), it is good. I would therefore say that complexity in a matter like this can be good: You just need to make it so players can safely ignore it (be it through limiting the impact it would have or disabling in altogether) and all will be good.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12:21 pm »

Interesting, you could potentiality alter the ethics of an civilization as an adventurer by simply murdering however docent have the right traits... 
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:35:45 pm »

Altering the Ethics sounds sorta of like what i suggested. Not fully like it, but close. Basically editing the laws would mean changing the ethics of your fortress, regardless of a civilization's ethics.

Personal ethics do sound good though. Having ones ability to place ones ethics into play would make it more realistic.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 04:35:04 am »

Something else, though.Toady mentioned that he would (at some point) make it possible, as an adventurer, to order your people around - tell them to handle tasks around your lodge or stronghold, so on and so forth. In theory, you could probably tell them to kill someone. So asking an underling who is disinclined to killing to assassinate the mayor of Beardgravel would be a bad idea; asking the resident psychopath would be a good idea.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 11:13:59 pm »

Hell, it's bump time.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »

Culture has a huge impact. Also, don't forget we are dealing with different intelligent creatures whose minds are physically different. That, and because it is more fun imo to keep them different, I think the race ethics should not become mild in effect. Also I'd hate to have to constantly comb over individual traits when selecting dwarfs for jobs, trying to figure out who should do what can sometimes be a headache already.

All that, and to reduce needed memory to keep track of all this (500 megs of ram and slow saving are already common): Each individual could only have a random number of ethics between 0 and 2 defined, with undefined ethics assumed to be the norm for their race.

Good idea or not, I'd not want to see this implemented until the distant future when at least dwarf behavior bugs have all been ironed out, folded, starched, and stacked in the dresser of forgotten times.

Exactly. Although, you could consider that a civilization's Ethics are not a static thing. Culture changes over time, and isolated communities tend to differ from the general populace if they aren't in constant contact.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »

Yes, I do rather want the in-game civilizations to have a more fluid evolution. After all, when you're dealing with 1050+ years of history, a lot can change - Elven attitudes towards cannibalism, for example. And these would begin from the ground up, with large numbers individuals who are most predominantly inclined towards a certain behavior causing the change.
Pages: [1] 2